.net image resizing

mkrohn

2[H]4U
I'm bulk removing about 300Gb of attachments that a previous developer was storing in a SQL DB. I'm moving them all to the file system and have started finding the image sizes are frequently far larger than they should be. ANybody have a suggestion for which library to use for shrinking the resolution of jpgs and converting bmps to jpg? I just decided to do this but probably wont get a chance to do some testing for a couple days.

We have a few public relations personnel who photograph the awards ceremonies and other events at my job. They are of the opinion that you absolutely must have 25 megapixel pictures of everything in uncompressed jpg format, but they aren't the ones paying for the NAS.

So, I run a powershell script monthly that looks for jpgs over a certain size on our shared drives and uses irfanview to resize them and save them over the original file to reduce our space used. I dunno if this would help, but here ya go:

Code:
$strDRV = Read-Host "Enter Drive or Path: (Ex. C:\ or \\FileShareServer\site\share\"
$strSize = Read-Host "Convert JPGs over this size: (Ex. 500KB or 2Mb)"
Set-Location "$strDRV"
$pics=(Get-ChildItem -rec | where {$_.Extension -eq ".jpg" -and $_.Length -gt $strSize}).fullname
  ForEach ($pic in $pics)
  {

c:\IV436\i_view32.exe $pic /jpgq=70 /convert=$pic
# Write-Host $pic
  }

Back