Netflix ISP Speed Index for July

To be somewhat fair, FIOS is listed separately, but still way down there for being one or the faster offered services out there.

I had to cancel Netflix because it's so bad on my Fios. I'd cancel Fios because I know it's their fault but Comcast is my only other option and I hate them even more. Amazon Prime has much better quality.

No issues here with suddenlink, but I noticed they were near the top. Going to be moving end of this month and will have time warner cable. Good to see they are at least decent speed. My house hold is heavy on netflix usage. I have amazon prime as well, but since it's not on the apple tv, we don't use it much.

No issues here with suddenlink, but I noticed they were near the top. Going to be moving end of this month and will have time warner cable. Good to see they are at least decent speed. My house hold is heavy on netflix usage. I have amazon prime as well, but since it's not on the apple tv, we don't use it much.

Ugh maybe you shouldn't be using crapple tv in the first place...

I had to cancel Netflix because it's so bad on my Fios. I'd cancel Fios because I know it's their fault but Comcast is my only other option and I hate them even more. Amazon Prime has much better quality.

Netflix on FIOS is pretty bad...Mine has been that way for the last year or so, seems to have gotten a little worse or better depending on which hours we're watching. Netflix is no help and FIOS is no help because speedtest are reporting close to 50Mbps download and 20Mbps upload :confused:

^Ignoring troll post...

What is up with the highest average bring 3.10Mbps? I would think that it would be MBps. I don't think Charter even offers 3 Mbps?

^Ignoring troll post...

What is up with the highest average bring 3.10Mbps? I would think that it would be MBps. I don't think Charter even offers 3 Mbps?

because to stream HD all you really need is a 3Mb feed. no reason for them to stream to you at higher then needed speeds

Granted I didn't start using Netflix till several months ago, I've never had a problem with it in the Dallas area. I wonder why other parts of the nation would be having issues. I don't doubt it though b/c the complaints are rampant. I just think they would be 'selectively' routing in all locations if they were really trying to screw Netflix over.

Comcast is the devil, that's a fact. But other than their horrid pricing and retention antics in my neighborhood they provide a solid 105/25 that never wavers. I have to give them a tip of the hat for giving me a quality connection.

2.png

I'm on fios its much better now, like at the very beginning of this month the route changed for me, but before that omg buffer galore. For those that are interested:
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r29341990-Networking-1st-Proof-of-Verizon-Netflix-Direct-Peering-

Yeah, FIOS Netflix streaming has noticeably improved for me in the last 3 weeks. Before, in prime time I would be lucky to get DVD-quality, and now it's super-crisp HD even in the 7-10pm ET timeframe.

Took them long enough :rolleyes:

Imagine the speeds they'd get if they didn't pay off Verizon...

Shows you what the assholes in power will do in order to try to squeeze more blood from a stone.

I'm going to say this again.

It's time for a public works project: fiber across the conus!!!

ATT Should be ashamed of themselves. A cellular provider beating a fiber one? lol thats rich

If you have Verizon as your ISP, try using a VPN with Netflix. I've read that Verizon internet customers using a VPN get the maximum Netflix quality.

Good on netflix for not bumping Verizon up to the top just because they were paid off.

With TWC in Dallas area and haven't had any issues. I'm not looking forward to this merger. Only TWC and At&T are offered in this area. 2 evils in my book, but which is the lesser?

Have you tried using a proxy? I saw an article covering this and their speeds to Netflix tripled when a proxy was utilized.

Good on netflix for not bumping Verizon up to the top just because they were paid off.

Wut? Netflix doesn't choose where to place ISPs on the list. They check on the client side the speed that of the stream they are receiving, along with the clients ISP. Then put the average speed per ISP on the list. And even though they paid Verizon money to 'fix' the (artificial) bandwidth issues on their network, Verizon still continues to provide shit service and asks for more money.

It's a big scam, and what happens when there is no competition in the market. Look at what's happening in the cities with google fiber. The other big companies are suddenly scrambling to provide similar service because they are losing customers (and for good reason...). Once we get that kind of competition in all markets, these problems will go away by themselves.

Comcast is the devil, that's a fact. But other than their horrid pricing and retention antics in my neighborhood they provide a solid 105/25 that never wavers. I have to give them a tip of the hat for giving me a quality connection.

2.png

I agree Comcast is the devil but almost all of the major ISPs or Net providers anymore are Devils with how they price and shell out their services to their paying customers.
At the beginning of the year I had Comcast at my old residence in San Francisco with a decent 40-50 down load 7-10 upload . Pulling files and non media related content down was always fast and painless but if the content was streaming HD audio or video I just had to give it up... I felt like I was on my old 1.5 mbs ADSL .
Now that I live out in Oakland Ca and I'm using Sonic.net's DSL with 8 mbs down and 2- 3 up & I'm seeing way better HD audio - Video streaming . It's pretty sad that my current DSL speeds seem much more stable than my previous service from Comcast.

Wut? Netflix doesn't choose where to place ISPs on the list. They check on the client side the speed that of the stream they are receiving, along with the clients ISP. Then put the average speed per ISP on the list. And even though they paid Verizon money to 'fix' the (artificial) bandwidth issues on their network, Verizon still continues to provide shit service and asks for more money.

It's a big scam, and what happens when there is no competition in the market. Look at what's happening in the cities with google fiber. The other big companies are suddenly scrambling to provide similar service because they are losing customers (and for good reason...). Once we get that kind of competition in all markets, these problems will go away by themselves.
Unfortunately in this day and age competition does not equal better and or cheap services for the paying customer. Until FCC and State PUCs actually start doing their jobs /what they are suppose to do + get out of the pockets of big Business and actually come out with sensible fair rules and regulations regarding who is regulated what is regulated , along with implementing and enforcing real Net neutrality these issues will only get worse.

We MUST separate INTERNET PROVIDERS from MEDIA CONGLOMERATES.

It's a blatant conflict of interest on several levels, as situations and charts like this show.

Verizon FIOS, is higher... I personally don't expect Verizon outside of that to be all that good.

But U-verse, and wer'e not talking ATT DSL (at least I don't think so)... that's the one that amazes me. Looks really bad. Maybe they don't care??

I do find it pretty pitiful that the US has such slower speeds than Canada. Canada is more spread out in general, so it should mean that it would cost more to maintain faster speed equipment and cabling. Yet, despite the higher cost, our ISPs aren't keeping up.

I actually really like that this exists (as Netflix itself seems to imply, it seems to help keep these companies a little more honest about fixing the speeds). However, at least for me, it's a little less useful given I use one of those contractor ISP's. While I'm pretty sure my internet is delivered by Century Link, given I don't have a mainstream speed package (40mbs/40mbs fiber for my building), and it's managed by a smaller ISP independently. I at least HOPE that the listed speed average isn't what I would get.

I actually did notice that in the US the cable internet companies are on top of the DSL and even fiber, whereas in Canada the breakdown seems more accurate and how it should be....probably not a coincidence.

I have Bright House and I download at 8 MB/s

:3

Had Suddenlink before too, priced better, but about half the speed.

Anyone notice that #16 in Canada is a DSL service that would land at #9 on the US list?

#15 in Canada would rank at #6 in US, just below Comcast... ahead of Verizon, Verizon FIOS, ATT, U-verse, and Time Warner Cable.

How is it that those DSL companies had faster speeds than fiber optic services from AT&T and VZ?

Too bad Google Fiber wasn't listed, otherwise they would've blown that list to shreds.

I really fucking love Charter.

Well, not love. Really like, but I know that bitch fucks me over every now and then.

Netflix on FIOS is pretty bad...Mine has been that way for the last year or so, seems to have gotten a little worse or better depending on which hours we're watching. Netflix is no help and FIOS is no help because speedtest are reporting close to 50Mbps download and 20Mbps upload :confused:

Ditto.

The choices are bad here. I can choose Comcast or FiOS.

FiOS has BRILLIANT speeds to pretty much everything except Netflix.

Comcast is shitty all around, but ever since the major protection money paid to them from Netflix, their Netflix speeds are awesome.

Something has to be done to stop this racket. TRUE Net neutrality where my ISP is responsible for providing me any traffic to or from my network regardless of where it goes or what other network it traverses along the way. That's what I pay them for.

How is it that those DSL companies had faster speeds than fiber optic services from AT&T and VZ?

Too bad Google Fiber wasn't listed, otherwise they would've blown that list to shreds.

It's all in how the big boys decide to handle and direct the traffic from X company / source to Z client who made the request from the X source.
So it doesn't really matter how big or little you pipe is if the provider the data is headed to that provider and hamper it at his or her whim. This is nothing new ...
SBC err at&t wanted to do something like this a long time ago when it was buying everyone out ...

This all started to really come out way back in 2006 , http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...acre-bellsouth-and-at-t-purchase-of-at-t-corp

to save some reading here's the best part of the article
Often blunt, Whitacre's comments on the Internet have rankled consumer advocates. Whitacre said that moneymaking Internet companies like Google Inc. and Amazon.com Inc. are getting a free ride because they don't pay to use his network, and he wants that to change.

If he prevails, "it'll be the end of the Internet," warns Mark Cooper, research director for the Consumer Federation of America.

I feel like this is the obvious answer but I haven't heard this before: why doesn't everyone just use a VPN?

I feel like this is the obvious answer but I haven't heard this before: why doesn't everyone just use a VPN?

It has been mentioned before. And yes, for right now, a VPN is a workaround, however, one shouldn't have pay even more money just to get a service FiOS should be providing in the first place.

I do find it pretty pitiful that the US has such slower speeds than Canada. Canada is more spread out in general, so it should mean that it would cost more to maintain faster speed equipment and cabling. Yet, despite the higher cost, our ISPs aren't keeping up.

Yes Canada is a large county, however ~75-80% of us live within 100 miles of the US border.

The Canadian results confuse me. There are really only a few big telecoms in Canada. Bell and Rogers, and out west Shaw (I think, ON native here) and then smaller regional ones like Cogeco. Many of the ISPs listed like Tekksavvy, for example, actually buy bandwidth from the big players yet have better results?

Back