Netflix Cancels The Punisher And Jessica Jones

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
Even though Netflix's Marvel TV series are still quite popular, the streaming platform has steadily been axing all of them. They already canceled Daredevil, Luke Cage, and Iron Fist, and today, Deadline reports that Netflix has all but finished off their slice of the Marvel Cinematic Universe by canceling Jessica Jones and The Punisher. Jessica Jones will still get a third season, and the 2nd season of The Punisher came out relatively recently, but Netflix confirmed that those will be the final seasons of both shows. While Netflix didn't mention Disney by name, they did say "on behalf of everyone at Marvel Television, we couldn't be more proud or more grateful to our audience. Our Network partner may have decided they no longer want to continue telling the tales of these great characters… but you know Marvel better than that." Thanks to exlink for the tip.

After Iron Fist, Luke Cage and Daredevil were all given the chop late last year by the streamer, the unplugging of further seasons of the blood and bullet strewn Frank Castle saga should really come as no surprise. With new and old Marvel content a big component of the upcoming Disney+ streaming service, the final stage of the disentangling of the once burgeoning relationship between the House of Mouse and Netflix has now become more a matter of when and how not if. Additionally, the Jeph Loeb-run Marvel TV inked a four-series and one special deal with the soon-to-be Disney dominated Hulu on February 11 that will surely become the new focus of the comic giant’s small screen division.

They're not great shows.. Couldn't get past some episodes with all of them. Super hero shows are no longer a trend with the amount of them now, same with movies.People want more reality.

Just like the Epic Store won't see my money, Disney stream won't either.
Thanks for reminding me to get my free game this week!

Depending on how they price it, I might join this one. Between my kids and star wars. If they can do the content right, I can probably get a good $10 a month worth out of it while content is churning. Otherwise $10 to binge a month and cancel.

Well, when there's rare moments of better acting in shows like Gold Rush and Pawn Stars...the bar wasn't set very high for these streaming series.

The Punisher was good in Dare-Devil...I started to watch the P. series but then they started down the road of vets talking about getting guns for a revolution against the government... turned it off after that.

nah punisher series as a whole was the best out of them.. daredevil fell off hard season 2 then picked up again season 3.. jessica jones just feels like the writers don't know how to transition from her back story into her character properly and just gave up.. i hope they do something good with the final season though because out of the 4(screw iron fist) she's the more interesting character.. luke cage just turned into exactly what everyone thought it was going to turn into with trying to stay relevant with shit that's happening in the real world.. the reason people watch super hero shows/movies is to forget about what's happening in the real world, not re-live it on TV.

Disney F-ed up Star Wars, so they will NEVER see a dime of my money. CBS is the same way. They continue to peddle that crap they are calling Star Trek. Disney and CBS have lost touch with reality and are living in a SJW world.

i blame disney.. this is probably one of the most bonehead moves they've made and it's not going to save their streaming service.

It sounds like both parties are at "fault" here. Its hard to blame either one though as they were both coming from smart positions for their own companies. Netflix wanted shorter seasons with higher per-episode budgets. Disney balked as they were financing the shows and it would mean spending more per-episode on their part while getting less of a return on that investment. When they couldn't agree, Netflix canceled.

Disney F-ed up Star Wars, so they will NEVER see a dime of my money. CBS is the same way. They continue to peddle that crap they are calling Star Trek. Disney and CBS have lost touch with reality and are living in a SJW world.

Hell yeah! As soon as I saw that chick with purple hair in The Last Jedi, I was like oh HAIL NAW, here comes Disney with their hardcore feminist SJW PC revisionist science fiction!!

You wont see these series continue on Disney Plus as their streaming service content's highest MMAA rating will be PG-13.

I'm not signing up for any more services, already at my max. Its stupid. You think people are going to sign up for 10 to 20 different services all charging around 10 dollars. Thats more than cable
You haven’t seen my wife and a remote control

Really sad to lose The Punisher, but it was expected. Not going to buy a Disney streaming service, I'm sure families with young children will though.

In a move that suprises absolutely nobody.
Disney is going to be releasing their own streaming service and will be making their own content for that going forward using these characters. Hopefully they do as good a job as Netflix has done. Other than 'The Defenders' the rest of the shows have all been pretty solid.

Yeah that's the funny part - I thought I'd be getting ready to transition from Netflix to Disney, but Netflix has provided a decent stream of things to.
The longer I've been using it, the more accurate the suggestions have been - in finding things I actually WANT to watch.

IMDb/Rottentomatoes/metacritic be damned, it's been getting better over time. Now who knows - if Netflix hikes the prices one more time? Yeah I may consider just relying on other means and only activating for select releases.
I still don't even have a Spotify sub or Amazon prime, so this comes to a matter of convenience and effort honestly.

You wont see these series continue on Disney Plus as their streaming service content's highest MMAA rating will be PG-13.
Yeah that's why I have little hope they will be any good even if Disney continued them, they'd be neutered so badly that the fans that would watch would end up really hating them.

Reactions: Madoc
like this
Really sad to lose The Punisher, but it was expected. Not going to buy a Disney streaming service, I'm sure families with young children will though.
You are not wrong; I have my own media server with the stuff I watch, and Netflix's kid selection is meh. We will probably move to Disney's service when it becomes available... I am part of the problem.

Netflix is downing the shows early so that the audience fades before Disney pulls them over. Kinda shitty. Kinda don't blame them at the same time.

i blame disney.. this is probably one of the most bonehead moves they've made and it's not going to save their streaming service.

Just like the Epic Store won't see my money, Disney stream won't either.

It's just the natural progression of things. Pretty soon every last content creator will have their own distribution platform, both in games, and in TV/Film.

It sucks for the end user, creating a fragmented mess of services one has to subscribe to to get the content one wants, but these fools don't give a shit. They just look at their spreadsheets and wonder why they are letting anyone else earn money on their content when they can run platforms themselves...

And thus we go, more and more fragmentation, more and more inconvenience to the user so that publishers/content owners can maximize profit.

It's almost as if they want to re-invigorate piracy.

Time after time it has been shown that few people pirate for the money. People actually WANT to pay for their content, so that the talent gets paid. People pirate because they feel they are being screwed over, inconvenienced and shat upon, and they just want to screw the content owners, especially when piracy is easier than jumping through the hoops they create to pay for it it legitimately.

Mark my words, the further down this path we go, the more piracy we get.

What consumers really want is a single platform from which to get ALL of their content. One games store, one streaming video service, not 15, and they want it without having to sacrifice not getting all the content they want and that their friends are getting, so that they feel left out.

A torrent site can provide this. None of these fragmented messes of stores can.

Multiplayer games have a built in advantage of requiring legitimate copies in order to play online, but movies, TV shows and single player games are definitely going to be pushed towards piracy if this keeps up.

Last edited:
They're not great shows.. Couldn't get past some episodes with all of them. Super hero shows are no longer a trend with the amount of them now, same with movies.People want more reality.

Chef's Table and Planet Earth are rewatched quarterly in my house. Those shows are what 4k High Def shows should be.

No I hate reality tv. It’s utter garbage.

I want better stories and acting and fewer streaming services.

Not sure he meant Reality TV as in "Survivor", "Property Brothers" and "Diners, Drive-in's and Dives". That shit is just awful, and I wish they would all just die in a fire.

"[House Hunters episode]
HUSBAND: "I sell used 8-track tapes"
WIFE: "And I hang potatoes in people's garages"
HUSBAND: Our budget is $950K
"

I'm thinking he means more realistic scripted content. Thrillers, crime drama's maybe even some sci-fi. Stuff that doesn't require too much suspense of disbelief.

More "Breaking Bad", less "The Bachelor".

Last edited:
I'm not sure why people seem to think they if they subscribe to a streaming service they need to keep it indefinitely. Subscribe for a month or two, watch the things you want to, cancel, move on to whatever service offers you something you want to watch, repeat. Its not ideal, but having everything shoved into a single service isn't ideal either. In time I imagine the "everyone and their grandmother wants to make a streaming service" trend will die down and things will consolidate into a handful of the best services but, for now, we're going to have to deal with things being incredibly fragmented.

I'm not sure why people seem to think they if they subscribe to a streaming service they need to keep it indefinitely. Subscribe for a month or two, watch the things you want to, cancel, move on to whatever service offers you something you want to watch, repeat. Its not ideal, but having everything shoved into a single service isn't ideal either. In time I imagine the "everyone and their grandmother wants to make a streaming service" trend will die down and things will consolidate into a handful of the best services but, for now, we're going to have to deal with things being incredibly fragmented.

oh hello the best comment was way at the bottom here. yes, why do you need to subscribe to 5 services at a time??? do 1 and watch everything they got then cancel and move on until they get something else.

Reactions: DocNo
like this
Hell yeah! As soon as I saw that chick with purple hair in The Last Jedi, I was like oh HAIL NAW, here comes Disney with their hardcore feminist SJW PC revisionist science fiction!!
Ironically the purple hair didn't even phase me by that point of the movie. That barely even registered on the "this is shit radar". While yes that particular trope was one of the more glaring sjw tropes in the movie, it was just so damned awful up to that point that it really didn't even matter.

Then again, being fair living in Fla for years and all old ladies seem to have blue hair these days, perhaps I've just become desensitized to old women with unusual hair colors.

I liked the first season of The Punisher, but the second one was pretty corny.

Still sad to see it go. I always laughed when the guy that plays the punisher does that stupid grunt when running. Someone needs to make a montage of that!

Disney has been infected by the presence of evil Social Justice Warriors and will kill Marvel as they are killing Star Wars with their progressive propaganda.

Disney sucks now and yes, I'm one of the few who LOVED Iron Fist and thought it was the best of the group. Though DD was pretty great too.

Back