Net Neutrality Quote of the Day

HardOCP News

[H] News
The quote of the day is brought to you by the FCC Commissioner Michael Copps. Let’s just hope this guy means what he is saying and not just blowing smoke.

I suppose you can’t blame companies for seeking to protect their own interests. But you can blame policy-makers if we let them get away with it. Deal-making between big Internet players is not policy-making for the common good. Special interests are not the public interest. Stockholders are not the only stakeholders. I will not settle—you should not settle—for gatekeepers of the Internet striking deals that exchange Internet freedom—yours and mine—for bloated profits on their quarterly reports to Wall Street.

This is the first bit of sunshine I've seen shine towards net neutrality in a loooong while. Makes for a very refreshing Monday morning.

Leave the internet how it is.... why is this even a topic any more?

Nobody (the "people" anyways) want the internet to change.... not a single damn person.

The only people who want to do this are the rich, huge, asshole, uncaring companies that want to control the internet markets and flow of cash through it (so they make more)

Annoying..... in the end though, I bet some big company is going to pay someone off to screw over what's good for the common good of the internet and its people (the damn dirty, money hungry politicians seem to be growing in numbers like a weed)

Nobody (the "people" anyways) want the internet to change.... not a single damn person.

The only people who want to do this are the rich, huge, asshole, uncaring companies that want to control the internet markets and flow of cash through it (so they make more)

Annoying..... in the end though, I bet some big company is going to pay someone off to screw over what's good for the common good of the internet and its people (the damn dirty, money hungry politicians seem to be growing in numbers like a weed)

QFT. It's we the people, not We the special interest groups...

That guy's quote is dripping with class warfare rhetoric. EVIL PROFITS!!!!!

Ahh his bark is worst then his bite. I think the FCC should be more centralized so when the shit hits the fan everyone knows where to go to. Their are so many other areas of government that can make policy decisions, so the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing. The FCC needs to be brought out of the stone age when it only regulated radio, and TV mostly and given some powers so corporations can't keep running to the courts challenging their displeasure at the FCC, when things don't go their way when it might affect their bottom line and instead of the consumers.

Well, Washington wants to control the internet, to make it more "fair". Protecting us little people from big internet providers is one way they can get us to hand them the power to do so.

Remember, DHS started out as a communications branch between the FBI and CIA to protect us... and now we are getting x-rayed and groped at the airport.

How far off is it that you are doing too much gaming online, and not enough exercise, which will effect the government run healthcare if you dont get outside? Well we at government house can detect and curtail that, because your life decisions are better left to us.

Most techies only see big evil Verizon and Amazon... and not Big Evil Controlling government over the hill. Tehy dont seem to understand that this has ramifications further than 4 years.

Let the ISP's charge whatever tehy want. If you can do it better for a better price, then good. I would rather give my money to [H]ardISP that doesnt throttle bandwidth.

As long as even one competing business is involved there is no such thing as net neutrality. To think otherwise is naive.

A lot of nonsense going on in government. Why is GovCO bartering and bargaining? Oh, I forgot, this is the new and improved government 2.0. Change is here. Forget Wall Street, the doors for business in Washington is open. Right now Washington is a much better place to make profits.

Firstly more people need to be educated that this battle is even happening, then the voters will take more of a stand

Firstly more people need to be educated that this battle is even happening, then the voters will take more of a stand

By the time voters organize to take a stand on things like wheat suppliers and Internet access they are usually too late to be directly effective as a voter in setting policy.

This situation is only going to get worse. With the ever increasing use of Online TV/Movie streaming (on-demand), that allows consumers to view the programs they choose is putting a pinch on the bloated TV packages that cost far more than they are worth.

If Comcast had their way Netflix,GoogleTV,AppleTV,Hulu and other services would be either blocked or throttled down to hinder this nations ability to view content that we want at an affordable price.

I for 1 do not have cable tv or sat tv due to 1 reason. The price! I don't want 30 channels made up of shopping, music, or all day re-run's. I want a choice for a fair price. This is what the nation is coming to find with online content. Be it that some people turn to copyright infringement with torrents, ect.

More than ever we need the FCC to protect our right to a neutral net. Which means if Comcast or any ISP increases our prices or throttles our speed due to the content we use, we need a voice that back's up the majority of walking talking citizens and not the lobbyists or special interest groups.

I think we are a ways off from this. I hate to say it but getting true neutrality is like getting concealed carry in illinois. It may happen but were not going to like the fine print.

I cannot stand the lack of common sense. The FCC is probably the only lawful regulatory body that could regulate this. Both sides have valid arguments, why it always devolves into republicans and democrats is fucking ridiculous. The vast majority of conservative republicans, while not all, would absolutely shit themselves if the FCC couldn't regulate bad words, violence, and nudity. I've even heard arguments for doing it to pay-for premium services like Sirius XM, which is ridiculous. Have your cake and eat it too. Democrats are just as bad in other ways. It should be possible for the FCC to regulate a ruleset without continually power grabbing as the republicans say they will, and they're right, they will. However, sometimes the better good IS served by the only body that can do it, and the internet being turned into a QoS nightmare where it is nearly impossible for something youtube to get started by two college guys because it uses too much bandwidth is horse shit. I pay for netflix, and I don't pass my monthly bandwidth allotment, those are the borders in which we play. Now that netflix threatens THEIR business model they want to charge netflix for "priority" services or else their content won't stream correctly anymore. Obviously that isn't right, but what to do about it?

I think we are a ways off from this. I hate to say it but getting true neutrality is like getting concealed carry in illinois. It may happen but were not going to like the fine print.

Yeah, unfortunately true. Whatever net neutrality bill comes out of government won't be the net neutrality that advocates fantasize over. There will always be unforeseen consequences.

More education is what is needed, hell I am still not sure if I am supposed to be for or against net neutrality.

I believe that this is a last gasp of comcast and others at selling their overpriced cable packages. I am already exploring this myself and with the expansion of ESPN3 I believe I am getting close to being able to drop it. I think we are getting to a point were a network such as Disney will just deliver their contain via their content via their website or through interfaces such as Hulu and what not. You saw the fear when hulu+ was released, it only has free over the air shows, nothing from the premium channels. Soon that is going to change.

I am a firm believer that comcast or whomever can charge for how much bandwidth you use but should not be able to block or throttle back ANYTHING. They provide access to the internet, not the internet itself.

Could somebody educate me more on this?

Well, Washington wants to control the internet, to make it more "fair". Protecting us little people from big internet providers is one way they can get us to hand them the power to do so.

Remember, DHS started out as a communications branch between the FBI and CIA to protect us... and now we are getting x-rayed and groped at the airport.

How far off is it that you are doing too much gaming online, and not enough exercise, which will effect the government run healthcare if you dont get outside? Well we at government house can detect and curtail that, because your life decisions are better left to us.

Most techies only see big evil Verizon and Amazon... and not Big Evil Controlling government over the hill. Tehy dont seem to understand that this has ramifications further than 4 years.

Let the ISP's charge whatever tehy want. If you can do it better for a better price, then good. I would rather give my money to [H]ardISP that doesnt throttle bandwidth.

Remove tinfoil hat...

The ISPs are not a completely private business. As long as ISPs take handouts from the government, they need to play by the rules. Remember, everytime Comcast or Verizon run new lines through your town, you are paying for a good amount of that construction. Also, the principles of net neutrality apply to telephones already. I don't see the government interrupting my phone conversations to tell me I need to do something. Spreading FUD like that drabble posted above doesn't accomplish anyting.

You must be a Glen Beck fan. I just threw up in my mouth a bit.

FTQ:Special interests are not the public interest

Yeah, that's why special interests dictate almost all of the government policy decisions. Don't piss on my leg and tell me it's raining.

Regulation, deregulation, it doesn't matter: Special interests are playing both sides. Every heartbeat of a politician was paid for by someone, for someone.

Net neutrality doesn't change the way the internet is right now - in makes what we have right now be required. Aka, it prevents people from changing things. It is a preemptive measure at the moment.

You must be a Glen Beck fan. I just threw up in my mouth a bit.

Where did I reference that guy? And I also missed where you were able to argue my point with facts.

Sorry, history repeats itself again and again, I may not be the brightest bulb on the tree, but I can see patterns.

Net neutrality doesn't change the way the internet is right now - in makes what we have right now be required. Aka, it prevents people from changing things. It is a preemptive measure at the moment.

Only the people who are pushing for it on the policy side are going for it so tehy can have control. In their own words, they want to use it to shut down what they dont want to see on the net.

You keep going on thinking it is all about big bad Comcast wanting you to pay more and super hero FCC coming in to save you.

Back