Netflix First Original Anime Series Looks Awesome

That's some pretty nice cell shading. Not too much into space animes though.

What do you mean by "Netflix original"? This is being aired and fansubbed right now. I've been watching it. Do you mean they're gonna pull a Crunchyroll for this?

It's a "netflix exclusive" not a "netflix original"

There seems to be a lot of journalists simply copy and pasting the press release without actually stopping to think about what "original series" means.

I just finished watching the subbed version. You guys will really enjoy this if you enjoy sci-fi and anime. It takes a bit getting used to for the cgi, but you'll forget about it by the 2nd or 3rd episode.

I just finished watching the subbed version. You guys will really enjoy this if you enjoy sci-fi and anime. It takes a bit getting used to for the cgi, but you'll forget about it by the 2nd or 3rd episode.

I don't think it takes much getting used to if you've watched Zoids and the like before. The only difference is that the entire thing is done like that, not just battles and stuff. Over on some forums they're complaining about the "low quality" CG or whatever as usual. Personally I think it looks fine. And yeah, it's a decent anime, though I decided to skip ahead in the manga some and it basically somehow turns into a harem at some point (not revealing any critical plot details here), which boggles my mind. I'd say it's set to go downhill.

I haven't totally finished off the anime so I'm going to guess it just cuts off before then.

I also finished watching the subbed. I recommend checking about the 60fps version if you can. 24fps is kinda dreadful but still enjoyable.

I just finished the subbed first season. It's basically Attack on Titan in space wherein humans has been pushed to a corner by predators and have limited means of defending themselves. They even have to defeat the monsters using a certain way too. Anime isn't really know for originality these days but that being said the show is very good and I look forward to the next season.

I just finished the subbed first season. It's basically Attack on Titan in space wherein humans has been pushed to a corner by predators and have limited means of defending themselves. They even have to defeat the monsters using a certain way too. Anime isn't really know for originality these days but that being said the show is very good and I look forward to the next season.

And if you consider that Knights of Sidonia Manga came out 5 months before Attack on Titan. Makes you wonder who ripped off who.....

And if you consider that Knights of Sidonia Manga came out 5 months before Attack on Titan. Makes you wonder who ripped off who.....

Attack on Titan didn't rip of Knights of Sidonia. If anything Knights of Sidonia ripped off Robotech/Macross with their mecha vs giant aliens known as Zentraedi.

The problem with Anime that I have always had is the over explanation of EVERYTHING. Just get to the point already!

That being said, my favorite Anime is Ninja Scroll & Bastard.

First of all, every anime is the same, they haven't done anything original for a few decades. Second, they stole the name from the Knights of Cydonia song by Muse. Third, the plot of the music video of that song would make a much better and original tv series.

I never understood Anime, it reminds me of the Twilight series.

Woohoo! Another Zone of the Enders style humanoid mecha anime. :D *adds to watch list*

So if I don't understand Japanese (which I don't) I will just have to look at the voluptuous cartoons?

The problem with Anime that I have always had is the over explanation of EVERYTHING. Just get to the point already!

That being said, my favorite Anime is Ninja Scroll & Bastard.

Agreed. It's like they take a solid 12 episode show, and stretch it to 14-24 episodes. Spend hours recapping and driving every small "Hey maybe I need to think about this" moment home repeatedly until a visually/aurally impaired slab of marble could understand it.

So if I don't understand Japanese (which I don't) I will just have to look at the voluptuous cartoons?

And subtitles! Don't forget the subtitles.

Too bad we usually cancel awesome animated shows here in the states...I'm looking at you stunningly beautiful (and refreshingly dark) Tron: Uprising.

First of all, every anime is the same, they haven't done anything original for a few decades. Second, they stole the name from the Knights of Cydonia song by Muse. Third, the plot of the music video of that song would make a much better and original tv series.

Exactly. That's why I can hardly wait for Log Horizon's second season this October.

It's probably one of the best anime in the last 10 years. And thus its original form (light novel series) is one of the best light novels ever.

It took the MMO concept very well, the story is great and the characters are fleshed-out properly...even the NPCs.

It would be interesting if the anime delves more on the other "servers" too. From Q&As and some tidbits from the author, the most you can conclude is that the American server became a PvP server even though the players are in real life AND in the game...although at least when you die, you just lose part of your memories. It's implied though that because of the nature of the American server, there were already players that are essentially amnesiacs now, by the sheer number of times they have been "killed".

Who watches cartoons i just read the light novels or the comics nearly all japanese cartoons come from that. Japanese cartoons are so close to the source material it's just quicker and better for me to read instead of watch. Esp with the comics they often just use the comics for storyboarding, it becomes like a carbon copy it's weird to watch it after you read it.

American cartoons are a bit harder to find story driven ones but often are much more original so are worth watching. Even when they have source material they can be done well and slightly different enough that it's worth it like the "spectacular spiderman" series or teen titan or justice league/unlimited incarnations which pulled stories but told them well plus the stories where mostly old enough versions that they were fresh.

HAHA, I've been watching anime since the 1970s starting with Speed Racer, Starblazers, and my obsession with it took off after Robotech in the 1980s. Damn I'm old ;)
I've been waiting for a live action Hollywood version of Robotech! It could be great these days...

HAHA, I've been watching anime since the 1970s starting with Speed Racer, Starblazers, and my obsession with it took off after Robotech in the 1980s. Damn I'm old ;)

I watched them too... yes I'm old... however when I watched them they were called cartoons, not anime :) And while I'm sure there are those who will fiercely defend that anime is different than cartoons the bottom line is the only argument you'll win with me is that maybe anime is a different style of cartoons but it is a cartoon :)

Who watches cartoons i just read the light novels or the comics nearly all japanese cartoons come from that. Japanese cartoons are so close to the source material it's just quicker and better for me to read instead of watch. Esp with the comics they often just use the comics for storyboarding, it becomes like a carbon copy it's weird to watch it after you read it.

American cartoons are a bit harder to find story driven ones but often are much more original so are worth watching. Even when they have source material they can be done well and slightly different enough that it's worth it like the "spectacular spiderman" series or teen titan or justice league/unlimited incarnations which pulled stories but told them well plus the stories where mostly old enough versions that they were fresh.

Comparing american cartoons to Anime is about like comparing cat turds to Apples. Generally speaking when it comes to story/voice acting and animation quality there is just no comparison. Especially with the recent trend in american cartoons in getting cheaper and cheaper in animation. Don't get me wrong there are a few gems here and there, but for the most part it is the same saturday morning shit we've had for 50+ years.

Couldn't figure out why Netflix would do an original anime series in Japanese...then I realized it is just exclusive use and not original.

I like anime but not a fan of 100% cell shading series...

Comparing american cartoons to Anime is about like comparing cat turds to Apples. Generally speaking when it comes to story/voice acting and animation quality there is just no comparison. Especially with the recent trend in american cartoons in getting cheaper and cheaper in animation. Don't get me wrong there are a few gems here and there, but for the most part it is the same saturday morning shit we've had for 50+ years.
Lol you do realize that they are mostly still just korean animated no matter japan or US. The style used in "anime" was developed in the US to save money. Hell it's all about lower costing animation it's why it's animated on 3's instead of on 2's like an american cartoon. If you want to knock american cartoons if you're using japanese cartoons as a comparison claiming cheap animation is utterly ridiculous.

Also i suggest you learn japanese if you really think anime voice acting and writing is really great. The voice acting is about the same as any american cartoon. You know that alot of fan translation teams will adult up content their translations don't carry the same meaning to people who actually can read and understand the content. They don't change what's going on contextually but the subtext tends to be lost and connotation is almost always done poorly with fan translations.

Really the large difference is that american cartoons tend to be episodic but most american TV is episodic as well. Only recent trend away from that has been done by cable TV. While Japanese cartoons tend to have story driven source material that comes from their light novel/comic industry.

All you pointed out is you like story driven content.

Press release doesn't know what the hell is going on. Came here to laugh. Thread goes to shit. Yawn.

Not sure what compelled them to choose this one - I couldn't stomach the rampant logical inconsistencies and outright stupid gimmicks.

#1: You can only kill the giant space monster with a quasi-magical sword/spear in a specific spot. Also, the monster moves through space... how?
#2: Clones that act strangely like not-clones. I'm going to throw a guess out there that the originals were related, but retaining that in clones is kinda... unlikely.
#3: Third gender just for giggles. They open that can of worms and then just leave it out in the sun - this could have been an interesting plot device, but it seems like it rotted on the vine. Along that line, non-gendered/3rd-gendered people still act like gendered people? Seriously, wasted concept for this genre [mecha ain't got time for social considerations, yo!]
#4: Speaking of the Sun - Photosynthesizing [while clothed even] from artificial lighting even remotely supplying enough energy for human activity.
Special Award for Egregious Stupidity goes to #5: A [expletive deleted] bear in a nurse outfit with a mechanical arm that talks. The bear-thing, not the arm. A bear.

I'll skip over the "let's give giant robots to teenagers" trope because that's just a genre thing when you're writing for teenagers [for parody, see FMP]. There's probably more that I forgot/missed because I had to force myself to sit through a few [3-4] episodes [I tried to give it a chance], but I only have so much free time.

Lol you do realize that they are mostly still just korean animated no matter japan or US. The style used in "anime" was developed in the US to save money. Hell it's all about lower costing animation it's why it's animated on 3's instead of on 2's like an american cartoon. If you want to knock american cartoons if you're using japanese cartoons as a comparison claiming cheap animation is utterly ridiculous.

Also i suggest you learn japanese if you really think anime voice acting and writing is really great. The voice acting is about the same as any american cartoon. You know that alot of fan translation teams will adult up content their translations don't carry the same meaning to people who actually can read and understand the content. They don't change what's going on contextually but the subtext tends to be lost and connotation is almost always done poorly with fan translations.

Really the large difference is that american cartoons tend to be episodic but most american TV is episodic as well. Only recent trend away from that has been done by cable TV. While Japanese cartoons tend to have story driven source material that comes from their light novel/comic industry.

All you pointed out is you like story driven content.

Sigh, I figured I would get at least one idiotic response that clearly didn't understand my point.

Cheap to produce != cheap looking. I am referring to the extremely cheap looking art style so heavily used in American animation. I don't care if it actually costs more if it looks like shit, it looks like shit.

As for Voice acting, no afraid there isn't a comparison. I actually do know a good bit of japanese though I am far from fluent in it. However that is irrelevant to the fact that when it comes to conveying emotion and story, american voice acting in cartoons and for that matter dubbed anime falls flat (There are exceptions). The basic premise for this is that americans view cartoons as nothing more than a medium to entertain kids or for low brow toilet humor. It isn't taken seriously on any level which of course ties into its episodic nature. Now again don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with that and I have plenty of love for Futurama, Family guy, American Dad and even the Simpsons back in the day. However that doesn't stop me from being able to look at anime and see the stark differences in quality across the board for the good ones. The fact of the matter is animation in america isn't taken seriously by Writers, animators or Actors and it shows. You compare the best of american animation to the best of japanese and frankly it is pretty much garbage by comparison.

About the only thing we do well are the animated musicals Disney calls movies, but those are not exactly aimed at adults. I should be fair here and say that the production quality of animated movies over here does tend to be better as they are usually Stand alone and not tied to a manga, however I wouldn't really classify those as "Cartoons" either.

For the record, many producers of modern American animation are anime fans, and many producers of modern anime are fans of American animation. Some people just like animation as an expressive medium and leave it at that.

Lol cheap looking, posting it in a cartoon done with cheap korean cgi that's cell shaded and it's a mecha genre so you know they just recycle the same fight scenes but mirrored time to time. Just have something shoot off frame can recycle this shot 100 times!

I'm sorry but anime that is shown on tv in japan is some of the cheapest shit out there. Japan can have some beautiful animation but it's only in their movies, Miyazaki and Shinkai has made a career on his stylized animation. Just like in the US the strongest animation is done at the movie level.

Want to see cheap animation watch any action based japanese cartoon but don't focus on the foreground focus purely on the background, then watch it again and focus on the characters but not their faces, you'll notice how cheaply things are done heavy recycled scenes and frames. The fact you find it to look quality is the whole point of that style it's to trick people into thinking there is more going on than there actually is.

Most japanese cartoon voice acting is hamming it up often because it's overwritten dialogue helps hide the lack of animation, it's overdone. It's like listening to child actors "act", all japanese cartoons have to stand on is their source material which is story driven works either from light novels or comics. Outside of that the actual animation part is poor.

Back