Netflix Knocks Out Marvel’s "Iron Fist"

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
In a surprise for a brand that seemed too popular to fail, Netflix has canceled Marvel’s “Iron Fist,” leaving the second season’s cliffhanger a permanent one. The show has been criticized for many reasons, such as uninspired fight scenes, which was inexcusable for a martial arts series. Those who did manage to enjoy “Iron Fist” believe the show could be revived on Disney’s upcoming streaming service.

“Marvel’s Iron Fist will not return for a third season on Netflix,” said the Disney-owned comic giant and the streamer in a joint statement to Deadline today. “Everyone at Marvel Television and Netflix is proud of the series and grateful for all of the hard work from our incredible cast, crew and showrunners,” Marvel and Netflix added. “We’re thankful to the fans who have watched these two seasons, and for the partnership we’ve shared on this series.”

Yeah it was never in the same league as the other 3 Marvel shows. The second season was vastly improved over the first, but still not enough to get it up to par. If they had started out where Season 2 ended it may have had a shot.

I can’t really say I will miss it.

yea I watched it, but I always thought the lead actor was an epic fail. People fall in love with characters, but he never could build a connection. From the start it was just bad acting and bad fight scenes by him. I sort learned to get past it but man I would be the first one to admit it was just a bad choice on the lead actor.

SPOILER BELOW

So is he getting his magical powers back for Defenders or is that scrapped too? They screwed up passing the power of the Iron Fist around like they did.

Cancel Jessica Jones and Defenders too please. Cage, DareDevil, and the Punisher should stay. Jessica is a support role in my eyes, put her in the other 3 for bits and pieces.

i liked daredevil and defenders. punisher was borrrrrrringggg. watched 1 episode of jessica and 1.5 of iron

Defender's isn't coming back right now either. Which given how Cage ended on Season 2, isn't that surprising. Daredevil is still going strong, and Punisher did ok. I suspect you'll see more crossovers between them, even if some no longer have dedicated series

Iron Fist should have been a great addition to the netflix marvel universe. It should have given them an alternate Stark for gadgets (which they touched on slightly with the Misty Knight stuff). With both DareDevil and Luke Cage Netflix took the story in a (slightly) more grounded realistic direction... not introducing any of the more corny comic aspects until later or as a short tip of the hat nod to hardcore comic fans. Iron fist will be the property that should have been... cast properly and written different it could have been one of the best Netflix comic shows.

It needed a lead that could fight (Asian or not) it needed an actor that could do their own fight scenes (my 13 year old daughter made a funny observation as we where watching season one... laughing that here comes the fight scene and the double switch every time Finn Jones pulled up his hoodie)

It also needed to be written in away to deemphasize how winy and annoying the Danny Rand character can be. Netflix changed Cage and Daredevil characters in a lot of ways to make them more sympathetic. The IF writers didn't do the same for Rand. Its easy to blame Finn Jones for the annoying character but I would say the blame is squarely on the writers making some bad choices. In the comics sure Rand is an annoying basically Luke Cage side kick... but for the show that is NOT the direction they should have went. Rand came off as an annoying Buddhist wanna be... and the monks that would have trusted him with something like the Iron Fist deserved their fate.

hopefully Finn Jones will always be remembered as Ser Loras Tyrell and not the horrible Iron Fist show...

While season 1 was kinda bad and s2 was just ok, I was kinda excited to see s3.

I get sick of good titles getting the chop while copied themes and typical crap soars.

Be different.

I'll stop watching netflix originals all together so I don't get stuck with unresolved plots

Iron Fist should have been a great addition to the netflix marvel universe. It should have given them an alternate Stark for gadgets (which they touched on slightly with the Misty Knight stuff). With both DareDevil and Luke Cage Netflix took the story in a (slightly) more grounded realistic direction... not introducing any of the more corny comic aspects until later or as a short tip of the hat nod to hardcore comic fans. Iron fist will be the property that should have been... cast properly and written different it could have been one of the best Netflix comic shows.

It needed a lead that could fight (Asian or not) it needed an actor that could do their own fight scenes (my 13 year old daughter made a funny observation as we where watching season one... laughing that here comes the fight scene and the double switch every time Finn Jones pulled up his hoodie)

It also needed to be written in away to deemphasize how winy and annoying the Danny Rand character can be. Netflix changed Cage and Daredevil characters in a lot of ways to make them more sympathetic. The IF writers didn't do the same for Rand. Its easy to blame Finn Jones for the annoying character but I would say the blame is squarely on the writers making some bad choices. In the comics sure Rand is an annoying basically Luke Cage side kick... but for the show that is NOT the direction they should have went. Rand came off as an annoying Buddhist wanna be... and the monks that would have trusted him with something like the Iron Fist deserved their fate.

I don't know the comics, they were not a thing here in Belgium when I was a kid, I do know the characters a bit, I found the first season of Iron fist pretty bad, the 2nd even worse at some points.

The other series based on the Marvel stuff were better imo, Daredevil the weaker one for me, the bad guy in the first series of Jessica Jones was not my thing but at least he's gone, her char is more fun to watch for me anyways, Luke Cage was pretty good imo.

But since I don't know the comics I don't know how the char's and plots stick to the original material so that may be an advantage for me or the opposite.

I thought the show was ok. But not all thr marvel tv shows are going to go over that well and be for everyone

Aw man, they cancelled Colleen Fist show? Well shucks, I’m just heartbroken.

Seriously, this show was so stupid and poorly written. They made Iron Fist a whiny, brooding bitch, and focused way too much on Colleen. Danny was always second fiddle to her skills, even going so far as to make her his damn teacher is season 2. He’s the “immoral iron fist”, the greatest martial artist in the world, the defend of Kun Lun, and he’s being shown up and trained by little karate girl Colleen. Way to empower your main character, jackasses.

Daredevil was an absolute masterpiece. Not only was Charlie Cox perfect in the role but Vincent D'Nofrio's portrayal of Kingpin was completely brilliant and in my opinion in the same league as Ledger's Joker. Their take on Electra was about perfect as well. There honestly wasn't anything in those 2 seasons I didn't like and I couldn't wait for Netflix's other Marvel shows..... Then the wheels completely fell off.

Jessica Jones was pretty good... Nothing great or worth rewatching but still good. Luke Cage was boring as shit mainly cause while Mike Colter certainly looks the part, he has zero personality and can't act for shit. Iron Fist was just silly from the start, bad on pretty much every level.

I don't know why Netflix couldn't get the other shows anywhere near as good as they nailed Daredevil, same company and I'd assume same group of writers. Oh well, Daredevil's 3rd season is out in a few days so that's all that really matters.

yea I watched it, but I always thought the lead actor was an epic fail. People fall in love with characters, but he never could build a connection. From the start it was just bad acting and bad fight scenes by him. I sort learned to get past it but man I would be the first one to admit it was just a bad choice on the lead actor.

100% agree, the story if you could ignore the acting was pretty decent but i myself could never just out right ignore the how bad the guy was at acting.

I hope they don't misunderstand the message here. The shine isn't gone from Marvel property. They just have to have some quality.

Daredevil was an absolute masterpiece. Not only was Charlie Cox perfect in the role but Vincent D'Nofrio's portrayal of Kingpin was completely brilliant and in my opinion in the same league as Ledger's Joker. Their take on Electra was about perfect as well. There honestly wasn't anything in those 2 seasons I didn't like and I couldn't wait for Netflix's other Marvel shows..... Then the wheels completely fell off.

Jessica Jones was pretty good... Nothing great or worth rewatching but still good. Luke Cage was boring as shit mainly cause while Mike Colter certainly looks the part, he has zero personality and can't act for shit. Iron Fist was just silly from the start, bad on pretty much every level.

I don't know why Netflix couldn't get the other shows anywhere near as good as they nailed Daredevil, same company and I'd assume same group of writers. Oh well, Daredevil's 3rd season is out in a few days so that's all that really matters.

for the most part all 4 shows have different writers and most of the writing is done by the directors which all 4 shows are directed by different people.. daredevil and punisher are by far the two best written shows while luke cage tries way to hard to be relevant to modern society and jessica jones has way to much character building/story telling.. they need to work on pushing the story to where she learns the limits of her powers which they aren't even remotely close to getting to yet.

While I'm disappointed, I can't say this comes as a surprise. I was perplexed people didn't like season 1. I thought it was second only to Daredevil of the 5 Netflix series.

Leaving the show on such a cliffhanger though is really unforgivable Netflix. I hope the Disney streaming service picks the show up. There's a ton of good stories left to tell.

I liked the show for what it was.

What I didn't care for was Danny Rand just being Fail Goku for all of season 1.

What I reacted to most is that the fans are putting hope on Disney... Disney is not the company to put any hopes on these days. A third season on Disney will certainly be worse than nothing...

I'm not even surprised! Like many others, I thought that it would have been canceled after the first season and I was surprised it received the second one. I do hope that they keep Luke Cage for another one though. I've enjoyed all of the Netflix marvel tv shows, but Iron Fist wasn't very good although I think that the second season was much better than the first.

Every first season of every Marvel Netflix show is, essentially, a 4-6 part miniseries ruined by making it 12 or 14 episodes long so we have to revisit the same locations 3-4 times and the same situations 2-3 times. How many times did ninjas attack Iron Fist and the WhiteAsianPerfectBodyAthelticHardEveryBoxChecked female lead......4, 5, 6 times? How many times did we endure Danny breaking into somewhere......or having to revisit the apartment or rand industries..over..and over..and over..only to have Danny have a whiny temper tantrum, or have Luke Cage stare stoically down, or have Jessica JOnes act like a pissed off 12 year old who is basically superman but who hasn't the maturity to do much more than feel sorry for herself.....all the fucking time....and Daredevil. A show that, honestly, could have worked.......if they'd spent the money on 4 or 6 solid episodes and didn't burn 13 episodes trying to establish a guy who, for many of us, was already a 30 year old badass when we started reading the book. T his si like the Teen Titans version of Daredevil to me.

The only compelling characters in any one of them are the Bad Guys. That's sad. EDIT: Wrong, HR, wrong....the woman who plays the nurse, she's the best part of nearly every scene she's in.

Last edited:
I didn't like the main character. He's totally out of place in the world. He's not a businessman, fighter, playboy, or anything really. I pity the poor actor in real life. I hope he did some financial planning. Curly blonde hair on a guy is not a good thing. Sorry, man. Cut it short.

I watched one episode of season 2.

This is what annoys me lately. Netflix likes to make a music video out every episode. In Luke Cage it happens six times per episode. I don't have the same musical tastes as the producers. It's really annoying. There is room to do that about ONCE PER SEASON, but not every episode. This far worse than bad acting, writing or fighting to me. I know what they're trying to do and I don't like it.

I can see them doing a Misty and Colleen focused series next, with Danny playing a bit part, and maybe appearing in DD or JJ for a cameo, but he's basically unredeemable as a character other than occasional comic relief.

It was a bad show, if they would have done Powerman & Iron Fist instead of separate shows it would have been better, but they needed a diff guy to play IF. And the fight choreography was horrible. He looked like a ballet dancer not a kung-fu practitioner...and he kinda acted like a little bitch. DD is the best series so far. Punisher is ok...and while that guy is a great actor... He's too short to play Frank Castle. And they stopped even trying to make him appear taller in the series like they did in DD.

I can see them doing a Misty and Colleen focused series next, with Danny playing a bit part, and maybe appearing in DD or JJ for a cameo, but he's basically unredeemable as a character other than occasional comic relief.

Daughters of the Dragon series would be great.

I thought Danny worked best working next to Luke. I'd watch a "Heroes for Hire" series.

Second season was miles better than the first.....but his character was still hard to bear.
Kinda sorry it got cancelled, Would like to see these shows keep going a bit more

Second season of JJ and LC were I thought much better than the first as well
Daredevil is still the best of them all IMO

It was alright, but Danny was to much of a crybaby to be likeable, and lost too many fights when he was supposed to be a master of most all martial arts.

I liked Iron Fist as a kid, but even given that, I was skeptical you could make a broadly appealing TV show out of it. When I saw the casting I was even more skeptical. When I made it through daredevil season 2 and saw that it was 80s ninja nostalgia time, I was like.. this is all so doomed. The fact that by the end of that season I was saying to myself that Jennifer Garner's Elektra was really, while entirely awful in every way, clearly the better version.

Back