Netflix Hikes Prices, Adds DVD-Only Plan

HardOCP News

[H] News
Wow. A 60% increase? The powers that be at Netflix have seriously lost their damn minds. :(

Instead of paying the current $9.99-per-month fee for unlimited streaming and unlimited DVD rentals, customers will need to pay $15.98 a month for a single DVD out a time, paying almost 60 percent more for the same service. The company said the fee includes $7.99 for unlimited streaming and $7.99 for its new bare-bones plan. Those who want two DVDs out a time will need to pay $19.98 per month.

Too much. At this point I'd stick with either/or DVD rentals or streaming, not both. Steve hit the nail on the head, they've gone bloody mad.

Screw that. I said I was going to cancel when they rose it a buck or whatever, but this time I definitely am. I guess they want people to go to Redbox or something. I know my fiancee better from here on out, lol.

I cancelled a while back. It angered me that they charged more than Blockbuster AND on top of that they charged extra for blu-rays. They'll never get me back now, I'll just use Redbox and/or buy more blu-rays on sale

I'm seriously considering dropping the service. It isn't worth $16 a month to me.

Too much. At this point I'd stick with either/or DVD rentals or streaming, not both. Steve hit the nail on the head, they've gone bloody mad.

x2. I'll drop the dvd option and just stream. 90% of what I watch is streaming anyway. now netflix needs to step up and get all their DVDs on streaming or I'll vote with my money and go elsewhere.

Sucks but to me it's still more than worth it. I felt bad paying that little for how much I was streaming and enjoying the service. I'm a minority though because I enjoy the older catalogs and think new movies (~2008 and newer) suck balls. Thankfully not many new movies come to instant

Greedy fucks. And be sure to list that as a reason when and if you cancel.

WTF. How much F'ing money do they need?

I'm probably going to drop it when I get that bill reflecting the change.

Sounds like I'm going to be removing streaming from my 3 at a time plan in order to offset this increase. I'm getting tired of these frequent changes. Make up your damn minds on pricing already, Netflix!

Greedy fucks. And be sure to list that as a reason when and if you cancel.

What are you talking about man? Do you have any idea how much it costs to sign up with the movie studios? It's not free. Postage isn't free, tech support isn't free, technology isn't free....

One movie in the theater (don't even try to tell me how much better a theater is. I'll spill soda on your floor and kick the back of your seat in your house while you watch a movie, don't even need to pay me. I'll even have a tall guy sit in front of you for a small fee) costs $10 here. So for the price of one and a half movies, you can watch as many movies as you want, hassle fr.. err I'll stop here, I sound like a salesman

I knew something plan price related was coming last week, but this still takes the biscuit.

They really put their foot in it when they believed DVD's were on their way out, so just added the $2 or so to the unlimited streaming plan, now they've realised that's not the case.

However, the BIGGEST fail here is that they literally just added the two plans together, $7.99 + $7.99

Really? no price break? Once i have to start paying for my Netflix service it'll be streaming only, at the rate we watch the DVD's, it's cheaper to redbox a few a month than have unlimited for $7.99 EXTRA.

NETFLIX is horrible for Blu-Rays now, they stopped getting any older movie that is released on Blu-Ray, I mean way the Phuk do i have to rent THE GOONIES from blockbuster and they dont have it at Netflix, Back to School, Planes Trains and Automobiles, the list goes on and on. Im cancelling my Netflix blu-ray and sticking to Streaming.

canceled.jpg

I was going to lower my plan soon but with these new rates I might as well just cancel. :/

Might have to talk to my fiance about weather or not to keep this... This really sucks..

Its a shame Netflix is going to take the beating for this. For as much as I stream, it's worth the $16/month to me. And I dont blame netflix for this, I blame the studios who are squeezing the shit out of them on licensing.

Its a shame Netflix is going to take the beating for this. For as much as I stream, it's worth the $16/month to me. And I dont blame netflix for this, I blame the studios who are squeezing the shit out of them on licensing.
It could just be that they're trying to get to the level where HBO will let them carry their content.

You can thank the content providers for the price hike. It cost Netlfix only a hew hundred million for their current licenses, next year they will probably be a couple of billion for the same terms.

Sadly, I will probably have to keep netflix as no one has the selection they do when it comes to foreign dvds..

I will keep the streaming only plan as they stream a lot of foreign flicks that others dont.

Yea think i'll drop rental. I am also surprised there is no discount for both but I bet this has to with them trying too offset the higher prices studious want for streaming. Case in point all there trouble going on with Sony.

Yeah, not paying $28/month for 3 DVD/Blurays + Streaming. I just switched my plan to the $7.99 streaming only one. I rarely get movies from them anymore anyways.

Netflix, we liked the value in DVD + Streaming for little to no added cost. I wasn't happy when they raised their bluray prices significantly awhile back, but I stuck with them. Forget it now, I'll just do streaming.

I love my streaming only plan.......its the best deal in entertainment I have seen in a long time

I expect by next year Netflix will have to raise that due to the double dipping jerk ISP's...

Between Hulu and Amazon Prime my netfilix account may get closed. Amazon has a pretty good selection for what I watch and Hulu covers most everything else. If I want to watch a current movie its either $1 at redbox or $2-4 at Amazon in HD. They're pricing themselves out of competition.

I haven't been able to stream HD movies for a while now, at least when I wanted to watch them. Whether this is a result of Comcast throttling my 15mb connection during peak viewing hours, Netflix not having enough bandwidth or a combination of both, the fact that I can't get what I am paying for does't change.

Interesting. So ISPs are now putting bandwith caps inplace to fend off people using streaming services instead of paying for their outragous TV services.

And now to top it off Netflix is raising their fees.

DVD Rental being cancelled ASAP. At that price I could buy several dvd's per year and actually own it.

Interesting. So ISPs are now putting bandwith caps inplace to fend off people using streaming services instead of paying for their outragous TV services.

And now to top it off Netflix is raising their fees.

Sadly, its always about who can squeeze the most out of the consumers.

I'm surprised to see so many people canceling the DVD/bluray rental and keeping the streaming. You guys are really that satisfied with the streaming selection? I still find it quite lacking.

And the studios will make even MORE money, by fucking Netflix and fucking the end consumer.

I do agree, their streaming is pretty slim pickings but it was still nice to have around.

but at this point I might just drop netflix and stick to redbox now.

Back