Netflix Is Developing a Live-Action Legend of Zelda Series

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Cross your fingers and toes and maybe this will all come to pass. Nintendo and Netflix are teaming up to bring the extremely popular video game, The Legend of Zelda, to the TV screen as a live action series. It’s in the very early stages of development and hopefully it will be able to get past all of the usual hurdles of creating a new series for television.

Netflix is said to be working closely with Nintendo, the Japanese game developer that has made about 20 “The Legend of Zelda” games since the original, which was released in the U.S. in 1987.

A Dragons Lair live arcade style of point and click the outcome would be cool for a live action game I'm surprised like nobody has done this except for the game Heavy Rain and
The Last of Us but those use CG.

Well excuuuuuuuuse me princess!

Yeah, don't bring that one back.

I'm pretty sure it's going to be horrible if the Japanese are involved. They literally have no clue how to tell a story on screen. Just watch your average anime.

I find that the plot probably will look something like this.

Episode 1, Princess gets captured, quest starts
Episode 2, Link on quest to find cool things and save the princess... Villain attempts to stop Link.
Episode 3, Villain attempts to stop Link with monster.
Episode 4, Villain attempts to stop Link new monster and possible side kick
Episode 5, Villain attempts to stop Link with hot chick
Episode 6, Hot chick creates complications for next 4 episodes
Season Finale---Link gets to Zelda, or evil spell on Zelda which makes things prolong another season, or Zelda turned against Link and he doesn't know it for 5 episodes, or looses a cool sword he needs to defeat some giant monster.

I think that covers everything with the current trends... Please add if you can think of something.

I find that the plot probably will look something like this.

Episode 1, Princess gets captured, quest starts
Episode 2, Link on quest to find cool things and save the princess... Villain attempts to stop Link.
Episode 3, Villain attempts to stop Link with monster.
Episode 4, Villain attempts to stop Link new monster and possible side kick
Episode 5, Villain attempts to stop Link with hot chick
Episode 6, Hot chick creates complications for next 4 episodes
Season Finale---Link gets to Zelda, or evil spell on Zelda which makes things prolong another season, or Zelda turned against Link and he doesn't know it for 5 episodes, or looses a cool sword he needs to defeat some giant monster.

I think that covers everything with the current trends... Please add if you can think of something.
That was every cartoon episode. They could get more creative and do something like Grimm initially did - introduce new species each episode. They could also make each item a quest and add some backstory to it. The dungeons could have their own history as well.

But odds are you are right. The plots will be dumb and it won't last more than a season.

If this goes through I'm confident it will be very unique. Netflix has yet to release a single flop and I'm pretty sure they're not about to start. Remember TV networks can make as many lame shows as they want and recover the costs in advertisement, netflix only has their member base which they must respect.

I called this a year ago, well not exactly this but I knew Nintendo was going to have to start ponying up their IP and finding other sources of income. Netflix has the best show on Tv imo with House of Cards so definitely intrigued. I hope they get quality writers though, like ya'll said it's easy to screw up a video game IP when bringing it to live action (TV or Movies).

Remember one other Nintendo video game that did not translate well into a movie, Super Mario Brothers. wont take much to do better than that.

Live action? Who else thinks the series will better serviced as a cartoon?

Except a cartoon would be expensive to make with all the artists ... live action can be done well and on a smaller budget (look at all the fan movies on YouTube ... like the Fallout Nuka Break series and others)

You do realize live action films require actors instead of artists.

Animated films are much cheaper to make than live action.

I am sure we could debate that but unknown actors are relatively cheap (I think the KS for season 2 of Fallout Nuka Break was made for about $130,000 and encompassed about an hour and 10 minutes) ... animation is trickier since it still relies on the equivalent of cells for each movement ... computers help but it still requires some good computer power and good artists to crank out a decent animated movie (remember that even with computers you have to work harder to manage the layers in animation than you do with live action) ... I am sure that is is possible to make a short animated movie for $100,000 but I suspect it is easier to make a live action one in that same price range ... but that is just my opinion

Back