Netflix Hires Actors to Pose as Canadian Fans

HardOCP News

[H] News
And the award for “bonehead move” of the day goes to Netflix. The sad part is, given the opportunity, regular people would have said good things about the service on their own.

Things backfired at a Toronto street celebration after reporters discovered that actors hired by the Netflix had been given written instructions to give media interviews gushing about the video subscription service's arrival in Canada. The actors also were urged to fill a variety of stereotypical roles, including "mothers, film buffs, tech geeks, couch potatoes," according to the one-page handout given to them.

yea stupid move, BUT it doesn't make me like netflix any less.. still my only source for blurays and barney streams for my 2 year old :p

No sh*t. Seriously, the PR firm doing this stunt should be fired, or some heads should role if its an internal setup.

It sounds like they just could not get the permit needed to close down the street so they tryed to get another one that required them to record a documentry although the scripting for the "extra's" was proberley a little over the top.

"According to numerous reports, it looks as though "convenience" doesn't just apply to how Netflix service provides value to its customers. Netflix was unable to get a proper permit to close off a street for its launch event in Toronto. So in order to get around this sticky situation, Netflix decided to instead obtain a film permit and pretend that it was shooting a company documentary the Associated Press reports."
source

True Fluff of American PR firms. Just Razzle , Dazzle, and a lot of white lies. As Shakespeare said,(don't quote me, I'm probably wrong, someone will straighten me out). "The whole world is a stage", full of naive people.

I am so glad I don't live in Toronto anymore, 10 years was a lifetime. This story really exemplifies what Toronto is, a bunch of fake people acting to fit a stereotype.

Stupid Netflix.....

*meanwhile*
lemme go check what's coming next in my queue.....

I don't get it, they basically made a commercial, kind of like all commercials where they have people who say how good their product is, except they got the news media to air it. Or do things work in Canada, and all those celebrities who endorse products REALLY do like using them.

I just signed up for a free month... watched a documentary... pretty good quality.

So now can I get paid as an actor? ;)

I've used Netflix for a few years and I haven't heard anyone say anything bad about them. So wouldn't it have been easier just to find real Netflix subscribers?

Nothing new here. Come to Calgary Alberta, 25% of our oil workers are Americans.

That said, you guys are not cheap labour for sure. I'm pretty sure you are all up here to make sure the oil keeps onaflowing.

really seems like finding actual satified users would not have been that hard, I really wonder how much they got paid!

Stupid move, and harmful to brand image, but definitely not a "last straw" incident. They won't lose me as a customer over this, but I will look at them a little different after this mess clears.

Lol I'm sure other places have done this. They were just fortunate enough to not get caught.

They did it be cause all the satisfied customers are couch potatoes who don't get out, i.e. not publicly presentable.

I kid, I kid.

I'm just annoyed by the fact that the streaming videos are different in the US than in Canada.

It might have been a bit rough sourcing actual users... In a country that - up until now - didn't have the service available. Lol.

I think the only difference is Netflix got caught, lol.

Wouldn't be surprise if many other companies have been doing this all the time

Back