Netflix Invests More in European Production

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
In a press release, Netflix announced that they're investing more in European production. Ragnarok, a drama rooted in Norse mythology, and Alma, a Spanish supernatural drama, are among a slew of new content being produced in Europe. The company claims that they want to work with a wider pool of creators and storytellers. However, it's possible that this new push is related to content quotas European countries are imposing on Netflix.

"Great stories can come from anywhere, and they can travel everywhere, as long as we use technology to get the right story in front of the right person, and make it a great experience. This isn't just great news for Netflix subscribers. The more that creative communities and storytellers can find these new audiences, the more the world opens up to hearing new tales and diverse perspectives. Through Netflix, and all the other great entertainment choices for people, there's never been a better time to be a creator, or a consumer of great movies and television shows."

one of the best shows I watched on Netflix was a German sci-fi show called 'Dark'...really smart and well acted series...great to see Netflix investing in more international programming...lots of talented writers/directors that live outside of the USA

This is an example of where government intervention is NOT needed. There is competition in sling/hulu/Amazon/Fandango/Vimeo & more.

If Europeans are @#$#%@# off they aren't getting enough European content they can go freely to another streaming provider.

As the result of unnecessary regulatory intervention, Netflix cost go up which will be reflected in subscription rates.

IF only they had a mega series from a european author with a full european cast. If only Netflix had something that showed they could hire all European actors...If Only.

The EU should just spend $800 million a year on paying networks to make propaganda. Companies shouldn't have to pay for their programming, that's what the middle class is for.

Sounds like they should fund The Witcher, and European Twitch THOTS. That will bring in some dollars.

Yea I don't get it either. "Make more shows about us! Because we suck at making our own."

Why do ragnarok its already been done. Unless its vastly different, but will take a lot to top of vikings imo

It is funny, many here have touted cultural enrichment for decades if you mention any one not corpse pale Danish.
And while i also support this then there are also a thing as bad cultural enrichment, which we have also gotten our fair share off. Anyways this still go on but now people have also started to worry for the decline of pure Danish culture, which i don't get as much of it are subsidized by tax money and so it will never go away as long as it get "free money"
Personally i think its cool things change,people them self should be able to handle that, cuz after all its not that hard, if something are BS to you, well stay away from it and maybe argue against it if you can find someone that's not a die hard famboi.
And please let off the vikings, piss me off remind what have been and what is now, so i have not watched any of those viking series that have aired in the past years.

EU are now wayyyyy out of line of its initial purpose which i think was a valid one and i support, but EU as of today,,,,,,,, well no thanks.

I don't understand why the EU or anyone thinks a American company is obligated to serve content for them.
Netflix is not obligated to serve content, they are free to leave the european market. But if they choose to remain they should include local products in their programming as well. Not really that unreasonable an ask when you think about it. I bet your tone would be different if anyone tried to sell anything in the US where all of the income went out of the country none of it to be invested locally.

Back