NES/SNES roms + 867mhz PB = sloooooow

mpeg4v3

Gawd
I've been trying to play a lot of games recently and most SNES roms are horribly slow. NES roms run much better, but still have a lot of slowdown moments. I'm using SNES9X Custom and RockNES. On PC I can run all of these roms fine on a Celeron 600 without any issues. Does anyone know why they'd run so horrible on the PB? I keep most roms running at about 1/4 of the screen size and even then they slow down.

I know exactly what you mean. I just think that emulators for Apple in general are not coded properly or something. Is weird how low end PC can run these emulators faster than something that is worth 10x more (Powerbook).

x86 is much more common, so the people that are coding the emulators are used to x86 assembly, not PPC.

Ahhhh, ok. Well, have you guys experienced any emulators that run games really well?

I cant really give any advice on playing them on apple but for awhile i played snes games on a 90hz pentium laptop and can tell you what i can. Make sure that all the effects are turned off and use the least detailed rendering engine, shrink the window very small so that you cant see the crummy pixelation. then play. There are often many options to improve performance in hte menus you just have to find them

IIRC, the PPC-platform is way better at emulation than the x86... But anyway, I've never had any problems running (S)NES ROMs on my 400MHz G3. Only the ones with special chips run slowly (StarFox and the like). What emulator are you using, mpeg4v3?

Originally posted by Black Morty Rackham
IIRC, the PPC-platform is way better at emulation than the x86... But anyway, I've never had any problems running (S)NES ROMs on my 400MHz G3. Only the ones with special chips run slowly (StarFox and the like). What emulator are you using, mpeg4v3?
Originally posted by mpeg4v3
I'm using SNES9X Custom and RockNES.

In SNES9X Custom, the only thing I have checked is Show Frame Rate and set Video Mode to Direct, Small. I haven't had time to try a lot of games, but I know that Kirby's Dreamland runs reallllly bad with more than, say, two enemies on the screen. I'm not sure why it runs so slow. OpenGL doesn't run much better either. What settings do you guys recommend?

Yes. Right now I have it running at the slowest and smallest resoultion possible and it still has slow downs. I don't get it.
I just got a 512mb stick of ram in today to upgrade this laptop to 640mb, maybe somehow that might improve the speed (even though I don't see how it should).

I was running it on 256mb beforehand. That's what the laptop came with refurbished. I just recently had the money to upgrade the ram as one slot is soldered on.

I've tried both RockNES and Nestopia on my Powerbook G4, and it seems to suffer from jerkiness and lag no matter what I try. The up-to-one-second audio lag is especially irritating.

What to do?

Well MacMame runs extremely smoothly on my eMac. It's for old arcade games though, not NES/SNES games. Great emulator.

I run snes9x perfectly on my iBook G3 900 12". With the OpenGL output filter. Are you using any filters? What version ru using?

Back