Netflix Buys DVD.com Domain

HardOCP News

[H] News
Do you guys want to take turns guessing how much Netflix paid for DVD.com?

Netflix has bought the DVD.com domain name, but the company says it doesn’t plan on cleaving its DVD and streaming businesses into two operations, as it had tried to do last fall with its ill-fated Qwikster plan. A Netflix spokesman says the company purchased the Internet address for purely defensive reasons, and that Netflix users will continue to access discs and streamed movies from the same site.

Obviously just a protective measure for when they do attempt to split the company again, this time with a slightly better name maybe?

Weird, do domain names even really matter since most traffic goes through search engines...
Hopefully it was on clearance.

I love the DVD service! There are a lot of things, especially documentaries, that aren't available for streaming anywhere. I don't want to pay $80 to buy a set, but I add the DVD service to my Netflix sub when I hear about a documentary series I want to see.

Although some sets I will buy if I like them enough and want to see them again.

Why? I thought Netflix wanted to kill its DVD rental service eventually and concentrate entirely on streaming.

Have to say, since we went streaming only, there are a shit ton of good movies we've been missing. Redbox is a pain in the ass in comparison and those dollers + (for Blu-ray) add up fast. I miss it. :(

Also sounds odd to say it was "defensive". Buying netflixsucks.com is beign defensive, this just sounds over zealous.

How long were DVDs on the market when they finally stopped distributing VHS tapes? New technology takes some time to be adopted and it is in a company's best interest to keep the older format around until the sales represent such a small portion of their business that said format can be dropped. I still have the 2 DVDs by mail and unlimited streaming plan with Netflix. I dropped my cable TV and my membership in the local video rental store. I have not looked back. I would venture that I'm not the only one who has done the same.

As far as the domain name is concerned, it could mean that they are going to try the spinoff again in the future or that they really were concerned about someone else using the domain name to offer a similar service to what Netflix is already offering. Speculation either way doesn't really matter. Until Netflix makes a move to do something with the domain name they have purchased it is all just conjecture.

Bluray is probably trademarked.

And yet, that doesn't stop people from saying "You get that on DVD?".

I still catch myself saying, "It came out on video last week." That really doesn't mean all that much if you ask me.

Obviously just a protective measure for when they do attempt to split the company again, this time with a slightly better name maybe?

^^this +1
If (When) Netflix splits off the physical media portion of their business (which I don't believe it should do), there's really no better name than DVD.com.

+1 to hitting Submit Reply just as I wanted to take it back. :) If they offer bluray *and* DVDs then I guess DVD.com is not an appropriate name. :)

Streaming doesn't provide the same quality and/or the same content as physical media. Most Blu-Rays have hours of extra stuff (behind the scenes, commentary, etc.) that you don't get with streaming media.

Streaming doesn't provide the same quality and/or the same content as physical media. Most Blu-Rays have hours of extra stuff (behind the scenes, commentary, etc.) that you don't get with streaming media.

No, MANY Blu-Rays have hours of extra stuff, but MOST are just like MOST DVD releases are: rehashes turned out for a quick profit by rights owners. For these titles, I'll gladly take streaming versions until proper releases are made.

Back