Netflix Is Focusing on Sci-Fi, Fantasy Shows to Meet Increasing Demand

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Analytics reveal that science fiction and fantasy shows have overtaken comedy as the genre of choice for many Netflix subscribers, and the streaming company is responding by increasing their investment in productions like Altered Carbon and Stranger Things. The company’s latest order is, appropriately, a sci-fi drama involving astronauts and alien artifacts.

Science fiction and fantasy are dominating Netflix, and subscribers can expect a lot more of it in the coming months. "Sci-fi and fantasy" became the most popular genre of Netflix original show in Q1 of 2018, and the streaming service has been able to "anticipate" an increase in demand for the genre by rapidly expanding its production of original sci-fi and fantasy shows and movies, according to the analytics firm Ampere Analysis.

Mostly happy they're doing this. I really enjoyed Altered Carbon. Lost in Space was o.k. I just hope they focus more on changing the pacing of the shows. Pretty tired of it taking 4-6 episodes just to get things set up and then sometimes a slow boil to the end. All the Marvel shows were like that, Stranger Things, and Lost in Space. There's a difference between having a lot of material to cover in a short span of time and taking a lot of time to cover a little story. Altered mostly hit the ground running and it was awesome.

get Stargate Universe and finish it please netflix

I wish, but SyFy owns that, and those guys are pricks from what I understand.

And it's been years, I'm sure most of those actors moved on. The main chubby character got skinny even, lol. It would have to be restarted with new cast.

netflix is good in drama and comedy, they are still not good enough for sci-fi, they have alot of hit and miss, and most of their sci-fi comes out cheap, or all over the place, altered started good and ended meh

SGU, the best of all SGs to me.... I liked the others, but SGU is different and a lot less forgettable, thats for sure.

It's funny. When that show came out myself and many others discussing it found the show so forgettable that we came up with descriptor names for the characters and used those instead of the actual names. Fat kid, Senator's daughter, medic chick, Col McUseless and so on. There was more fun had by coming up with the names than there was discussing the actual show since the show boiled down to who was going to screw who this week and who is going to screw who over.

Count me in as one wanting more sci-fi and fantasy from them. I'm really liking Netflix's original stuff lately. But whatever they do, as long as they keep pumping out Daredevil seasons I'll be happy. I fucking love that show!

It's funny. When that show came out myself and many others discussing it found the show so forgettable that we came up with descriptor names for the characters and used those instead of the actual names. Fat kid, Senator's daughter, medic chick, Col McUseless and so on. There was more fun had by coming up with the names than there was discussing the actual show since the show boiled down to who was going to screw who this week and who is going to screw who over.
Might have been the commercials screwing the mood of the show, i thought it was more serious than the other 2.

For those saying bring Stargate back, Stargate Origin's (a prequel to all other movies/shows) came out in February and was pretty good IMO. Rather it got enough of an audience through their subscription service to make the studio decide to finally bring Stargate back for good... that's another story. SyFy should never be allowed to touch it again though. They ruined Stargate, Darkmatter, Caprica, and Defiance. I just hope they don't end The Expanse, but if they do, at least we have the books to rely on to finish the story.

Reactions: PaulP
like this
good job Netflix!...that's exactly what I want to see more of- smart fantasy and sci-fi...I loved Altered Carbon (which also looked stunning in Dolby Vision HDR)...Stranger Things is also top notch...an under-rated Netflix gem that debuted a few months back is the German series 'Dark'- probably the best implementation of time travel I've ever seen...they have a Witcher series in development and Amazon is doing a Lord of the Rings series...sad to see Game of Thrones ending next year but they have single handedly brought about the rebirth of fantasy

Analytics reveal that science fiction and fantasy shows have overtaken comedy as the genre of choice for many Netflix subscribers, and the streaming company is responding by increasing their investment in productions like Altered Carbon and Stranger Things. The company’s latest order is, appropriately, a sci-fi drama involving astronauts and alien artifacts.

Science fiction and fantasy are dominating Netflix, and subscribers can expect a lot more of it in the coming months. "Sci-fi and fantasy" became the most popular genre of Netflix original show in Q1 of 2018, and the streaming service has been able to "anticipate" an increase in demand for the genre by rapidly expanding its production of original sci-fi and fantasy shows and movies, according to the analytics firm Ampere Analysis.

Good

I liked neflix lost in space a lot, it was very polished... Very polished visually, and acting was very appropriate... I was very surprised, overall loved it.. understanding its not something entirely for adults.

I'm still waiting on the TV show "The Building" based upon Parallels from 2015 that NF made.

Well duh, most of the paying customers are in an age bracket not interested in teen drama, work/office drama, mundane life drama, comedy drama, anime drama, drama, drama.

Escapism is on the rise?

I'm fine with that. I just hope they invest in quality over quantity.

Doesn't surprise me when their comedic attempts comprised of standup, sitcoms, and Adam Sandler films. It's enough to turn viewers off from your comedy offerings.

lost in space got much better as show went on. Not every show you can get straight to the point. I actually liked how they built up the season. After 2nd episode the show picked up pace which I am perfectly fine with.

I have enjoyed all the new sci-fi shows they have released. Altered Carbon was great as well. Stranger things amazing in its own regard.

Great. It'd be nice to have some classic 80s movies too: Explorers :alien:, The Last Starfighter, Flight of the Navigator, etc.

Mostly happy they're doing this. I really enjoyed Altered Carbon. Lost in Space was o.k. I just hope they focus more on changing the pacing of the shows. Pretty tired of it taking 4-6 episodes just to get things set up and then sometimes a slow boil to the end. All the Marvel shows were like that, Stranger Things, and Lost in Space. There's a difference between having a lot of material to cover in a short span of time and taking a lot of time to cover a little story. Altered mostly hit the ground running and it was awesome.

The very slow burn to start getting really going is a pet peeve of mine, also.

my biggest problem is not of the slow starts but the fact that it takes 10 episodes of build up and fluff then it's all over after 2 episodes.. dafuq?! they do it with a lot of them and it drives me nuts.. i'm fine with it taking 10 episodes to get to story but ffs give it more than 2-3 episodes only to abruptly come to an end. most of the marvel shows suffer from this on netflix.

altered carbon was really the first show since season 1 of daredevil that i straight up bindged watched and enjoyed every damn moment of it. i still need to finish watching lost in space though.

Revive, Dark Matter, please!

Oh god no. I love sci-fi and enjoyed watching it in the beginning but gave up in the last season. It's not very good.
Favorite show currently is The Expanse. That sci-fi is so epic.
And I've also started watching Killjoys, seems solid so far. Got high hopes for it since people said it's something in between Firefly and The Expanse.

Content overload. Lol. Not saying its a bad thing, but I just simply don't have the time to possibly consume all the good content available now.

Revive, Dark Matter, please!
Unfortunately I read an interview with one of the creators saying the sets had all been destroyed so it doesn't look like this is happening.

Too bad. If any show was ripe for resurrection...

Unfortunately I read an interview with one of the creators saying the sets had all been destroyed so it doesn't look like this is happening.

Too bad. If any show was ripe for resurrection...
Nooo!

It isn't quite the same genre as science fiction, but I've enjoyed what Netflix has done with their little portion of the Marvel universe. I don't care for whiny-boy Iron Fits, but otherwise I've enjoyed them all.

Much better than the teen soap operas from DC like Supergirl, Flash and Green Arrow.

Reactions: Zuul
like this
Back