Netflix Agree to Delaying Delivery of DVDs

why did they not ask the customers which they preferred more before the move. Now this gives fuel for other companies to ask for 2-3 or months of a delay for the rental. Netflix had more muscle before it did this, now the movie companies know it may concede to more of their wishes. I don't have time to run to the store and make sure i watch the fucking dvd that night or in two days or pay a late fee. thats why i use netflix and once in a blue moon would i have to wait for a new release, many times it would say long wait and i would still receive it. For the people wondering if they throttle the streaming to heavy usage, i don't know but it would not surprise me at all, since they throttle people who send the movies back very quickly. Ive never felt throttled, but they admitted to it awhile back. More streaming movies is good, but longer waits is bad. Now they should improve the streaming service before making a deal like this. The quality sometimes is good, and sometimes is bad, but many times i either cannot watch the movie i want to cause its not available at that time, or the signal drops a lot and constant buffering. Depending on the route netflix takes now, it might have signed its own death warrant in a way.

why did they not ask the customers which they preferred more before the move.

Its a business decision. I am sure WB was pulling this strings in this one and not NetFlix deciding that a 28 day delay would be a great thing for customers.

I was hearing that Redbox wasn't opposed to such restrictions if they could use it as a bargaining chip for lower prices (not for us of course).

I agree that it seems the entire market for Redbox is people wanting to see new releases cheaply. So if they did cut a deal for lower prices, who the hell is standing in line to rent their dvd's?

Damn, if RB does succumb to WB's wishes to hold off on new DVDs, I'll be upset, but I'll still rent from them. But if they jack it up to $2 like they have in other parts of the country, then I may no longer use them (outside of the free monthly rentals). Maybe I'll go back to BB's online service. :confused:

I guess instead of renting the new releases I want to see, I'll just hit up usenet instead. Great way to stop piracy... idiots.

I guess instead of renting the new releases I want to see, I'll just hit up usenet instead. Great way to stop piracy... idiots.

Yes because streaming them is just so inefficient.

Honestly this is a great move and is going to keep me using netflix. I hate the fact tehy have no decent new releases for online streaming. Netflix just pretty much gets used for watching b rated movies and old kung fu flicks.

This kicks their service up several notches and puts them farther ahead of any other legal delivery service out there. That is of course if I'm reading this right and everyone else is just doing a chicken little since they either misread or misunderstood the article since I read it as they are delaying dvd delivery in favor of getting it online for immediate streaming.

No one in their right mind will purchase a movie for $20 instead of renting it for $1-4. If I don't have a choice to rent it (As in all renters succumb to this bullshit) - Then it is simply not worth my time. Who buys a movie they haven't seen? OH YEAH AWESOME PREVIEWS TOTALLY BUYING THAT BRO!

umm.. did they say that the new releases are going to be available for streaming, just not rental? no, they won't be available for 28 days PERIOD.

...and on the topic of netflix streaming, the quality on my 47" LCD (you can just forget the 106" projector screen) isn't even up to the par of my SD satellite channels, let alone the blu-ray's which I rent.

Yes because streaming them is just so inefficient.

Honestly this is a great move and is going to keep me using netflix. I hate the fact tehy have no decent new releases for online streaming. Netflix just pretty much gets used for watching b rated movies and old kung fu flicks.

This kicks their service up several notches and puts them farther ahead of any other legal delivery service out there. That is of course if I'm reading this right and everyone else is just doing a chicken little since they either misread or misunderstood the article since I read it as they are delaying dvd delivery in favor of getting it online for immediate streaming.

For all the people complaining and moaning that this is Netflix's fault, please cry me a river. Anyone who thinks Netflix wanted this to happen is clinically insane. Movie studios loathe Netflix and other inexpensive movie rental systems (redbox). This did not just happen over night and has been on the table for months now. I am fairly positive Netflix was in some sort of litigation and determined the current deal is more fruitful. Plus it is only 28 days....I think most subscribers have more than 1 movie on their list.....

How is Blockbusters offering vs Netflix? I could be persuaded to change if the price and service is right.

To be honest, ive only actually rented one dvd from netflix. We have been streaming a ton of shows tho. For $8 a month, its worth it to me.

Been a Netflix customer for years, they probably love me since I sometimes take forever to send a movie back. I add new stuff to my queue, but don't throw it to the top. I still think this is a mistake - it seems easier to just hand a chunk of profit to Redbox (assuming RB keep their current system..without which they would serve no purpose). What guarantee from WB is there that the "new releases" aren't direct-to-DVD garbage films anyway?

NF's "Chief Content Officer" sounds like he was paid off. "If this causes more of our subscribers to drive down to a store to buy a DVD, we think that will be good for the entertainment ecosystem," said Ted Sarandos, Netflix's chief content officer. How is that good for them in any way? And do they really think people just rent movies instead of buying them because it's cheaper? I rent a movie I haven't seen, because I don't know if I will like it.

"He downplayed the threat of a backlash among subscribers, reasoning that Netflix's library of more than 100,000 DVD titles will give them plenty of other options to tide them over while they wait an extra four weeks."

i.e. Suck it, customers. Watch one of these random B-movie sci fis instead of a new release!

For all the people complaining and moaning that this is Netflix's fault, please cry me a river.QUOTE]

:LOL: You didn't read too much of this thread or the article did you? They may not have directly wanted this - but they sure as hell didn't mind - given that WB reduced their prices to Netflix, none of which that will be reflected to the customer. But nice try :rolleyes:

For all the people complaining and moaning that this is Netflix's fault, please cry me a river.QUOTE]

:LOL: You didn't read too much of this thread or the article did you? They may not have directly wanted this - but they sure as hell didn't mind - given that WB reduced their prices to Netflix, none of which that will be reflected to the customer. But nice try :rolleyes:

Read it fully internet warrior. Let me use some smilies too because I am so l33t.:rolleyes::eek::eek::(:confused::rolleyes::D

....but nice try.

Hmmm...shitty quality streams that get throttled if I watch "too much," or an extra month's wait on top of however long I already have to wait for a physical DVD in the mail...

Yeah, gonna pass on this.

Another example of the media industry destroying their own momentum. One step forward, two steps back for digital content delivery in the US.

I'm surprised so many people are interested in streaming movies with low quality, compressed video.
I'd much rather wait a couple days for the blu-ray to show up. Last time I checked, Netflix had very few titles available anyway, with even fewer available in HD.
And the one I tried in HD looked worse than a DVD.

Color me apathetic. I have yet to watch a new release movie through netflix. Hell, in my 200 movie queue I bet I don't have a single new release. 95% of my netflix usage is instant anyway.

For all the people complaining and moaning that this is Netflix's fault, please cry me a river. Anyone who thinks Netflix wanted this to happen is clinically insane. Movie studios loathe Netflix and other inexpensive movie rental systems (redbox). This did not just happen over night and has been on the table for months now. I am fairly positive Netflix was in some sort of litigation and determined the current deal is more fruitful. Plus it is only 28 days....I think most subscribers have more than 1 movie on their list.....

Netflix may not have sought it out, but given the right incentive they sure did jump, didn't they? Please feel free to provide references to validate your "fairly positive" feeling regarding the mindset of their internal general counsel. You are likely thinking of Coinstar (owner of Redbox) as far as litigation.

Or I have a better idea - why don't you point out to me in their Q3 10Q here where they disclose such significant litigation? They sure seem to disclose a lot more pissy stuff, so I'm guessing your "fairly positive" is dead wrong. Feel free to try any of their other 10Q's or last years 10K, here

And perhaps, since you are obviously more knowledgeable regarding the intended or appropriate business direction of Netflix than they themselves, or even the investing public, would you care to speculate why the stock price bumped 3.5% on the news?

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, don't get me wrong. Just sometimes helps to season some of the fairytale with fact.

Read it fully internet warrior. Let me use some smilies too because I am so l33t.:rolleyes::eek::eek::(:confused::rolleyes::D

....but nice try.

Netflix may not have sought it out, but given the right incentive they sure did jump, didn't they? Please feel free to provide references to validate your "fairly positive" feeling regarding the mindset of their internal general counsel. You are likely thinking of Coinstar (owner of Redbox) as far as litigation.

Or I have a better idea - why don't you point out to me in their Q3 10Q here where they disclose such significant litigation? They sure seem to disclose a lot more pissy stuff, so I'm guessing your "fairly positive" is dead wrong. Feel free to try any of their other 10Q's or last years 10K, here

And perhaps, since you are obviously more knowledgeable regarding the intended or appropriate business direction of Netflix than they themselves, or even the investing public, would you care to speculate why the stock price bumped 3.5% on the news?

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, don't get me wrong. Just sometimes helps to season some of the fairytale with fact.

:cool::p:D

umm.. did they say that the new releases are going to be available for streaming, just not rental? no, they won't be available for 28 days PERIOD.

rereading the article I stand corrected. This does suck and I can see where movie studios would be concerned; however, with that said, movie studios need to stop releasing shit for films and make some worthy of buying.

So let me get this straight, the MPAA cabal won't be happy with selling huge numbers of DVDs to Netflix and other video stores of new releases, at release, because they want us to not be able to rent the movie and thus instead shell out 20-50 to BUY it, hoping we can't wait? I was thinking of giving Netflix a trial, especially for my parents who don't like the complexity of getting a Blu-Ray rip to work on a regular off the shelf DVD player etc.. Why the hell would I even have a subscription to something like Netflix, if I didn't want the newest titles, and want to save money versus purchasing or renting over Cable pay-per-view?

The unabashed greed of these production companies. It is no wonder so many turn to piracy. I can guarantee that a full quality Blu-Ray 1080p or DVD rip, will be available on release day! Boycott Netflix and send them a letter if you have a current subscription, stating your distaste with them caving to these unethical, slovenly, bloated behemoths in the movie industry.

You guys must have PoS 'net connections. I'm watching on 3mbps and (provided nobody else is online) I usually get 4 bars + HD (when avalible) and on my 42" LCD it's amazing, hellova lot better than SD. Now, yes, I get some now and then that are bad, usually from server crowding (watch it later and its fine) or somone else using the 'net here at home, but I can tollerate that.

I have a DVD sitting in my DVD player from netflix that I got... damn... 4 months ago? and before that I held the previous one at LEAST 2 months, likely 3-4... I use it almost exclusivly for streaming. I really wish they'd offer a $4.99 deal that is PURE streaming. I'd switch in an instant. Especially since I can start a series on my PC, then go into the living room and watch the next part on my 360, and that night go finish it on my PS3 in the bedroom. No worries about where the disk(s) is(are) and no losing them or getting them out of order (usually... some of their catalogue isnt exactly in order, but msot of the time it's shows that it doesnt matter if you watch them in order)

Only old stuff? I just watched the 4th season of LOST in HD a few months ago! I've seen plenty of movies/series from the last few years on there. Maybe I happen to like a very different genre than those of you having trouble, but they do have plenty of recent movies on there if you look.

To be honest, I dont even watch most "new releases" untill they around a year old. partly because the hype makes me sick of them. there have only been like 3-5 movies in the last decade I've been dieing to see ASAP (and by "dieing to see" I mean "I'd love to see them as soon as the price is lower") and only 1 movie I've wanted to see in theatres (Avatar 3D - though personally the hype is warding me off)

I side with those who think netflix made the RIGHT choice because this will expand their streaming offerings and that this will ENCOURAGE piracy.

I will agree that this is going to lose them a lot of customers, this thread is proof that a lot of people want the movies the day they're released on DVD/BD. However, I think in the end the profit will outweigh the loss.

...on a side note, I dont have the BD deal and knowing redbox is getting ready to rent BDs for $1/day, I likely wont upgrade my netflix untill its the same price as DVDs...

Reading the entire 1st page of posts it's like no one bothers to read the articles anymore. Admittedly I don't care, but I appreciate that users will at least get the benefit of a wider selection of rentals out of the deal. I watched an interview with Kevin smith where he bluntly stated he could give a crap how well his movies do in theaters because DVD sales are where the studios get their money and that's essentially where his movies do best. I think Clerks was the one that didn't get any theater revenue but made tons of money on DVD which then prompted the studios to get keep giving him money so there is legitimacy to their claims. Honestly I'm too busy to watch most movies the minute they are released and if I need to see a movie that badly I go see it in theaters.

. . .. That is of course if I'm reading this right and everyone else is just doing a chicken little since they either misread or misunderstood the article since I read it as they are delaying dvd delivery in favor of getting it online for immediate streaming.

You misunderstood, it happens:

"Warner Bros. already has agreed to contribute hundreds of additional movies to that service — triple the current catalog. They will include many titles that have only been out on DVD for three to eight months."

....but nice try.

Just to close the loop, this is directly from the article:

Warner Bros. and other movie studios already tried to prevent Coinstar Inc.'s Redbox from renting DVDs during the first 28 days of their release. Coinstar, though, has gotten around the restrictions by buying the DVDs through other channels, prompting a legal battle that's winding its way through the courts.

Just to close the loop, this is directly from the article:

Warner Bros. and other movie studios already tried to prevent Coinstar Inc.'s Redbox from renting DVDs during the first 28 days of their release. Coinstar, though, has gotten around the restrictions by buying the DVDs through other channels, prompting a legal battle that's winding its way through the courts.

lol internet warrior

I love people like you. Must be fun having a life.

I love people like you. Must be fun having a life.

No worries, I'm a CPA. I slice through Q's and K's like buttah. Plenty of time for life afterward.

Seriously though, it's like a 30 second exercise to skim to their C&C footnote and see the half dozen cases they have there.

I wonder if TWC customers get the dloaded GB discounted or not? Most price plans for internet are set up to make you pay more once you go over your limit. They will get their money somehow. Theirs a convergence coming, and I wonder what the big ISP's plan to do.

I wonder if TWC customers get the dloaded GB discounted or not? Most price plans for internet are set up to make you pay more once you go over your limit. They will get their money somehow. Theirs a convergence coming, and I wonder what the big ISP's plan to do.

This is a good point, in general. I'm of the opinion that cable companies don't really care what the cap is so long as they can get one in place. Then users have a ceiling they can't transgress and it makes significant future delivery of full HD virtually impossible under the cap (maybe not the compressed stuff we see now, but what could be around the corner). Then you're locked into using the cable company for your HD needs.

So far I'm lucky that U-verse has no caps. I've hit over a 1 TB (just down on one computer) in a month with no complaints (so far).

I read an article somewhere that all of the movie studios are planning on making movies available for purchase one month before they're available for rent in an effort to boost sales. This is not only going to affect Netflix, but all digital delivery and brick and mortar stores.

No worries, I'm a CPA. I slice through Q's and K's like buttah. Plenty of time for life afterward.

Seriously though, it's like a 30 second exercise to skim to their C&C footnote and see the half dozen cases they have there.

Ok you are a CPA, congrats? You still miss the original point that Netflix has been in talks with WB for this deal for at least a couple months if not more. In fact, Netflix most likely came to them for the discount. Just because it was not in the notes does not mean squat. CPA <> equity analyst........

The relevance of a CPA is due to the obvious fact that our name goes in the front of all those reports. You guys just come behind and read them.

I didn't miss anything. I can't imagine where you get the idea I didn't know the talks had been going on. I thought you were the one who "read it fully". Reading comprehension issues, maybe?

Directly from the article, AGAIN:

"Warner Bros. began to publicly pressure Netflix to agree to a rental delay five months ago."

So as we see, your "most likely" is dead wrong again. Netflix didn't go to them for discounts. Warner came to them wanting the new release delay. Netlfix got a discount as a consequence. How many more times are we going to do this?

In case you are wondering here are two more articles detailing how Warner was pressuring Netlfix to engage in talks to delay availability of new releases. Not Netflix going to them. You're completely contradicting yourself now - earlier Netlfix had to be "clinically insane" to want this. Now you have them going to Warner first for a discount? Dude, your a schizo.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/studios-pressure-netflix-as-valuation-remains-high-2009-08-19

http://www.nasdaq.com/aspx/company-news-story.aspx?storyid=200908190659dowjonesdjonline000343

So I guess equity investors can't read for shit?

Lol, yes I realize I referred to you as an equity investor, when you said equity analyst. . . .

I also realize that there may be a tiny part of me that may admit I am being somewhat of an ass.

But it's tiny, and overruled by the rest of me :) Self-deception can be a bitch like that, heh.

The relevance of a CPA is due to the obvious fact that our name goes in the front of all those reports. You guys just come behind and read them.

I didn't miss anything. I can't imagine where you get the idea I didn't know the talks had been going on. I thought you were the one who "read it fully". Reading comprehension issues, maybe?

Directly from the article, AGAIN:

"Warner Bros. began to publicly pressure Netflix to agree to a rental delay five months ago."

So as we see, your "most likely" is dead wrong again. Netflix didn't go to them for discounts. Warner came to them wanting the new release delay. Netlfix got a discount as a consequence. How many more times are we going to do this?

In case you are wondering here are two more articles detailing how Warner was pressuring Netlfix to engage in talks to delay availability of new releases. Not Netflix going to them. You're completely contradicting yourself now - earlier Netlfix had to be "clinically insane" to want this. Now you have them going to Warner first for a discount? Dude, your a schizo.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/studios-pressure-netflix-as-valuation-remains-high-2009-08-19

http://www.nasdaq.com/aspx/company-news-story.aspx?storyid=200908190659dowjonesdjonline000343

So I guess equity investors can't read for shit?

Wow, all that for what? You are still missing the point but I do not expect much more from a CPA. Let me clarify my earlier statement, CPA <> CFA.

Lol, yes I realize I referred to you as an equity investor, when you said equity analyst. . . .

I also realize that there may be a tiny part of me that may admit I am being somewhat of an ass.

But it's tiny, and overruled by the rest of me :) Self-deception can be a bitch like that, heh.

The fact that you wrote that shows how sorry of a human you are. Internet Warrior FTW! :D

Back