Netflix Cancels The Punisher And Jessica Jones

Disney sucks. They are the EA of the movie world and just like EA, it's where great studio's go to die. I was disgusted when I heard the purchase of all of Fox's movie IP's was approved by the DOJ. Antitrust / Monopoly laws in the United States are a bad joke and are seldom / very selectively applied. Of course none of this surprises me at all. Corporations own, control, and run our government. Their coup d'état has been complete for decades and now (collectively) too few even raise a brow that we are Democratic Representative Republic "in name only". In truth, we are the Corporate $tates of America which operates as "Inverted totalitarianism".

Inverted totalitarianism is different from classical forms of totalitarianism. It does not find its expression in a demagogue or charismatic leader but in the faceless anonymity of the corporate state. Our inverted totalitarianism pays outward fealty to the facade of electoral politics, the Constitution, civil liberties, freedom of the press, the independence of the judiciary, and the iconography, traditions and language of American patriotism, but it has effectively seized all of the mechanisms of power to render the citizen impotent.

~Sheldon Wolon

/rant off

I knew Jessica Jones and Punisher were going to be axed after the announcement of Daredevil being canned. Daredevil was by far the most popular / profitable of the four Defenders so Jessica Jones and Punisher following was a forgone conclusion. Streaming is profitable and the future, my only surprise in all of this is that Disney did not start recalling it's IP / launching it's own streaming service sooner.

DebtandInjustice.jpg

Disney sucks. They are the EA of the movie world and just like EA, it's where great studio's go to die. I was disgusted when I heard the purchase of all of Fox's movie IP's was approved by the DOJ. Antitrust / Monopoly laws in the United States are a bad joke and are seldom / very selectively applied. Of course none of this surprises me at all. Corporations own, control, and run our government. Their coup d'état has been complete for decades and now (collectively) too few even raise a brow that we are Democratic Representative Republic "in name only". In truth, we are the Corporate $tates of America which operates as "Inverted totalitarianism".

Inverted totalitarianism is different from classical forms of totalitarianism. It does not find its expression in a demagogue or charismatic leader but in the faceless anonymity of the corporate state. Our inverted totalitarianism pays outward fealty to the facade of electoral politics, the Constitution, civil liberties, freedom of the press, the independence of the judiciary, and the iconography, traditions and language of American patriotism, but it has effectively seized all of the mechanisms of power to render the citizen impotent.

~Sheldon Wolon

/rant off

I knew Jessica Jones and Punisher were going to be axed after the announcement of Daredevil being canned. Daredevil was by far the most popular / profitable of the four Defenders so Jessica Jones and Punisher following was a forgone conclusion. Streaming is profitable and the future, my only surprise in all of this is that Disney did not start recalling it's IP / launching it's own streaming service sooner.

View attachment 142791
Lists a bunch of Government Largess Monopolies and criticizes markets. Okay.

Disney F-ed up Star Wars, so they will NEVER see a dime of my money. CBS is the same way. They continue to peddle that crap they are calling Star Trek. Disney and CBS have lost touch with reality and are living in a SJW world.

Get woke, go broke.

Most sane people don't want politics in their entertainment. They seek out entertainment to escape the world not be battered with it.

Not sure he meant Reality TV as in "Survivor", "Property Brothers" and "Diners, Drive-in's and Dives". That shit is just awful, and I wish they would all just die in a fire.

"[House Hunters episode]
HUSBAND: "I sell used 8-track tapes"
WIFE: "And I hang potatoes in people's garages"
HUSBAND: Our budget is $950K
"

I'm thinking he means more realistic scripted content. Thrillers, crime drama's maybe even some sci-fi. Stuff that doesn't require too much suspense of disbelief.

More "Breaking Bad", less "The Bachelor".
Hahaha too true I fing hate HGTV and all the dumb house shows.

Get woke, go broke.

Most sane people don't want politics in their entertainment. They seek out entertainment to escape the world not be battered with it.

Playing devil's advocate - some also see politics in absolutely everything, even when it's just a fictional story.

But I completely agree, I get tired of everything being some soapbox diatribe and sometimes dammit, I want to see things explode and watch zombies chase both lefties and righties around. Zombie doesn't give a shit. Not everything needs to be a statement on what we think the world should be.

Disney F-ed up Star Wars, so they will NEVER see a dime of my money. CBS is the same way. They continue to peddle that crap they are calling Star Trek. Disney and CBS have lost touch with reality and are living in a SJW world.
Mushroom Warp Drive something something...

Playing devil's advocate - some also see politics in absolutely everything, even when it's just a fictional story.

But I completely agree, I get tired of everything being some soapbox diatribe and sometimes dammit, I want to see things explode and watch zombies chase both lefties and righties around. Zombie doesn't give a shit. Not everything needs to be a statement on what we think the world should be.

The problem isn't politics, the problem occurs when a show basically is yelling at the audience to accept them, instead of just showing people and telling a story

They Daredevil-ified the Punisher on Netflix. It seemed like too much fist fighting, like Daredevil. Daredevil on its own was good, but the Punisher is something else. He's all about firearms, weaponry. Those should have been front and center, but they weren't as much. The Netflix show had the Punisher be bloodied like all the time from fist fighting.... dumb. I don't care what anyone says.... the 1989 Punisher was cool.

They Daredevil-ified the Punisher on Netflix. It seemed like too much fist fighting, like Daredevil. Daredevil on its own was good, but the Punisher is something else. He's all about firearms, weaponry. Those should have been front and center, but they weren't as much. The Netflix show had the Punisher be bloodied like all the time from fist fighting.... dumb. I don't care what anyone says.... the 1989 Punisher was cool.

Really? Red stilettos and all?

The problem isn't politics, the problem occurs when a show basically is yelling at the audience to accept them, instead of just showing people and telling a story

Seriously.

"... any man that says 'I am the King' is no true King at all."
- Tywin Lannister

It was. I'm a War Zone fan myself.

Well, at least the Punisher was an honestly titled show. After watching a season of it, I felt like _I_ was the one being punished. Then I realized I didn't have to watch it and broke the cycle of abuse!

All these rants about this sucks, Star Wars is wrecked, New Star Trek sucks, Reality Shows, etc. Reminds me of a song by Tool and is my response to you:

Tool - Hooker With a Penis. Released in 1996 when music didn't suck so much. /s

All these rants about this sucks, Star Wars is wrecked, New Star Trek sucks, Reality Shows, etc. Reminds me of a song by Tool and is my response to you:

Tool - Hooker With a Penis. Released in 1996 when music didn't suck so much. /s

Well then learn to swim. See you down in Arizona Bay.

I liked the first season of The Punisher, but the second one was pretty corny.

Still sad to see it go. I always laughed when the guy that plays the punisher does that stupid grunt when running. Someone needs to make a montage of that!

haha yea, the punisher howl is quite funny. u should see ben barnes talking about it in an imdb interview is hilarious.

my fears have become a reality, the punisher was my favourite, and dd was prety damn good, rest of the defenders were enjoyable also i think. i just wont believe netflix would cancel either unless someone stood in their way, it really was one of the most succesful series on there, dd and the punisher that is. it was probably what i excepected seeing as big krakken disney devoured marvel recently and they pull all the licenses other studios had, like everything else. FUCK DISNEY, as they never will do anything dark like the punisher. corporations own everything today...! i do think, alot but not all of the marvel movies have held a prety high quality, unlike star wars is so so. money just corupts everything in this world and soon coroirations will run for president :p

These are some of the few shows I've watched on Netflix lately. I'm almost done with S1 of Punisher - love it. Nice and grim. Going to be starting up S2 soon. My wife actually liked Jessica Jones and it was a show we watched together - this is kind of rare so nice to find something we both liked.
About a Disney channel...my problem, I currently subscribe to Netflix and Hulu. I'm close to $30 a month - getting expensive. I'm assuming Disney is going to be in the range of $10-15 for my family. If they had shows I really liked, I would consider dropping one of the other streaming services and picking this up for a while. I like having variety, but only have some much surplus money and time.

Get woke, go broke.

Black Panther made over a billion dollars. It is a VERY political movie. The difference is how it presented those politics and how it treated the audience.

Black Panther made over a billion dollars. It is a VERY political movie. The difference is how it presented those politics and how it treated the audience.

Because it wove a story and showed people, rather than screaming at the audience to accept them. STD uses the cast outside MB as audience surrogates, which is why one can feel like its lecturing them.

I'm not signing up for any more services, already at my max. Its stupid. You think people are going to sign up for 10 to 20 different services all charging around 10 dollars. Thats more than cable
A point I've made many times and then some fool chimes in 'but you only get the ones for the shows you watch'. Doesn't help when each service has 1 or 2 shows. Solution-stop watching. I'm not thrilled with cable but this is definitely a worse scenario.

Whether you like it or not, Star Trek has always tackled social justice issues. Last I checked, the original crew included a Russian man, a Japanese man (whose actor happens to be gay), and a black woman at a time when that was pretty ground breaking. Sci-fi and comics have often been on the leading edge of these issues. Bringing real issues into it allows some of these shows to have villains that have complex motivations. It makes them seem more like real people in a fantasy world.

I'm not being sarcastic: what is all of this "SJW" stuff all of you are up in arms over? Do you really care that much that there was an overweight Asian woman in the last Star Wars? Seriously, I can think of dozens of better things to criticize it over. Furthermore, have you for the last 40 years missed that Star Wars was taking jabs at ultra-nationalism and authoritarianism? Why do you think the bad guys are called "storm troopers?" George Lucas didn't make up that name or pick it out of a hat.

Art often critiques the societal context in which it takes place. The idea that art exists in a vacuum and bears no relationship to the issues of its day is about the silliest thing I've ever heard. If you think this is a modern phenomenon, than you must have missed the 20th century... and the 19th... and the 18th... If you want examples, I can give you as many as you want.

I think I'm the only one on this thread saying this since so much has already been said about Punisher but wife and I will miss Jessica Jones. It was rough getting into for both seasons but it got addictive after 3 to 4 eps in. Glad that we'll at least get one more.

what is all of this "SJW" stuff

It's the new bandwagon for those who can't think for themselves to complain about. Occasionally I see some validity in the complaints but mostly I see less intelligence than a cow walking into an electric fence.

It's the new bandwagon for those who can't think for themselves to complain about. Occasionally I see some validity in the complaints but mostly I see less intelligence than a cow walking into an electric fence.

In general, I think many would make better points if they actually articulated them versus just screaming "SJW!". There are undoubtedly examples which go both ways, but I'd really like more granularity described, if no other reason than to help me understand folks' concerns. Whitewashing (pun intended) all issues under a common blanket makes it really hard to know where the pressure points really are, and dilutes the ability to have any actual discussion.

Whether you like it or not, Star Trek has always tackled social justice issues. Last I checked, the original crew included a Russian man, a Japanese man (whose actor happens to be gay), and a black woman at a time when that was pretty ground breaking. Sci-fi and comics have often been on the leading edge of these issues. Bringing real issues into it allows some of these shows to have villains that have complex motivations. It makes them seem more like real people in a fantasy world.

I'm not being sarcastic: what is all of this "SJW" stuff all of you are up in arms over? Do you really care that much that there was an overweight Asian woman in the last Star Wars? Seriously, I can think of dozens of better things to criticize it over. Furthermore, have you for the last 40 years missed that Star Wars was taking jabs at ultra-nationalism and authoritarianism? Why do you think the bad guys are called "storm troopers?" George Lucas didn't make up that name or pick it out of a hat.

Art often critiques the societal context in which it takes place. The idea that art exists in a vacuum and bears no relationship to the issues of its day is about the silliest thing I've ever heard. If you think this is a modern phenomenon, than you must have missed the 20th century... and the 19th... and the 18th... If you want examples, I can give you as many as you want.

There is a whole mother thread on STD 7 pages long, there are some very good posts about why it sucks and it has nothing to do with SJW.

'SJW' is really about forcing those views down your throats, rather than telling a story with compelling characters that happen to also be XYZ (trans, racial, gay, etc). SJWism takes those characters and rather than let them just exist in the show, they make them magic, overly capable beings, while they belittle the rest of the characters.

If TOS was made today, Chekhov, Sulu, and Uhura would solve every problem, be experts at everything, and everyone else would be borderline incompetent.

Netflix is on the way down.
DD and The punisher was their top shows possibly but, still think they got the best and also the most quality "Original/Netflix" branded movies/shows out of every streaming service i know, ontop of alot of other stuff. Iv'e seen some prety good things on there. Titans(dcu), not Netflix but show promisse for other things, Haunting of Hill House f.ex just to mention something. Marvel/Disney will surely hurt them a bit but, dont think they depend on it. Maybe HBO can come close but they lack content alot. Prime flat out suck, some original content is good but, all the movies on there is like crap. Viaplay is just fine. Those are the services ive tried anyway, im always paying for Netflix and checking back in on Viaplay/HBO now and then to watch what new things they added.

Netflix has a throw as much crap as possible against the wall and see if anything sticks approach to greenlighting shows. Sometimes they find a hit. Most of the time their shows are total garbage. Both of these shows were garbage.

I mean yeah let's a make a Punisher show with the annoying punchable douchebag guy who got written off of Walking Dead as the lead. Or how about a brooding emo leather jacket chick detective show. These shows had suck and fail written all over them and I never had any desire to watch either one of them.

Last edited:
Netflix has a throw as much crap as possible against the wall and see if anything sticks approach to greenlighting shows. Sometimes they find a hit. Most of the time their shows are total garbage. Both of these shows were garbage.

I mean yeah let's a make a Punisher show with the annoying punchable douchebag guy who got written off of Walking Dead as the lead. Or how about a brooding emo leather jacket chick detective show. These shows had suck and fail written all over them and I never had any desire to watch either one of them.
so.. u didnt watch the shows but hate them by default, i guess your opinion is very valid :p bernthal was prety great in the punisher actually.. close to all starting out is dead in the walking dead tho, even rick grimes is out temporarily or permanently is unclear but, he didnt die. carl died also recently.

Question. Has anything been mentioned about Defenders?

I know all the tributary titles have been cancelled.

But I haven't actually seen it said that Defenders wasn't moving forward.

So, post JJ3, we could see Defenders Season 2, then a cancellation.

It's just the natural progression of things. Pretty soon every last content creator will have their own distribution platform, both in games, and in TV/Film.

It sucks for the end user, creating a fragmented mess of services one has to subscribe to to get the content one wants, but these fools don't give a shit. They just look at their spreadsheets and wonder why they are letting anyone else earn money on their content when they can run platforms themselves...

And thus we go, more and more fragmentation, more and more inconvenience to the user so that publishers/content owners can maximize profit.

It's almost as if they want to re-invigorate piracy.

Time after time it has been shown that few people pirate for the money. People actually WANT to pay for their content, so that the talent gets paid. People pirate because they feel they are being screwed over, inconvenienced and shat upon, and they just want to screw the content owners, especially when piracy is easier than jumping through the hoops they create to pay for it it legitimately.

Mark my words, the further down this path we go, the more piracy we get.

What consumers really want is a single platform from which to get ALL of their content. One games store, one streaming video service, not 15, and they want it without having to sacrifice not getting all the content they want and that their friends are getting, so that they feel left out.

A torrent site can provide this. None of these fragmented messes of stores can.

Multiplayer games have a built in advantage of requiring legitimate copies in order to play online, but movies, TV shows and single player games are definitely going to be pushed towards piracy if this keeps up.

Microsoft should have made the Windows Store an integrated store launcher for all platforms. Users could opt in (or out) to launch their games from the Windows store, no matter what stupid company wants you to use their game launcher.
Give the service for free and only collect ad revenue. Xbox game sales will increase greatly from it as well. No longer will we need to have multiple logins/apps and our private information floating around on unsecured servers waiting to be hacked.

... They continue to peddle that crap they are calling Star Trek. Disney and CBS have lost touch with reality and are living in a SJW world.

Whether you like it or not, Star Trek has always tackled social justice issues.

The original Star Trek was SJW for its time. Granted it was the 1960's and the bar was pretty low (really low), but Star Trek has always had a strong flavor of drama and morality.

Hell yeah! As soon as I saw that chick with purple hair in The Last Jedi, I was like oh HAIL NAW ...

You waited for the purple hair? Shit, I didn't make it past the stupid opening sequence where Poe didn't get churned into galactic dogshit facing down a cruiser. "BB-Ballwasher, I need you to make sparks across that panel of 1970's resistors! HURRY! And make some cute noises, I'm dying up here."

Not sure he meant Reality TV as in "Survivor", "Property Brothers" and "Diners, Drive-in's and Dives". That shit is just awful, and I wish they would all just die in a fire.

"[House Hunters episode]
HUSBAND: "I sell used 8-track tapes"
WIFE: "And I hang potatoes in people's garages"
HUSBAND: Our budget is $950K
"

I feel the same way about Pawn Stars....

RICK HARRISON: "How much do you want for it?"
CUSTOMER: "$2,000.00."
RICK HARRISON: "Well, I'm gonna have to call in an expert..."
THE EXPERT: "It's worth about $2,000.00."
RICK HARRISON: "Ok. I'll give you $45.00 for it."

For myself, I liked all of the Netflix Marvel content except Iron Fist. I really liked Daredevil and Jessica Jones. Watching the first season of Daredevil, I felt like they stayed true to the origins and the comic while placing him believably in an urban setting. He's a superhero, but he doesn't do anything overtly superhero-ish, like rescue airliners or have enemies that knock down skyscrapers. Daredevil, Jessica Jones and Luke Cage were part of the landscape they lived in.

Last edited:
If you are aware of my posting history here, you'll know that I'm militantly anti-piracy, but cripes if I was an amoral teen again I would be tempted. It seemed like we'd finally found a sweet spot where services were enough of a deal that people wouldn't be willing to pay instead of pirate. Now with all the fracturing, it's again becoming a pirate's market—not because of costs so much, but because of convenience.

Since I'm anti-piracy and try to avoid being a hypocrite, I'll just forgo all the various shows scattered around the various services. Too big a pain in the ass. I'll just play my guitar and peruse random Youtube videos.

I'm not signing up for any more services, already at my max. Its stupid. You think people are going to sign up for 10 to 20 different services all charging around 10 dollars. Thats more than cable
I've said it before and I'll say it again: you don't have to sign up for every service at any given time. Have one or 2 that you always have and the rest, just get it for a month, binge whatever it is you want to see then cancel and move on.

CBS has a couple of shows i like, but I'm just gonna wait till this summer, sign up for a month, binge them all and cancel. If Disney has good stuff, then I'll do that with them one or 2 months/year. OTOH, I couldn't care less about them having the star wars movies. If I want to watch star wars at home, then I'll buy the UHD disk (or rent if Redbox ever expands 4k to my area).

I'll miss all but Iron Fist (though maybe I'd miss it if I watched it...but doubt it). I'm watching Daredevil now and so far s3 is solid. I'm guessing that Disney is going to end up making these for themselves. Can't imagine why they'd stop, given that these have a following. I'm sure people will at least sign up for a month binge a few shows then move on. Others will just add another channel. I can't keep up with Netflix, so I definitely won't add CBS or Disney full time...but a month or 2/year is doable.

Back