Netflix Explains Its Mediocre Movie Selection

While I claim that I want more movies, I have the Comcast OnDemand service that offers literally about 10K movies...and I rarely watch any of those either.
If anything, it feels like I want a selection of lower profile movies from the 80's and 90's. For instance, what If I want to re-watch the Emerald Forest, Killing Fields, Believers, or even just European Vacation. That typically isn't easy if it's even possible.
Most streaming and OnDemand services seem to offer nothing but either blockbusters or D-level stuff.

I'm also not going anywhere near the "There is not a god damn thing that has graced the TV in years" line because all I have to say to that is: Breaking Bad , True Detective (S1), and even Stranger Things (JUST to mention three...)

I'd have to somewhat agree with him. I have no interest in watching the shows you listed, just like many of the other "popular" shows.

I dropped Netflix years ago due to the lack of Movies (that's mainly why I subscribed). There where to many time that I had a movie in my queue, and when I finally had time to watch it, it was no longer available.

If i want to watch a fairly recent movie... i will look on vudoo or amazon. I would rather pay separately for a single movie that i want, than have to pay more per month on Netflix hoping it makes it there. I love the original content on Netflix, and being able to watch the whole seasons in a single binge or whenever i have time, well that best part of Netflix.

Better get used to it.

Now that the content industry has seen how lucrative streaming is, they will move to balkanize it so that every big media company has their own service and everything will be exclusive to something. Instead of being able to just subscribe to Netflix for an all you can eat buffet of content, you will now need to subscribe to 10 different services. CBS is already doing this with Star Trek and CBS All Access and there is no reason to think that they will be the only ones (AT&T trying to buy out Time Warner is an obvious attempt at getting a content library for a streaming service.) Everything will either be on a streaming service owned by the content provider or part of some exclusive deal with a third-party provider.
This is why I have both Netflix streaming and Netflix (or whatever they call it now) DVDs/Blurays by mail. I get the best of both worlds.

There is still enough content I'm interested in on netflix to keep it for now but I am losing interest. The only reason I still have netflix dvd (dvd.com now technically) is that you can still get most new movies that way, since they won't show up on streaming for a few more months if ever. I live near several redbox machines if I wanted to give that up and still get new movies for rent. Thing is the movie companies are getting worse with the gated releases. They will release new movies to digital rental/buy via their own sites or comcast/time warner etc.. for damn near full price 2-3 weeks before retail disc release to stores, which is 30 days before rentals are allowed on netflix or redbox. Stop being such greedy bastards and release them all at the same time. Often enough I forget about newer movies as it is 7+ weeks from digital release to rentals being available.

There is no way in hell I'm going to trust a cable company to maintain my access to content I theoretically own, even amazon I don't trust on that front. I am not going to pay comcast et al. $5.99 for a 24 hour HD digital rental/pay per view deal.

Good for them. Virtually everything I watch is a netflix original or a TV series that I'm catching up on. I'm not against movies, but that's not why I get Netflix. Honestly, if I want to watch a move, I'll go to Redbox and rent a disk or go the the theater and catch it first run. Atmos sound and/or a 75' screen trumps most home setups.... Oh who am I kidding. they're better than every home setup that costs less than 25 grand (and probably most of those too). And honestly, most of the time the audience is well behaved....but then I specialize in going to movies while everyone else is either in Church, coming back from church and/or watching football.

Good for them. Virtually everything I watch is a netflix original or a TV series that I'm catching up on. I'm not against movies, but that's not why I get Netflix. Honestly, if I want to watch a move, I'll go to Redbox and rent a disk or go the the theater and catch it first run. Atmos sound and/or a 75' screen trumps most home setups.... Oh who am I kidding. they're better than every home setup that costs less than 25 grand (and probably most of those too). And honestly, most of the time the audience is well behaved....but then I specialize in going to movies while everyone else is either in Church, coming back from church and/or watching football.
Movie theater quality varies drastically. I've been to many theaters that overdrive their speakers to the point that they are either too shrill or completely blown. I don't know how the theater management don't notice this or perhaps they don't care.

why cant digital content like Netflix, be like old times. Once you buy the movie, you keep it in your database forever. Blockbuster was like that to rent movies, the only difference, its not like with digital content you are running out of room, where you can easily increase the data size of your servers, compare to renting movies, you need to find more space to store it. So why can't they keep the movies, forget the rights, policy and all that bullshit, buy and play, simple as that. I would only pay a company if they have a movie database for everything, from the 1950's to new release, you search for what you want and you get it.

There is still enough content I'm interested in on netflix to keep it for now but I am losing interest. The only reason I still have netflix dvd (dvd.com now technically) is that you can still get most new movies that way, since they won't show up on streaming for a few more months if ever. I live near several redbox machines if I wanted to give that up and still get new movies for rent. Thing is the movie companies are getting worse with the gated releases. They will release new movies to digital rental/buy via their own sites or comcast/time warner etc.. for damn near full price 2-3 weeks before retail disc release to stores, which is 30 days before rentals are allowed on netflix or redbox. Stop being such greedy bastards and release them all at the same time. Often enough I forget about newer movies as it is 7+ weeks from digital release to rentals being available.
Patience is a virtue. There are precious few movies that are worth going to a cinema to watch. Everything else...well, if it's good, I can wait until it's at RedBox. I feel no loss from seeing a movie a few weeks/months/years after everyone else.

Frankly, I don't quite understand how people are willing to pay a whole lot more (or put up with a lot more hassle) just to watch a movie a few weeks earlier.

I cancelled my Netflix because there was not enough good movies to warrant it and also because I want my data cap for game downloads and not shitty TV shows. I can watch youtube and movies that are out of copyright if I need to be passively entertained. I now mostly watch documentaries on youtube and don't even have a TV. Don't miss it either.

Wife and I watch Murder She Wrote every night on Netflix while I massage her feet from the chemo effects. Relaxing and decent to watch. Haven't watched a movie on Netflix in a long time.

Movie theater quality varies drastically. I've been to many theaters that overdrive their speakers to the point that they are either too shrill or completely blown. I don't know how the theater management don't notice this or perhaps they don't care.
I'm pretty picky about theaters/screens. I currently go to 2 different theaters and for the most part, I only go to the best theaters in each of them (so 4 screens). Since we reserve seats, I also schedule it around getting the seats I want (though I never buy the tix in advance).

Been with Netflix a long time, but if their movie selection keeps getting crappier, I'm going to cancel.

Back