Netflix for Windows 10 Gets Picture-in-Picture Mode

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Netflix has finally brought picture-in-picture mode to Windows 10 users. The latest version of the app features a new button at the bottom of the screen that will shrink the window and set it to be always on top, where it can be dragged anywhere on the desktop.

…version 6.59.265…now supports always-on-top picture-in-picture mode, activated by the small button on the far lower right of the screen. Users are then able to continue watching their shows while pretending to be productive. The app appears quite well supported by Netflix, recently receiving support for 4K video and Dolby Atmos.

Dang, I thought this was so I could watch 2 netflix shows at once. (that way I could miss majors parts of both of them, grin)

OMG it's like someone read about WS_EX_TOPMOST on MSDN... does this mean Microsoft is actually trying to search for functions on MSDN. Will they fix their search system so we don't have to use Google to search MSDN?

Last edited:
Now if they'll just start supporting Chromecast like support for controls from a phone, like Spotify does...

Using a kb and mouse for an HTPC sucks, Spotify understands this.

Edit: oh yeah, also; auto fullscreen on playback.

But I want picture in picture in picture in picture in picture in picture in picture...

unity_hall_of_mirrors_by_cypher_neo-d3eeei4.png

So wow, I can use twice the bandwidth, or do they compress them even more? Long live blue disc!

Now if they'll just start supporting Chromecast like support for controls from a phone, like Spotify does...

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're trying to do. I do t have Netflix myself but I've used it plenty with people that do. They can control it completely using their phones/tablets when playing back on Chromecast.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're trying to do. I do t have Netflix myself but I've used it plenty with people that do. They can control it completely using their phones/tablets when playing back on Chromecast.

True, but that is on an actual Chromecast, which I dislike, it's slower to load, slower to get to high quality, and some kids series don't play right.

What I meant was controlling the Windows app through your phone app, just like Spotify allows. (And basically how a Chromecast works)

Wake me when they move beyond the MS drm/hdcp type BS for 4k requiring a ridiculous amount of new intel sh*t. Not really against hdcp, but their WIndows implementation of 4k is idiotic to say the least. Although, to be honest, their 4k compression is difficult to distinguish from 1080p disc so I guess it doesn't really matter.

Reactions: WhoMe
like this
Couldn’t you like....set a browser window to always be on top and then move it to where ever you wished on your screen? Boy, Windows sure was ahead of its time before all this app bullshit.

I tried googling how to do this, and everything I find says you have to install an app or download a browser extension.... It isn't built into Windows. What do you know that Google doesn't?

what's the difference between using the windows "app' and watching netflix with my browser?

hmm lil disappointed, it creates a window that I can only guess is 480x240 px..... give or take not sure exactly, small as hell

it can be resized VERTICALLY...but not stretched out horizontally any....

edit:
after screenshotting nad brining into photosohp and cropping it, it seems ot be exactly 502px wide, and varies on verticality, mines set to 359 right now

id like to see something around 720-800px wide, by like....480 or so high... whatever would balance out the 16:9 I guess....

Last edited:
I tried googling how to do this, and everything I find says you have to install an app or download a browser extension.... It isn't built into Windows. What do you know that Google doesn't?

Maybe I’m crazy. I seem to recall the option being there when right clicking programs inside the taskbar. Maybe it was just certain programs that did it.

Maybe I’m crazy. I seem to recall the option being there when right clicking programs inside the taskbar. Maybe it was just certain programs that did it.

the whole make window on top thing, seems to have gone the way of the dodo bird, in almost everything ive ever used it for....

so ya was kinda excited for the Netflix app to finally get it after being mentioned almost a year ago.... but its kinda sad and creates a window so small it makes little to no sense to use it

as a side note, whats with Netflix AND amazon, and not being able to watch video and say...play a game.... it stutters and chugs on me, as well as many other people that I know... (perhaps not the video, but the games in which we are also trying to run at same time...) id swear they were crypto mining me....

I do most of my Netflix watching on the Windows 10 application... and the Windows Media application before that.

So my question is why is it necessary if people have muti-monitor setups? I get it if there are single monitor but I know a large majority of us [H] people have multiple monitors where we can have full screens movies and surf the web and what not.
I guess I never really got into the whole picture in picture thing, that being said, Windows is behind the times.....

Back