Netflix Agrees To Pay $9M To Settle Class Action

HardOCP News

[H] News
Netflix agrees to settlement without admitting wrong doing. Check. Lawyers get paid millions. Check. Millions paid to privacy organizations. Check. Plaintiffs in the class action lawsuit stiffed. Check. :eek:

In addition, Netflix will pay $9 million into a Settlement Fund to:

• Make donations to Court-approved not-for-profit organizations, institutions, or programs.
  • Pay notice and settlement administration expenses.
  • Pay attorneys’ fees of up to 25% or $2.25 million of the Settlement Fund, plus up to $25,000 in expenses.
  • Pay a total incentive award of $30,000 to the Named Plaintiffs. Proposals from potential donation recipients will be sought, and, after consideration, recommendations will be made to the Court.

I read this in my email.......

PLEASE......

9 million dollars total.
30,000 dollars to the folks who brought the suit.
25% in legal fees??? Roughly 2.5 million for the lawyers and 30k for the actual plantiffs.

Jesus.:eek:

Last year I got a check on some ebay settlement. The check was for 27 cents and it was delivered late so I was unable to deposit it even if I wanted to.

Crime pays, at least for the lawyers it does.

Class actions suits are silly. Opt out of them so you can later sue for individual damages and further clog up court systems with pointless litigation.

When was last time anyone actually received fair compensation from a won class action suit? Kind of serious here, all you hear about is the lawyers making millions and the plaintiff getting almost nothing.

in this case they settled so that no one else could sue them. i feel like my rights have been trampled here now.

When was last time anyone actually received fair compensation from a won class action suit? Kind of serious here, all you hear about is the lawyers making millions and the plaintiff getting almost nothing.

Never. The whole idea is for the lawyers to get paid a ton with very little work, since most companies are going to settle pretty fast anyway. And since the lawyer claims to represent hundreds or even thousands of clients they get to charge these outrageous fees.

A couple of years ago I got a notice about a company whose stock I had owned. The stock tanked and of course the lawyers circled in like sharks. The settlement was for $60 or $70 million. The stockholders got to split $750,000. It cost over 10x more money to mail me the notice than I would have received in payment.

Got a notice on postcard I was due 35 cents for settlement in a class-action lawsuit over how Readers Digest (many year ago when it was decent) calculated their postage. You pay your subscription, who cares? Anyway, in the fine print, it notes there was $11 million set aside. $3 million went to attorneys and the rest administered the program. Subscriptions obviously had to be raised to meet this, and they were.

Did you know HALF of ALL the world's lawyers live in the United States? Can you imagine how much economic growth we could have without all this nonsense. Look at the above example. $11 million and all that time wasted on non productive activity. Lawyers...Shakespeare was right.

I read this in my email.......

PLEASE......

9 million dollars total.
30,000 dollars to the folks who brought the suit.
25% in legal fees??? Roughly 2.5 million for the lawyers and 30k for the actual plantiffs.

Jesus.:eek:

Exactly. Where's my 37 cents dammit !

Class action law suits are designed to benefit LAWYERS. That is all. They get the lions share of the settlement and what is left is divided up among the plaintiffs. You get a check for $1.45 if you are a plaintiff.

I'm in a situation where the engine in our vehicle had a catastrophic failure for NO reason whatsoever. We found out this is a common problem. (this vehicle retailed for $40k)
Chrysler won't do anything about and everyone is screaming class action lawsuit.
I keep telling them, NO,NO,NO because the LAWYERS will get the settlement; not us.

In this case all we can do is to put pressure on the NHTSA since this is a known issue that Chrysler is refusing to address.

Seriously, between the throat crushing red tape that congress' boot puts on the neck of the american people and the tsunami of frivolous, non-sensical litigation of all kinds, this country is collapsing under it's own weight of corruption.

iPhone 4 users were entitled to either a free case or $15 from the Antennagate class action. That wasn't too bad.

I received like $120 from a class-action settlement a few months back. Some advertising company got sued or something.

Class action law suits are designed to benefit LAWYERS. That is all. They get the lions share of the settlement and what is left is divided up among the plaintiffs. You get a check for $1.45 if you are a plaintiff.

I'm in a situation where the engine in our vehicle had a catastrophic failure for NO reason whatsoever. We found out this is a common problem. (this vehicle retailed for $40k)
Chrysler won't do anything about and everyone is screaming class action lawsuit.
I keep telling them, NO,NO,NO because the LAWYERS will get the settlement; not us.

In this case all we can do is to put pressure on the NHTSA since this is a known issue that Chrysler is refusing to address.

Lemme guess, something with a 2.7L V-6? I feel your pain buddy.

No actually the 5.7L hemi.
It has a hole in the side of the block I can stick my fist in. #6 rod broke in half while my wife was driving home at 50 mph.

I have no idea what this means, but I did read the words "fist" and "hole" and there's something about your rod being broken while your wife was using it.

I have no idea what this means, but I did read the words "fist" and "hole" and there's something about your rod being broken while your wife was using it.

Wow, talking automotive engine stuff and all you read is sexual connotations. Is this your admission to being gay?

We are all friends here. You can tell us......................... :D

LOL!!!! Just kidding........

Considering the demographics of the people I work with, I'm pretty sure my weekends would be more interesting if I went after my own gender.

But anyway, yeah...9 million for Netflix people! I wonder if I'll get any money since I sometimes subscribe. The least they could do is send cupcakes.

Considering the demographics of the people I work with, I'm pretty sure my weekends would be more interesting if I went after my own gender.

But anyway, yeah...9 million for Netflix people! I wonder if I'll get any money since I sometimes subscribe. The least they could do is send cupcakes.

With somewhere around 25-30 million subscribers, this will be a whopper of a check. I got the email a few days ago I know I'm going to get a check in the mail for 3 cents or something equally useless.

I am with others, I have learned one thing for sure, never sign on to a class action law suit. Nothing I remember a creative lawsuit where I was offered a discount at their over priced store. What a deal

peons never win.

the money always goes to either the company or the lawyers. Pick your poison.

With somewhere around 25-30 million subscribers, this will be a whopper of a check. I got the email a few days ago I know I'm going to get a check in the mail for 3 cents or something equally useless.

Hey, that's three pennies you didn't have earlier. :)

We need class action suit reform. Lawyers need to get a much smaller cut, say no more than 10% (in this case $90K vs $2.25M). They'd still make out like bandits, but maybe then the plaintiffs just might get a reasonable amount of the settlement.

What if you brought a class action lawsuit against all the lawyer firms for stealing money during class action lawsuits?

Everyone in the US would get $3 at least... Id get enough to distribute every CD ever made... on piratebay...and lose the trial.

I'm not sure what all the money talk is about.... I found this little tid bit on the settlement page faq from the email

How much will I receive?

ANSWER:
The settlement fund will be used to make donations to not-for-profit organizations. Class members will not receive payments.

I believe another page on the site said it was going to the Human Fund

Back