Netflix ISP Speed Index for July

The Canadian results confuse me. There are really only a few big telecoms in Canada. Bell and Rogers, and out west Shaw (I think, ON native here) and then smaller regional ones like Cogeco. Many of the ISPs listed like Tekksavvy, for example, actually buy bandwidth from the big players yet have better results?

They rent the last mile from the big players. Peering agreements are handled by each ISP.

This is why we need regulation to drop any notion of peering agreements.

When I pay my ISP, I am paying for internet access, not for access to their local network and whomever they allow to let onto it.

It is their responsibility to make sure peering is sufficient for all their users needs, and this is already paid for by the users service fees. It should be illegal for them to ask for compensation from anyone else, peering or not. My subscription fees should be covering any peering with other networks. It's my traffic, I have paid for it.

It's all in how the big boys decide to handle and direct the traffic from X company / source to Z client who made the request from the X source.
So it doesn't really matter how big or little you pipe is if the provider the data is headed to that provider and hamper it at his or her whim. This is nothing new ...
SBC err at&t wanted to do something like this a long time ago when it was buying everyone out ...

This all started to really come out way back in 2006 , http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...acre-bellsouth-and-at-t-purchase-of-at-t-corp

to save some reading here's the best part of the article
Often blunt, Whitacre's comments on the Internet have rankled consumer advocates. Whitacre said that moneymaking Internet companies like Google Inc. and Amazon.com Inc. are getting a free ride because they don't pay to use his network, and he wants that to change.

If he prevails, "it'll be the end of the Internet," warns Mark Cooper, research director for the Consumer Federation of America.
Yeah, basically I think it comes down to the "net neutrality" discussion (or feuding) that the ISPs and content providers have been having without clear direction from the FCC.

Back