Netflix Is Focusing on Sci-Fi, Fantasy Shows to Meet Increasing Demand

I'm hoping they'll do a good job on The Witcher.

I have this fear about The Witcher. GoT had some drama, some action, and a little bit of naughty sex, but it was the drama, the action, and the injustice against your favorite characters that was the meat of the show. I have this small fear that whoever optioned the Witcher is looking for a GoT but they don't understand the market, and they'll just make some fantasy-based Star Trek with tits.

P.S. Which is fine, really.

Oh god no. I love sci-fi and enjoyed watching it in the beginning but gave up in the last season. It's not very good.
Favorite show currently is The Expanse. That sci-fi is so epic.
And I've also started watching Killjoys, seems solid so far. Got high hopes for it since people said it's something in between Firefly and The Expanse.
dark matter wasn't bad but you could obviously tell the budget was about 5 dollars an episode. i'd say killjoy's is more Firefly meets darkmatter more than the expanse(darkmatter is closer in story to the expanse).. ultimately all 3 shows are basically the same story without a different villian and different budgets which is why it was a retarded mistake on syfy's part to air killjoy's and darkmatter at the same time.. it should of been spring = the expanse, summer = darkmatter, fall = killjoys, but instead they basically forced darkmatter into failing.

get Stargate Universe and finish it please netflix
My wife and I were so angry with the cliff hanger at the end of the last season. It took a while for the show to get going, but by the end I really liked it. I think it got off on the wrong foot with many of the fans because the tone was so different than the other SG shows. Also: fat Jack O'Neill.

You see syfy? There is actually demand for scifi, but you abandoned the genre for lightweight garbage.

There are many other shows more worth picking up than SGU. It was painful for a long time, ironically the episodes filmed after they announced it's cancellation were the better ones.

I have this fear about The Witcher. GoT had some drama, some action, and a little bit of naughty sex, but it was the drama, the action, and the injustice against your favorite characters that was the meat of the show. I have this small fear that whoever optioned the Witcher is looking for a GoT but they don't understand the market, and they'll just make some fantasy-based Star Trek with tits.

P.S. Which is fine, really.

It's going to be based more on the books, not the video game. Books are good so I have faith.

I usually find myself at odds with headlines discussing any mass volume of people, but uh.. bravo, in this case.

Escapism is on the rise?

I'm fine with that. I just hope they invest in quality over quantity.

I don't think its Escapism,. Sci-Fi and Fantasy have always tackled issues from the real world in fantastic ways as moral, ethical, cautionary tales some of the better Anime do the same exact things, but in reality its based and grounded in reality and our crappy problems that occur here............I will say it is escapism for morons who can't see past the shiny effects, nudity, and action. I mean they are icing on the cake, but unless you are smart enough to understand what the author or writers are trying to convey.

I wish, but SyFy owns that, and those guys are pricks from what I understand.

And it's been years, I'm sure most of those actors moved on. The main chubby character got skinny even, lol. It would have to be restarted with new cast.

You know, the show ended with Eli alone and everyone else in cold storage, right? They could explain away the cast aging as a technical malfunction in the cryo pods and move on.

I liked Lost In Space, more than I thought I would.
I'm watching it with the family (one or two a week) and credit where credit is due ... They both get really, really anxious over the stories ( Smith is well done, 7yo and 11yo for reference)

Netflix is the best platform for deep stories and all of the mythology and world building that goes along with really great sci-fi (and fantasy for that matter). You watch on your schedule...and don't have to worry about missing a key episode and losing track of what's going on. One of my favorite shows is Babylon 5...and while I used command line Unix and "tin" to keep up with the story in the forums of the time (and chat with JMS online!), I don't know how many others did the same...or religiously watched the show, from beginning to end, without missing an episode.

A show like "Stranger Things", however, has the luxury of having it's viewers start watching at any time, and they can watch in order...and possibly binge through a whole season in a day or a weekend. This in turn gives the writers and showrunners more freedom to write the truly deep stories we all crave, with as much backstory, worldbuilding, and foreshadowing as they want to include!

We are getting not only MORE genre TV shows, we are getting BETTER genre TV shows!

It's going to be based more on the books, not the video game. Books are good so I have faith.

Well, Books->Game, The screen writer and director stated that she was following the Books and not the games, even though CDProjectRed did such a great job, She is starting with "The Last Wish" as an 8 episodes - 1 hour length season. Can this be better than GoT? who knows. Geralt is a guy's guy he is the embodiment of this(IRL) worlds sins in a manner of speaking. Smart/Wise/Drugs/Alcohol/Sex(no chance for kids)/Slays Monsters for coin ........despite all of this he carries an honorable moral compass, finding monsters in humanity rather than in the unnatural or natural world ..................................... As long as they stick to the core concept script wise I can't see problems with this.

And it's been years, I'm sure most of those actors moved on. The main chubby character got skinny even, lol. It would have to be restarted with new cast.

I get to see the Dr from stargate universe often as he has been in the fantasy show once upon a time, which the wife watches. It always makes me chuckle.

good for netflix.

SCIFI had such possible potential, but wasted it. and now its syfy. Meh

SGU, the best of all SGs to me.... I liked the others, but SGU is different and a lot less forgettable, thats for sure.

A fact that I always found interesting is that after Atlantis finished, Joe Flanigan (along with some investors) approached MGM to purchase the franchise. They were apparently working out some kind of deal when MGM went bankrupt, and when they reformed, the new heads didn't want to give it up.

I was rather impressed by the CGI for Lost In Space. For a split second, I thought I was watching a feature length movie. I welcome this move.

Lost In Space was OK. However, Dr. Smith I could not stand watching her stupid pointless scheming scenes.

Syfy was going downhill fast. However, it started to come back with org programming like The Expanse ,Z Nation, and Happy which I really enjoy watching. I also liked Dark Matter though that was canceled. I am watching Krypton but I am not sure about it yet.

Stargate is still one of my favorites along with STTNG and DS9. Farscape and Lex were entertaining.

It isn't quite the same genre as science fiction, but I've enjoyed what Netflix has done with their little portion of the Marvel universe. I don't care for whiny-boy Iron Fits, but otherwise I've enjoyed them all.

Much better than the teen soap operas from DC like Supergirl, Flash and Green Arrow.

Arrow started off good, but damn WB killed it with drama teeny crap.

Lost In Space was OK. However, Dr. Smith I could not stand watching her stupid pointless scheming scenes.

Syfy was going downhill fast. However, it started to come back with org programming like The Expanse ,Z Nation, and Happy which I really enjoy watching. I also liked Dark Matter though that was canceled. I am watching Krypton but I am not sure about it yet.

Stargate is still one of my favorites along with STTNG and DS9. Farscape and Lex were entertaining.

Arrow started off good, but damn WB killed it with drama teeny crap.

I'm with you on Smith. I thought the production values for Lost in Space were great, but Smith's schemes didn't make any sense. Every time she started to pull something I kept thinking "OK, but what are you actually trying to accomplish?" I'll avoid spoilers, but the super important space agency must have crap security for her to have even made it into a position where she could be part of the main plot.

I'm all for more Science Fiction, but above all, what Netflix (and all content creators) need to do is create good shows. It doesn't matter what the genre is, it just can't be crap. Concentrate on interesting characters and story development. Maintain good pacing and don't jack the audience around; it's OK to build some tension, but you can't draw things out too long (especially romantic relationships). And if it's a book adaptation, especially from a well written book, it does not need to be completely rewritten - the screen play should stick as close to the original as possible. These are the areas where many shows fail.

Oh god no. I love sci-fi and enjoyed watching it in the beginning but gave up in the last season. It's not very good.
Favorite show currently is The Expanse. That sci-fi is so epic.
And I've also started watching Killjoys, seems solid so far. Got high hopes for it since people said it's something in between Firefly and The Expanse.

Yea. I need to continue expanse. I watched the first season. And I totally forgot I confused it with a mini series and thought it was over lol.

Man I such a tv hore rofl. I usually forget what happened since I watch so many shows so I have to watch the last episode from previous season to remind me. Haha. I am gonna have to do the same with expanse. Got a lot to catch up there.

I seem to be in the minority of people regarding "Lost in Space." I liked the science fiction parts, the robot, and their work to survive. But I didn't like the background story of the family. I think it is because I'm starting a family, and I remember the original series. The family here is quite broken. The father is portrayed as incompetent, the mother is often berating him. He doesn't know anything about his own children, they were on the brink of a divorce, and it seems like the dad just tagged along on their space adventure. I don't feel this is appropriate to show to kids. What's wrong with having the family get along, and work together to overcome their surroundings? That is what I remember from the original, plus the over-the-top evil doctor. Sometimes it seems they write in so much hardship, and the only way they get by is dumb luck.

I felt the same way with the first episode of "American Horror Story." I don't think writers should shy away from the "Leave it to Beaver" style family. I can't think of a more recent version of such that I've seen since "The Cosby Show."

It's funny. When that show came out myself and many others discussing it found the show so forgettable that we came up with descriptor names for the characters and used those instead of the actual names. Fat kid, Senator's daughter, medic chick, Col McUseless and so on. There was more fun had by coming up with the names than there was discussing the actual show since the show boiled down to who was going to screw who this week and who is going to screw who over.

I think my favorite character was Lt. McRack/Lt. McBoobs. In the first episode, in the first five minutes they have the hot dude and gal lieutenants screwing in a closet, late for the gate mission or whatever. It kinda set the tone for the whole show and I couldn't take it seriously after that. There was a blog post somewhere that went up I think during the first season talking about all the crap the cast was getting from some fans and supposed sexism (while the show was full of cliche stereotypes). It was hilarious drama more interesting than the show sadly.

I might be part of that measurement.

I binge watched the ever loving shit out of "Into The Badlands" this weekend.

Last edited:
Analytics reveal that science fiction and fantasy shows have overtaken comedy as the genre of choice for many Netflix subscribers, and the streaming company is responding by increasing their investment in productions like Altered Carbon and Stranger Things. The company’s latest order is, appropriately, a sci-fi drama involving astronauts and alien artifacts.

Science fiction and fantasy are dominating Netflix, and subscribers can expect a lot more of it in the coming months. "Sci-fi and fantasy" became the most popular genre of Netflix original show in Q1 of 2018, and the streaming service has been able to "anticipate" an increase in demand for the genre by rapidly expanding its production of original sci-fi and fantasy shows and movies, according to the analytics firm Ampere Analysis.

I couldve told them that a decade ago...and for half the price ;).

People were watching comedy because it was where the content was...now they are actually making SciFi so we are watching it...go figure.

Doesn't surprise me when their comedic attempts comprised of standup, sitcoms, and Adam Sandler films. It's enough to turn viewers off from your comedy offerings.

Yeah, most of their live-action comedy is kinda boring, or loses momentum after a single season. The longest I've watched a sitcom from them is Love through season 2. And their talk shows are blatantly obvious Netflix pandering.

And standup is a known quantity. It will have it's ups and downs depending on the talent you land. At least Netflix is dropping HBO-level comedy budget.

But their animated comedies (Big Mouth, Troll Hunters, Devilman Crybaby) are pretty impressive, along with their anime selection.

But yeah, their scifi stuff (with Marvel to flesh things out) is fairly top-notch. Only problem is they need a certain number of viewers to justify the high costs, which is why good-but-not-great shows like Altered Carbon or 3% are not seeing a second season.

Last edited:
People were watching comedy because it was where the content was...now they are actually making SciFi so we are watching it...go figure.

Because they know SciFi freaks will give it an automatic pass. see: Star Trek; see Star Wars; see MCU. It's a license to print money when you can count on your audience showing up before the first review is printed.

Yes, I liked Stranger Things and Black Mirror. Kinda neutral on Black Carbon. But Netflix has other crappy content like Bright, Mute, What Happened to Monday, and Cloverfield Paradox. Not everything they do is GoT or Westworld quality.

Wheel of Time

God Emperor of Dune

if they do these two thing and well and in detail I will defend Netflix forever

Sony is working on doing something with WoT. They picked up the rights about a year ago. With Netflix doing Witcher I wonder if Sony would want to option the series to them or if they'd go elsewhere.

I think my favorite character was Lt. McRack/Lt. McBoobs. In the first episode, in the first five minutes they have the hot dude and gal lieutenants screwing in a closet, late for the gate mission or whatever. It kinda set the tone for the whole show and I couldn't take it seriously after that. There was a blog post somewhere that went up I think during the first season talking about all the crap the cast was getting from some fans and supposed sexism (while the show was full of cliche stereotypes). It was hilarious drama more interesting than the show sadly.

For the SG-U thread here on the forum that would be cock holster and Lt Balls Deep. I agree that scene basically set the tone for the whole show which is a reason I quit watching after forcing myself to make it through the first season. You have a practically brand new officer screwing an enlisted person going to a super mega top secret base headed by Col McUseless who seems capable only of making the decision to screw his enlisted medic chick and knock her up while he has a Senator at the base who decided to bring his daughter for a vacation. Along with them is a power mad IOA chick who only wants to screw over everyone for control along with a fat kid who stumbled onto a solution to a puzzle. Then you have a mad scientist leading the science portion of the project but I give him a pass because out of this group he seems the closest thing to a normal person. Let that sink in, the mad scientist cliche person is the closest thing here to a normal person.

You have all of these completely worthless and fucked up people on your most super mega top secret base. You know, the very place you would be putting your best and brightest. Instead you somehow fill the place up with people who probably shouldn't have been able to pass even the most rudimentary security clearances much less get through what should have been the most rigorous screening process in humanity. And this is the basis of the show. I can't suspend disbelief long enough for even a fraction of that and we're only an episode or two into the show at this point. This is also why the show failed. Syfy wanted a replacement for high school level stupidity and pettiness, I mean Battlestar Galactica, and they turned Stargate into this trash to do it. They took what could have been an awesome concept of a popular sci-fi TV show franchise and made a shitty soap opera out of it.

Revive, Dark Matter, please!

I liked this one better than Killjoys honestly. I really wish Netflix would pick it up, was actually thinking that while I was watching Lost in Space, which I think they did a really good job on. Regular tv has enough (too much) cop, lawyer, doctor, dramas so I pretty much don't watch regular tv anymore, just wait for Supernatural and Agents of Shield to end their seasons so I can watch them on Netflix. SyFy has toatlly left the genera, I mean come on, Shooter, how is that even related to science fiction and they have been playing that to death lately.

I'd personally like to see a more darker sci fi horror series. Something along the lines of Aliens and The Fourth Kind made in to a show.

Well Netflix is doing a hell of a lot better job than the so called SYFY channel that thinks of Futurama as a real SCIFI show.which I am totally sick of and that POS Krypton that WB suckered them into......

The truth is, it's not that hard to build (or rebuild) a premise for good science fiction. Drama, action, interesting situations outside the scope of normal life, and either 'injustice against' or 'impossible goals for' the main character. Hear me out on a premise that I think would be interesting and inexpensive to produce: Reboot "The Six Million Dollar Man."

Same premise: Test pilot crashes, secret government agency decides to rebuild with machine parts.

Deviations:

1. Main character is hispanic / latino, in the fashion of a young Antonio Bandaras
2. Government agency isn't evil, but isn't benign, either. After refusing some of their more questionable assignments he finally refuses to work for them, after which he is informed his equipment will be removed. He is on the run, and spurious charges have been placed against him to make him a visible target of law enforcement.
3. He does have the full and secret support of his medical team. They are working on updates to relieve his migraines, and from time to time team members will take vacations near his location if they need to work on him or provide him parts or supplies.
4. Per the original show, two legs, an arm and an eye are replaced, but he's also had his spine, rib cage, hips, shoulder structure and portions of his skull replaced with carbon fiber and titanium.
5. He has a full electronic suite, and can receive and filter cell tower data, GPS data, radio traffic, etc.
6. He has a 'ghost', a semi-finished artificial intelligence that tries to handle background tasks and provide AR through his single electronic eye.
A) The AI is not like Kit in Knightrider. It's more a clever program, not a personality.
B) The character and the AI can't talk internally - the internal interface is unfinished and very vague. The character speaks out loud to talk to his AI, and the AI communicates back by typing into his electronic eye. People who see this mistake it for schizophrenia, so he will often place a dead cell phone to his ear when he needs to talk to the AI.
C) Anytime anyone mentions a math problem he will freeze up a little bit because his processor suite feels compelled to solve the problem. He will sometimes bark out answers to math problems.
D) He can be tracked when the AI accesses the web.​
7. No authentic artificial skin over the legs and arm, although he has flesh colored rubber 'socks'.
8. He has to recharge - his limbs will only operate about six hours on battery stores. He's lost his charging equipment, but he has the knowledge to jury rig what he needs, and often cannabalizes from car parts. He carries around a backpack with his jury rigged equipment.
9. He gets really bad migraines from all of his artificial interfaces, and is a low-level opioid addict.
10. He's 80% bullet proof, but since most of his bone structure has been replaced he has to see a hospital if he loses too much blood. He doesn't have enough bone structure to replenish his white cells fast enough, so the medical team has to provide him with externally grown plasma.

First season is set in Mexico, where he gets in a war with a drug cartel. I placed him in Mexico just to take him somewhere exotic, where I imagine him opening each episode by talking to the audience about rolling a local dealer for percocets or even heroin.

That's the premise. Who thinks it's a good idea? Who thinks it's bad? Who has ideas for episodes or just vignettes? I've often wondered if you could crowd source a plotline for a movie or TV series.

Edit: I also thought it would be funny to call him the "6 Billion Dollar Man", and then during the credits at the start of each episode the amount would always go up by a random amount, and there would be dim background text scrolling away that detailed everything the government spent to try to catch him.

Last edited:
new post-apocalyptic show from Netflix premiering this week...looks interesting...it's a Danish show with subtitles so don't be afraid...

I don't think its Escapism,. Sci-Fi and Fantasy have always tackled issues from the real world in fantastic ways as moral, ethical, cautionary tales some of the better Anime do the same exact things, but in reality its based and grounded in reality and our crappy problems that occur here............I will say it is escapism for morons who can't see past the shiny effects, nudity, and action. I mean they are icing on the cake, but unless you are smart enough to understand what the author or writers are trying to convey.

Mmmmm... nudity...

The truth is, it's not that hard to build (or rebuild) a premise for good science fiction. Drama, action, interesting situations outside the scope of normal life, and either 'injustice against' or 'impossible goals for' the main character. Hear me out on a premise that I think would be interesting and inexpensive to produce: Reboot "The Six Million Dollar Man."

Same premise: Test pilot crashes, secret government agency decides to rebuild with machine parts.

Deviations:

1. Main character is hispanic / latino, in the fashion of a young Antonio Bandaras
2. Government agency isn't evil, but isn't benign, either. After refusing some of their more questionable assignments he finally refuses to work for them, after which he is informed his equipment will be removed. He is on the run, and spurious charges have been placed against him to make him a visible target of law enforcement.
3. He does have the full and secret support of his medical team. They are working on updates to relieve his migraines, and from time to time team members will take vacations near his location if they need to work on him or provide him parts or supplies.
4. Per the original show, two legs, an arm and an eye are replaced, but he's also had his spine, rib cage, hips, shoulder structure and portions of his skull replaced with carbon fiber and titanium.
5. He has a full electronic suite, and can receive and filter cell tower data, GPS data, radio traffic, etc.
6. He has a 'ghost', a semi-finished artificial intelligence that tries to handle background tasks and provide AR through his single electronic eye.
A) The AI is not like Kit in Knightrider. It's more a clever program, not a personality.
B) The character and the AI can't talk internally - the internal interface is unfinished and very vague. The character speaks out loud to talk to his AI, and the AI communicates back by typing into his electronic eye. People who see this mistake it for schizophrenia, so he will often place a dead cell phone to his ear when he needs to talk to the AI.
C) Anytime anyone mentions a math problem he will freeze up a little bit because his processor suite feels compelled to solve the problem. He will sometimes bark out answers to math problems.
7. No authentic artificial skin over the legs and arm, although he has flesh colored rubber 'socks'.
8. He has to recharge - his limbs will only operate about six hours on battery stores. He's lost his charging equipment, but he has the knowledge to jury rig what he needs, and often cannabalizes from car parts. He carries around a backpack with his jury rigged equipment.
9. He gets really bad migraines from all of his artificial interfaces, and is a low-level opioid addict.
10. He's 80% bullet proof, but since most of his bone structure has been replaced he has to see a hospital if he loses too much blood. He doesn't have enough bone structure to replenish his white cells fast enough, so the medical team has to provide him with externally grown plasma.

First season is set in Mexico, where he gets in a war with a drug cartel. I placed him in Mexico just to take him somewhere exotic, where I imagine him opening each episode by talking to the audience about rolling a local dealer for percocets or even heroin.

That's the premise. Who thinks it's a good idea? Who thinks it's bad? Who has ideas for episodes or just vignettes? I've often wondered if you could crowd source a plotline for a movie or TV series.

Edit: I also thought it would be funny to call him the "6 Billion Dollar Man", and then during the credits at the start of each episode the amount would always go up by a random amount, and there would be dim background text scrolling away that detailed everything the government spent to try to catch him.

No stiff kevlar upper lip?

I with they made a new Galactiga again.

You've got a solid understanding of interesting plot design B00nie.

Galactica? Sure, I'm all for a a REAL Galactica show. Problem is, we will never recover from the emo-drama that was the last series. It was fraking horrible.

The early and mid episodes of the original series are what everyone really loved. Lost in Space meets Wing Commander and has a love child with Stargate Universe. What they need to STOP doing is trying to take in that weird hippy worldview vibe that crept in toward the end of the original series. And frankly they built that whole uncomfortable moral dilemma thing around the last series too. Unfortunately for some reason the guild scriptwriters seem to think people like that particular type of uncomfortable peering into the ugly side of humanity. You can use it occasionally but building the entire series on it made you feel like you needed a shower after every episode. That isn't really ENTERTAINMENT. It's a chore to watch.

There is even a distinct difference between Galactica and Game of Thones. I'd have to give it some more thought but oddly enough as despicable as GoT characters are to each other it's still vastly more entertaining. It somehow manages to not have a heavy oppressive atmosphere of "the whole universe is slime" every second of every episode.

EDIT - Also take SGU for example. A lot of dark stuff in the early episodes, but it didn't make you feel icky every second.

It's funny seeing the word "demand" appear here. I'm sure there is an army of analysts looking at this, but I can't help imagining

Deviations:

Can we also add an augmented nose that can smell crime? And maybe an attractive lab assistant? Count me in if so.

Back