NES CLASSIC (JAPANESE version) 92$ Amazon

raspberry pi + emulator is probably better..

To bad it has no real life value. But ya it is.

Also the JPN one comes with different games then the US one. Also this is 30$ overpriced.. So ya... no one should be buying this.

MSRP of this is the same as the NES classic ($59) so this is actually a bad deal.

the msrp is 60$ but its out of stock EVERYWHERE that sells it at MSRP, do you not watch the news? and it has been for 7 months.... latest reports are you *MIGHT* be able to get one in stock at stores for 60$ come January.... if you all want to wait that long. Currently resellers are selling the US version for 170$ on CL ebay and amazon... soo yes... 92$ is a good deal... if you are looking to nab one prior to 2018! and key words was hackable and moddable.... yea different games to start with but hell mine is running a 700 games and it takes 5 mins to make it run NEO GEO! lol yea raspberry pie can do it too but how much work do you want to put into it ? this is plug and play! plug it in, run hakchi, boom!

The Japanese have 2 massive shortcomings compared to the US version:

1. The Controllers are not detachable, and thus, irreplaceable

2. The controllers are, in essence, miniaturised like the main body itself, the US version have full sized controllers.

and like I said.... its better than nothing! get it while you can!.......... i agree about the controller part that kinda stinks.... there are a few mods out there to addthe US controllers

and like I said.... its better than nothing! get it while you can!.......... i agree about the controller part that kinda stinks.... there are a few mods out there to addthe US controllers
If you are going to mod, at that stage, what I would simply do is to buy the Famicom classic, keep it in its packaging and build a retropie setup using one of the Famicom clone controllers (like iBuffalo) or use an original NES controller with USB converter if you want the control pad feel to be absolutely perfect. The Famicom classic purchase serves only as proof that you have bought the license to use the 30 games included in the machine.

The Classic's form factor actually meant that I would much rather buy a second hand Famicom, use AV2HDMI converter and hook it up to the TV, and buy the games individually, or import the NES Classic, that's how badly I think it's implemented.

I have both versions (bought the JP one when I was there last year, the US one when Best Buy had them in stock for 30 seconds).

Like chenw mentioned, the controllers are shrunk too as they slide into the body.

So they are really actually pretty uncomfortable to use after 15 minutes unless you have tiny hands.

Other than that, it's neat. A lot of the games when released were actually released on the Famicom Disk System and not the Famicom, so the emulator completely emulates the boot-up screen of the FDS, then the loading and everything. Seems like they went as authentic as they can with the look and feel of how the games played.

I think it's absolutely fucking stupid that Nintendo can't produce enough of these things, since it is so ridiculously basic inside, and then the even stupider fact of them discontinuing something this high in demand.

Pi3b:
https://www.amazon.com/Raspberry-Model-A1-2GHz-64-bit-quad-core/dp/B01CD5VC92/
NES Pi3b case:
https://www.amazon.com/Old-Skool-NES-case-Raspberry/dp/B01M4OOY4U/
Official case ($12 cheaper than the NES one, if you don't care so much about looks)
https://www.amazon.com/Official-Raspberry-Pi-Case-Black/dp/B01F1PSFY6/

RetroPi download:
https://retropie.org.uk/download/

For all the touting of these as "hackable" and/or "modable", they're much less of both than a Pi. And the only "mod" the Pi requires to be an emulation station (and a better one than the NES Classic), is loading an image onto an SD card.

Plus, with a Pi, you can pick whatever controller you like to use. Mario 3 is much more comfortable to me when using an Xbox 360 controller.

While this is technically less expensive than buying through a scalper, I just don't see it as any kind of actual "deal", when you can get a more versatile equivalent for less money.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
raspberry pi + emulator is probably better..

Unless you are collector, but if you are this would probably never come out of the box anyway and you would still end up getting the pi, more games as well and cheaper. They were stupid as hell to discontinue it however, yes, lets stop selling a product that has so much demand it's never in stock anywhere unless it's 2x over msrp.

Unless you are collector, but if you are this would probably never come out of the box anyway and you would still end up getting the pi, more games as well and cheaper. They were stupid as hell to discontinue it however, yes, lets stop selling a product that has so much demand it's never in stock anywhere unless it's 2x over msrp.
The demand that exists is only due to the shortage they've inadvertently created. They were never going to sell gangbusters of this product in the long term, and they would much rather focus on the Switch.

The demand that exists is only due to the shortage they've inadvertently created. They were never going to sell gangbusters of this product in the long term, and they would much rather focus on the Switch.

Sure, some of the demand is for that reason, but lots of demand existed before it even came to market, hell, even I would buy one, but not over MSRP. Also, if you are a collector, that is even more of a reason to get one now, as prices will only go up, artificial shortage or not. And they could have, it was a super hot item, had they had full stock around xmas, they would indeed have sold "gangbusters" worth of them, as their was way more than enough hype before hitting the market.

Sure, some of the demand is for that reason, but lots of demand existed before it even came to market, hell, even I would buy one, but not over MSRP. Also, if you are a collector, that is even more of a reason to get one now, as prices will only go up, artificial shortage or not. And they could have, it was a super hot item, had they had full stock around xmas, they would indeed have sold "gangbusters" worth of them, as their was way more than enough hype before hitting the market.
There's always a bit of hype around Nintendo products during holiday season, but outside of their core supporters this product was useless to them in terms of overall sales. This was never meant to be a long-term seller for them, and it makes sense now to focus on the Switch VC and not have a competing product there for that (if that is indeed what they are doing). As for as collecting goes, I'd take the actual thing over this little box of generic hardware anyday, but Nintendo does manage to make even the most pitiful things into collectors' items. That's the power of their brand name, can't fault them for that.

This right here says why the nes classic was a hit... it just worked, you didn't have to fuck around... literally plug and play. instant boot times... point and click to hack... the buttons work! etc etc.....but here... if you want to make the power button work on the raspberry pie version.....have a read! glue, drill filing, mess with the software code... etc etc etc

from the amazon reviews of the NES case for raspberry pie........

does the power button work?
"You can modify the case to add a real power button. I did it by filing down the fake button, drilling a hole, gluing a momentary switch on the inside, and gluing scrap plastic into the shape necessary to push said switch. There's a little tweaking in the code for RecalBox or RetroPie that you would need to do, but it's not difficult. I also added a power indicating LED while I was at it."

I bought a NES classic with wireless controller from gamestop a couple weeks ago for $92 total. Sold it for $140 the day before Nintendo announcement last week! Price tripled then. Ya I could kick myself. Anyway I think ill try modding one myself one day. Should be fun, and will look like the actual console did.

Back