Netflix for Windows 7 Media Center released

staknhalo

Supreme [H]ardness
Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up. I went looking for it, it wasn't there, then I realized I hadn't restarted since Windows prompted me to about an hour ago. Restarted, there it is. :)

Last edited:
alright! I would install this but I can't connect to my home machines right now.

Damn, it's not showing up for me.

I'm currently restoring my ehres.dll backup since I was running a theme and removed some strips. Hopefully that'll fix it.

Media Center, once the new standalone cablecard tuners come out, will BEYOND AWESOME!!!!

Sweet, this was the only thing keeping me from upgrading my HTPC, been using 7 for a few days on the desktop and love it. Now I have to go buy another copy, damn you guys. ;)

I got it installed. It wasn't that I had used Media Center Studio but the installer just hadn't downloaded. You can force the download by going to Settings > General > Automatic Download Options and selecting Download Now at the bottom.

The Netflix plugin looks pretty nice and is a nice upgrade over the Vista version, I just wish it had HD like my 360 does. The new Internet TV app looks really nice as well. I just wish it had more than just CBS shows under full episodes but I guess the offerings will grow with time unless the other companies stick with Hulu.

I tried it out, but I think I'm going to stick with the 360. The quality was horrible on all the videos I watched, but I can stream perfectly on the 360.

Internet TV was nice too, but I noticed that my CPU was pegged while watching it and it was rather choppy. Looks like I finally found an excuse for the wife to upgrade that X2 3800+!!

I tried it out, but I think I'm going to stick with the 360. The quality was horrible on all the videos I watched, but I can stream perfectly on the 360.

Internet TV was nice too, but I noticed that my CPU was pegged while watching it and it was rather choppy. Looks like I finally found an excuse for the wife to upgrade that X2 3800+!!

I just installed the update and I am pretty pleased the with quality. I haven't played any shows/movies that are HD yet but I just watched an Apple documentary and am currently watching Revolution OS and it looks great on my main rig (the one I am on now).

This is slick looking. Hopefully they'll continue getting more content put up in there.

Oh happy day!

I was messing around with it since it got released this morning, halted to update Windows. Been watching Star Trek TV series through Media Center since yesterday through the internet TV add-in! THIS ROCKS!

i got pbs on demand now! this internet tv never worked until now for me. it works awesome now, with full tv show episodes and great quality. this must be why MS hasn't released a hulu plugin- because they made their own service to rival hulu.

im watching NOVA right now with futurecars as the subject. its great!

Anybody else have trouble loading it? I have W7 x64 and did the windows updates, and even windows media center updates... don't see it. I tried installing it via the msi above... but no go...

perhaps because i have mediabrowser installed and that plays with the strip settings? Does anybody know where in the registry it might be?? I know at one point i had to play in my registry to get the MOVIES strip to show back up so maybe its missing somehow? not sure

I ended up getting it work. I picked that option in media center to setup media center, overwriting my initial configs... afterwards i didnt see them there but after restarting media center, they showed up.

can't say im impressed with the quality. its great to stream a dvd, but the quality seems worse then looking at XviD or DivX movies... maybe im just so used to 1080p tv episodes and movies (its all i wash, i dont watch non-hd)

stuff looks better on my BD player with netflix streaming, but I thought only the xbox could steam HD?

I guess I don't have an issue with the picture quality. I used the netflix plugin for 2 nights now since getting it installed, and both movies look just fine for me on a 42" LCD

You would of thought with the upgrade they would add high def streaming, but hey its better than the nothing that was there before this a week ago.

You would of thought with the upgrade they would add high def streaming, but hey its better than the nothing that was there before this a week ago.

You'd have thought so on the HD, but I'll just wait for the DVD rather than watch a blocky movie on streaming low def netflix. Want to watch a movie with a panning shot and someone moving in the distance? On netflix it's just a square, or if you're lucky maybe 2-3 squares moving across a lego landscape.

So, including streaming from a browser, only an Xbox can stream Netflix in HD? I've been considering subscribing, but would be using an HTPC. Hrm.

I used it some yesterday during and after my Windows 7 House Party...folks really liked the UI.

I agree with the guy who was pissing about the choppiness and vid quality..was not up to snuff...needs some fine tuning.

I also had an issue while watching a NetFlix movie...it got stuck and the movie just stopped with the sound and vid...that may have been the wireless N connection which might explain the chopiness as well. Had to reboot

I ended up getting it work. I picked that option in media center to setup media center, overwriting my initial configs... afterwards i didnt see them there but after restarting media center, they showed up.

can't say im impressed with the quality. its great to stream a dvd, but the quality seems worse then looking at XviD or DivX movies... maybe im just so used to 1080p tv episodes and movies (its all i wash, i dont watch non-hd)

I can't get it to show up...where can you overwrite your config to set everything back to default?

This isn't avialable in the RC builds. At least it wasn't the other day. I spent 20 minutes trying to get it to install on my desktop but it showed immediatly for my media PC which is running RTM.

i would assume by now, the RC versions of win7 have been abandoned completely.

This isn't avialable in the RC builds. At least it wasn't the other day. I spent 20 minutes trying to get it to install on my desktop but it showed immediatly for my media PC which is running RTM.

It downloaded and installed for me today, RC 7100.

I've been messing around with netflix and internet TV on 7 media center. It's pretty nifty sure but I'm wholly unimpressed with image quality. Several shows look downright ugly to me.

going through the different selections of movies is horribly slow... waiting for the pictures to come up...

and every time I start a movie it shrinks WMC and I have to click minimize twice to get it to fill up the entire TV screen.... annoying

I used it some yesterday during and after my Windows 7 House Party...folks really liked the UI.

The UI is nice, if a bit slow at times (slower than just browsing their site, anyways) and if they get streaming HD I'll love the service but until then it's just a marketing gimmick in my book as the only time the quality looked good was when it was in the little "now playing" box when I left a show playing and went back to the netflix menu; it was watchable with the video at it's native size on my 24" screen, but not at fullscreen size.

Hopefully MS gets behind this as part of their push for digital distribution and things get better.

god it aint that bad... i was watching pbs the other day on my 110" screen. pretty much like 480i, but it was absolutely acceptable. didnt even notice after awhile to be honest...

btw, is this actually using flash and not silverlight? i could have sworn i saw it install flash to work... thing is, silverlight quality is totally dependent on internet speed and cpu power.... might be why were seeing differences. edit: it cant be flash, i know netflix abandoned that and ms wouldnt use it for their internet tv either.

I don't know guys, Netflix looks decent enough for me and my HDTV, not great or even close to HD but most of the time Netflix gives me DVD quality. :)

awesome, got mine working fine.

Is there a HULU for WMC?

Hulu Desktop+WMC Integration, do a search for Lifehack and Hulu.

Back