Netflix Dominates the Video Streaming Statistics for the World

cageymaru

Fully [H]
The latest Global Internet Phenomena Report from Sandvine details how much downstream bandwidth popular video streaming services use in proportion to the entirety of the internet. The first interesting statistic is that Netflix uses 15% of the downstream bandwidth in the world and 19.1% in the USA. Amazon Prime Video actually uses more downstream bandwidth than YouTube, and the worldwide usage to stream video is 57.7% of the overall downstream bandwidth used.

Netflix remains the 800-pound gorilla of the streaming world: Video from the service consumes a significant 15% of all internet bandwidth globally, the most of any single application. That's according to the latest Global Internet Phenomena Report from Sandvine, a vendor of bandwidth-management systems. Netflix was followed by HTTP media streams, representing 13.1% of all downstream traffic; YouTube (11.4%); web browsing (7.8%); and MPEG transport streams (4.4%).

That's amazing!

...said no one, because Netflix has been on this trajectory for a while. Still an ass of data, though.

I'd be more inclined to randomly peruse Amazon Prime's listings if both it and the player weren't crimes against humanity.

That's amazing!

...said no one, because Netflix has been on this trajectory for a while. Still an ass of data, though.

Politicians and network executives would likely say that, for various reasons.

This is why I oppose net neutrality. Netflix is making a fortune off the infrastructure I'm paying for with my ISP subscription, and since I don't subscribe to NetFlix, all I get out of it is clogged intertubes.

That's amazing!

Wonder how long it will take until someone starts in on the netflix should pay its fair share bs...

I'd be more inclined to randomly peruse Amazon Prime's listings if both it and the player weren't crimes against humanity.

There just inst that much on there that you dont have to pay extra for...and that interface. That is an abortion of an interface...

Wonder how long it will take until someone starts in on the netflix should pay its fair share bs...

There just inst that much on there that you dont have to pay extra for...and that interface. That is an abortion of an interface...
what is on there is quite good, the problem is getting to it and the in browser player is absolute mind bending trash.. i don't understand why amazon thinks it's fine.

the movie industry is already quietly going after them.. the amount of money netflix is having to pay just to have access to their library is insane but at the same time the industry knows they need netflix.

This is why I oppose net neutrality. Netflix is making a fortune off the infrastructure I'm paying for with my ISP subscription, and since I don't subscribe to NetFlix, all I get out of it is clogged intertubes.

don't worry your isp is also getting money from netflix as well.

What they don't mention is how much bandwidth the spambots eat. And the robocaller bots. And the streaming Nigerian Space Exploration Agency subscriptions.

Back