Netflix Is the Number One Choice for TV Viewing

cageymaru

Fully [H]
According to a survey of 2,500 U.S. adults by Cowen & Co., Netflix is now the number one choice for viewing television in America. The participants were simply asked, "Which platforms do you use most often to view video content on TV?" The results showed that Netflix beat out institutions including broadcast TV, Hulu, Youtube, and Cable TV. Netflix viewership is particularly entrenched in the age 18 - 34 crowd otherwise known as millennials. 40% of millenials polled picked Netflix over the second highest choice Youtube which only managed to garner a paltry 17% of the vote. Cable TV was only more popular if you eliminated the cord cutters from the survey and even then Netflix's mind share was extremely close.

Netflix is scheduled to report second quarter 2018 results on Monday, July 16, after market close. The company has forecast net adds of 5 million international subscribers and 1.2 million U.S. subs. Cowen & Co.’s Blackledge is particularly bullish on Netflix’s international prospects, raising the long-term price target on the company’s shares from $375 to $430 per share. The firm expects Netflix international subs to grow from 83.6 million at the end of 2018 to 255.2 million in 2028 (up from its previous estimate of 243.9 million).

i have netflix, and to be honest there isnt a whole lot on there worth watching.
Yeah, Amazon Prime sucks. Only good for Grand Tour and Expanse.

There's alot of good TV on Netflix and Amazon, the problem is sifting through the mountain of junk to find it.

For all their popularity, their own recommendation algos aren't very good. You basically have to look up highly rated shows on other sites to find anything. Personally, I like trolling media savvy forums, like SB/SV or TVTropes, but the internet is a vast source of recs.

I watch far more Amazon Prime than Netflix. Bosch, Expanse, Goliath, Banshee, Salvation, Highlander, Babylon 5, and many others make AP more valuable to me. The only Netflix shows I like are Daredevil and Punisher.

That's funny.. I was just about to cancel my Netflix .. Haven't watched it in ages due to the VPN block they implemented

most everything good on netflix to watch, i already have downloaded, of course thats just my experience

We love our Netflix. We have Amazon Prime but hardly use it. Binged The Tick than quickly went back to Netflix at the very most. We left Cable long long ago.

I watch far more Amazon Prime than Netflix. Bosch, Expanse, Goliath, Banshee, Salvation, Highlander, Babylon 5, and many others make AP more valuable to me. The only Netflix shows I like are Daredevil and Punisher.

Each has their own. There's quite a few good series I like on Netflix.

For Amazon, you can add: Sneaky Pete and Man in the High Castle

For Hulu: Futureman and 11.22.63 (it's a one off)

I also buy new series on Amazon as they come out. Between that and Netflix I have way too much to watch and will never catch up on shows I like.

Issue I have with amazon video is its hard to find relevant stuff (using Google is with amazon video as search term is sometimes easier)

Not that Netflix is Any worse as I do a search for something Netflix auto complete gets it right then brings up anything but what I was searching for (because it did not Have the movie or TV show I was looking for or is not available in my region)

I wonder if my 3 year old daughter watching Cars 3 and Barbie movies all day have anything to do with it...

i need a time machine so i can go back and buy netflix stock.

never thought they would get this big. Cable companies didn't see it coming.

NetFlix is our only pay service, and suits our needs. Occasionally watch free services like Crackle and Tubi.

i need a time machine so i can go back and buy netflix stock.

never thought they would get this big. Cable companies didn't see it coming.
Me too. Did not think snail mail DVDs would be that popular. Then there was streaming. And we all know how that went. Almost pulled the trigger on $500 worth of NetFlix stock back in 2002. Would be worth over $100k now. Though being the profit taker that I am, likely would have sold it long before that.

I still use traditional cable- Verizon FiOS...but my contract runs out in September and I'm looking into cutting the cord and going with something like YouTube TV or DirectTV Now

We watch a lot of Netflix - followed by Hulu at our house. I download shows from Netflix and watch while taking the bus to/from work. Nice way to pass the time and catch up on shows. Waiting on Jessica Jones Season 3.

i havent paid for cable tv in years.. matter of fact, i havent turned on a tv in my house to watch tv in years. Watch everything from my pc

Netflix content quality has definitely taken a steep drop off, whereas Amazon Prime Video has definitely jumped way up. Pretty much a 2 team race at this point.

I just recently canceld my Netfix sub, 6 months ago I was finding a good amount of shows on there. But the last couple months they have not added any worthwhile content. Starting streaming my own media, and watching Youtube all for free. I'm about to cancel my comcast as well, and just keep my 300mb internet.

i havent paid for cable tv in years.. matter of fact, i havent turned on a tv in my house to watch tv in years. Watch everything from my pc

me too. Even though I have a 4k TV as a pc monitor, I just watch the pirate rips of tv shows.

Unfortunately, Netflix an Amazon aren't great about supporting PCs :(.

The Windows Store app is the only way to even get 5.1 Netflix, otherwise it's all low bitrate 2.0... and it's bad quality in the browser for every other service.

You don't get any image adjustments, good upscalers/sharpeners or motion interpolation unless you use a TV either.

I wish Chrome and the associated media extensions would integrate mpv one of these days.

I'm really psyched about the upcoming season of High Castle!!

Those were excellent shows, IMO. I also just watched Hand of God and Goliath on Amazon Prime...good stuff!

I agree with shpankey in regards to Amazon Prime stepping up their game vs Netflix.

There's alot of good TV on Netflix and Amazon, the problem is sifting through the mountain of junk to find it.

For all their popularity, their own recommendation algos aren't very good. You basically have to look up highly rated shows on other sites to find anything. Personally, I like trolling media savvy forums, like SB/SV or TVTropes, but the internet is a vast source of recs.
The algo seemed to have been optimized pretty well for me before they made the switch from star reviews to thumbs up/down. Now it's a total crapshoot again like before I trained it by rating a bunch of stuff.

As far as there being "nothing on" I find that criticism hard to believe at this point. Unless you literally only want to watch HBO type stuff or first-run Hollywood movies.

I haven't had Cable TV since.... I dunno, 2005?
In it's place, I have Netflix, Hulu, CBS All Access, NBC, CW, and YouTube.

I only pay for three of those services, and a few friends and I made an agreement to "account swap" since the ones I don't pay for, my friends do pay for. So it all evens out in the end.

Yesterday, watched six episodes of Shameless and four episodes of Parts Unknown on Netflix. Watched zero minutes of Spectrum even though it comes with my apartment.

I like my thousand channels and movie channels, affords me the opportunity to stream any of the major pay channels on basically any device I have. One bill, triple play...all good.

I like my thousand channels and movie channels, affords me the opportunity to stream any of the major pay channels on basically any device I have. One bill, triple play...all good.
I look at it like this: Time spent in front of the TV at home, is less time spent going out and often routinely spending $100 or more at some other entertainment venue. One movie? Add in grabbing dinner and/or a snack or stopping for drinks on the way home afterward, that one night can easily wind up over that hundred. So the cable/internet bill basically pays for itself. I bought a Hitachi Home-1 projector in 2004, dvd quality, and basically stopped going out to the theaters; a 10' picture in my living room, comfy seats, and cold beer made that a complete no brainer. Sold the Hitachi and upgraded to a Sony HD projector ten years later. I have no need or desire for 4K; actually, the reasons I switched to the Sony was because bulbs were more than 50% cheaper and it had a HDMI input, not because the Hitachi was found wanting in viewing enjoyment.

Super high resolution and surround sound fans most likely grew up focusing on the wrong things; if you spend your time viewing a movie noticing blades of grass and trying to figure out where the sound is coming from, the storyteller has done a very crappy job of keeping your attention to what's going on on the screen. Today's movie stories almost always suck. The studios rely on special effects and blowing things up so much, they ignore that their scripts are often found wanting. I went to see Heredity this past weekend, the IMDB score was 7.7. That usually means a well regarded film. But there were so many plot holes it was ridiculous, nothing scary, and I think perhaps all the reviews were done by pre-teens considering just how bad this movie was for an adult. Without the huge screen, this was no better than watching a Chuck Norris TV show; poor acting, poor script, poor directing.
In contrast, you can find hundreds of finely scripted B&W films on youtube that are better in the tiny window than most so called blockbuster films in theaters today. I'm not saying all old movies are great; but since they had to rely on the story being told to hold the audience's interest, those stories were better than the crap being released today, not to mention the crap sequels and prequels created because writers no longer have any original thoughts.

Look for good stories. Even good documentaries. They far exceed the visual quality in importance.

After all, what's better, Casablanca on a 19" vintage black and white TV or watching 'It's Pat' in IMAX?

Last edited:
for us, its Hulu, then netflix then amazon prime, then the Smithsonian channel via the roku

but we pay for the top hulu package which gives us lots of Channels, of which we mainly watch HGTV and food network. We had tried slingTV for that.. but man.. they were simply HORRID with their commercials. With Hulu, we get almost NO commercials on most shows.

we havent paid for cable/sat TV in many years.

EDIT: correct from spike to sling tv..

Last edited:
Did you mean Sling TV?

You could use Philo for Scripps channels.

Scripps Networks = Cooking Channel, DIY Network, Food Network , Great American Country, HGTV, Travel Channel. And Genius Kitchen which doesn't require a subscription

The algo seemed to have been optimized pretty well for me before they made the switch from star reviews to thumbs up/down. Now it's a total crapshoot again like before I trained it by rating a bunch of stuff.

As far as there being "nothing on" I find that criticism hard to believe at this point. Unless you literally only want to watch HBO type stuff or first-run Hollywood movies.

Yeah, the thumb system is when it got really bad. It seems like Netflix actively hid a few shows it should know I really want to watch, ones that I discovered online.

At least Amazon shows you written customer reviews and star + IMDB ratings. Obviously you have to take both with HUGE grains of salt, it's still a good starting point to get a ballpark rating for the show.

I've got Netflix but I don't use it for "TV" in the manner in which this so called survey appears to be considering it, who knows. I haven't owned a physical TV in years, so if they're considering anything that's not a TV as the source then I suppose their results are somewhat accurate, sure. But even in that situation, Netflix isn't my primary way to view things, I don't actually have anything I'd consider my "one stop shop" for all that type of content, I get stuff from all over the place with multiple sources.

Back