Netflix Launches In 130 New Countries

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by HardOCP News, Jan 6, 2016.

1. HardOCP News

HardOCP News [H] News

Reed Hastings took the stage in Las Vegas today to announce that Netflix is now available in 130 additional countries. The one country not on the list was China, but Hastings said he hopes to be there "in the future."

CEO Reed Hastings made the announcement today in Las Vegas: Netflix is now available in 130 additional countries as of today, including emerging markets like India, Indonesia, Russia, Azerbaijan, and developed markets like Singapore and South Korea. Then Hastings made a loaded statement. “While you have been listening to me talk,” he said. “The Netflix service has gone life in nearly every country of the world but China—where we hope to also be in the future.”

2. mastaBlasta

mastaBlasta Gawd

I think it would be worthwhile for netflix to enhance it's foreign language content.

I don't know if it's me getting older or general hipster snobbishness but I find many foreign films much more interesting than mainstream US films. They're more humanly authentic, less politically correct, less predictable, less Apple product placement etc.

3. Iching

Iching [H]ard|Gawd

They used to make good movies in America but it's a joke today. I watch a lot of foreign content since I'm from Europe nut live in the States and I find myself watching Korean movies a lot.

4. Denpepe

Denpepe [H]ard|Gawd

I'm using the service here in Belgium, and while I can see a lot of nice series, the amount of movies is miniscule, one of the last recent movies I wanted to watch on there was also the first, guardians of the galaxy, also watched a few older ones, so far the amount of series keeps me returning, but some more and recent movies would surely help in keeping me interested.

5. Tuxon86

Tuxon86 Limp Gawd

I hope they get a better selection than the ridiculous one that we have in Canada...
    Moviwe distribution rights are a pain in the ...

6. Yakk

Yakk [H]ardness Supreme

Can only imagine the paperwork needed for distribution rights worldwide... Wow...

All the restrictions per country is ridiculous, wonder if the distribution system will ever evolve though...

7. /usr/home

/usr/home [H]ardness Supreme

That's what a VPN or DNS proxy is for ;)

8. jj14

jj14 [H]Lite

It should be been this way long ago, Too many companies trying to hold onto the TV age still. Just now to work on the same or similar content on the different country version.

9. faugusztin

faugusztin 2[H]4U

AFAIK it is even worse. For example here in Slovakia they don't have even their own House Of Cards, because Netflix sold the rights to it to a local TV.

Paperwork ? Nah, they simply don't have most of the content. They have globally only around ~8-10% of the US Netflix content.

10. bloodypulp

bloodypulp Gawd

Does this mean it's now officially OK to share my account with foreign relatives?

11. M76

M76 [H]ardForum Junkie

So can you watch netflix on a computer?