NES Classic - Discontinued

This is some real fucking bullshit, while I do have a retro pie 3 setup I wanted this thing for the nostalgia factor. Not sure what nintendo is thinking.

Nintendo has kinda been effin me for a good while now. If this news had come out before i preordered a switch(why couldn't I preorder a nes classic exactly?) I wouldn't have ordered one.

Zelda BOTW might be one of the best games i've ever played... do you know how much that has affected my life? . <- that little one pixel dot.

Stop screwing over your real fans for scalpers Nintendo! I have other options. I spend 500 just to play a zelda game, haven't picked up my switch since. I'm the type of discretionary spender you want.

I bet there will be a new version with internet connectivity so it can connect to a market place to purchase and download more games.

I'll stick with my RetroPie...

I was finally starting to see prices drop down near $100 on Craigslist. This morning they seemed to be relisted $200-400 since it's discontinued.

I did find the statement from Nintendo interesting saying last shipment of the year.

NES classic was flawed from the beginning. Easily hackable , im pretty sure nintendo said fuck it because of this.

NES classic was flawed from the beginning. Easily hackable , im pretty sure nintendo said fuck it because of this.

NES ROMs are easily obtained and cheap and easy to run on most hardware. Plus, these things were sold out pretty much from the get-go up until this announcement. If they really discontinued it because it was "easily hackable" then they are even more retarded than previously thought.

I can't see the "hackability" mattering when you can download the entire NES library and a dozen emulators that run them perfectly from the front page of Google. Hell, you can get the original cartridges for next to nothing just by visiting yard sales and pawn shops. It's not like the Wii wasn't in the top 2-3 of most hackable systems of all time, too.
There's probably something else to it. Either they have a different model incoming, something about it got too expensive/hard to acquire, a license expired, etc.

I can't see the "hackability" mattering when you can download the entire NES library and a dozen emulators that run them perfectly from the front page of Google. Hell, you can get the original cartridges for next to nothing just by visiting yard sales and pawn shops. It's not like the Wii wasn't in the top 2-3 of most hackable systems of all time, too.
There's probably something else to it. Either they have a different model incoming, something about it got too expensive/hard to acquire, a license expired, etc.

No.

Too many people on the retro bandwagon. Getting a decent collection of games will cost you hundreds, getting a real solid collection for just NES, will run you thousands.

No.

Too many people on the retro bandwagon. Getting a decent collection of games will cost you hundreds, getting a real solid collection for just NES, will run you thousands.

I literally just saw a yard sale with about 50-75 Nintendo games for $0.50 each or $25 for the whole big 'ol box yesterday. They made zillions of those things and it's not like people threw them away. You might not get a bunch in mint condition, but the common games (the ones people actually want) sold millions of copies. I'm sure there are hipsters that claim they only play the NES and all that, but there aren't millions of them.

I bet there will be a new version with internet connectivity so it can connect to a market place to purchase and download more games.

I'll stick with my RetroPie...

Honestly I'd love to see something like this and nintendo is the company to do it. Have a retro console that is cheap that lets you buy games(or sets of games) for multiple systems. Have it be 100 or 150 bucks max but let you buy games to the n64 or maybe gamecube level. Get sega onboard to get a bunch of their retro titles.

I literally just saw a yard sale with about 50-75 Nintendo games for $0.50 each or $25 for the whole big 'ol box yesterday. They made zillions of those things and it's not like people threw them away. You might not get a bunch in mint condition, but the common games (the ones people actually want) sold millions of copies. I'm sure there are hipsters that claim they only play the NES and all that, but there aren't millions of them.

Well you are dumb for not buying it. Talking 5-10 bucks for crap carts on eBay. Crap ones.

Multiply by 400

with the recent prices of this thing , im about to trade mine for a ps4 pro , and i had offers!

:eek:

If the rumors are true regarding an SNES-mini coming out this holiday season, I won't hold a grudge..

Just gimme SM World, LoZ: Link to the Past, and Super Metroid!!

Stick a retropie in one of these and call it a day:

https://www.amazon.com/Old-Skool-NES-case-Raspberry/dp/B01M4OOY4U

Just built one of these as a present for my older brother, filled it with all the old video games we all played decades ago, from Intellivision to PS1. While I see the ease and convenience of something like a NES Classic or SNES Classic, honestly one of these things is amazing for the value and no one is ever going to retail something with this sort of flexibility. Not to mention, once it is set up properly, it is super easy to use even by a complete tech illiterate or lazy person.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Stick a retropie in one of these and call it a day:

https://www.amazon.com/Old-Skool-NES-case-Raspberry/dp/B01M4OOY4U

Just built one of these as a present for my older brother, filled it with all the old video games we all played decades ago, from Intellivision to PS1. While I see the ease and convenience of something like a NES Classic or SNES Classic, honestly one of these things is amazing for the value and no one is ever going to retail something with this sort of flexibility. Not to mention, once it is set up properly, it is super easy to use even by a complete tech illiterate or lazy person.

For the NES, sure.. but for SNES, i found it not the same. I was using a bluetooth 8bitdo controller and ran both retro-pi frontons and the SNES games weren't right. They were laggy and unresponsive compared to my actual SNES sitting next to them. It wasn't the same.. not even close.

Is a wired controller maybe better? Not sure. But if you grew up with a regular SNES, from my experience a Pi absolutely cannot properly emulate it.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
For the NES, sure.. but for SNES, i found it not the same. I was using a bluetooth 8bitdo controller and ran both retro-pi frontons and the SNES games weren't right. They were laggy and unresponsive compared to my actual SNES sitting next to them. It wasn't the same.. not even close.

Is a wired controller maybe better? Not sure. But if you grew up with a regular SNES, from my experience a Pi absolutely cannot properly emulate it.

I use wireless Xbox 360 controllers and Buffalo wired SNES clones and it is great with SNES. I played SNES heavily as a kid, seems fine to me. I avoided the Bluetooth 8bitdo controllers precisely because I saw a lot of complaints similar to yours...maybe give it a shot with another controller?

I bought one about 5 weeks ago after hearing it was discontinued in Europe. I knew it would turn into a highly sought after item once discontinued here so now I'm just letting it sit unopened and appreciate in value.

Verge maybe try 8bitdo in usb cable mode? I did read there are ways to reduce lag with that controller by fiddling with a few options or using a different emulator... Let me know if you get it working, I have the same problem on that controller

I wanted to get one of these, but I could never find one at the right price. Then one of my friends told me to get the CanaKit Raspberry Pi 3 Complete Starter Kit. It's a little bit more expensive than the NES classic, but you can play over 20 different consoles with that thing.

I heard the SNES classic is coming out in the future. I think I'll buy some then re-sell them.

I wanted to get one of these, but I could never find one at the right price. Then one of my friends told me to get the CanaKit Raspberry Pi 3 Complete Starter Kit. It's a little bit more expensive than the NES classic, but you can play over 20 different consoles with that thing.

I heard the SNES classic is coming out in the future. I think I'll buy some then re-sell them.

So you couldn't get a NES classic.. but you just assume you can buy an unlimited number of SNES classics?

I mean that's super logical bro.

I haven't been following this but there must be something wrong. No company would throw away revenue (aside from creating scarcity at product release - iphone, wii, etc) unless they see competition coming or have a product that would cannibalize that revenue.

price went down a lot on these things on ebay , still 200$ but its manageable. I saw some go at more than 300$

some people like collecting...

just saying

No problem with that as long as you're ready to pay out the ass for it. ;)

But I agree, at this point there is no reason to buy one of these for actual use, and only as a collector's item.

So you couldn't get a NES classic.. but you just assume you can buy an unlimited number of SNES classics?

I mean that's super logical bro.

I don't see where I said I will buy an unlimited number of Snes classic, some don't mean unlimited unless I'm wrong. I could not get an NES classic because I thought Nintendo would make way more than that. The day it came out I went to 5 different stores and they were all sold out, they only receive 5-6 unit per store. So I decided to go online and then I saw people putting them at a ridiculously high price.

So I have no clue why you have to bash, but hey have a good day.

I don't see where I said I will buy an unlimited number of Snes classic, some don't mean unlimited unless I'm wrong. I could not get an NES classic because I thought Nintendo would make way more than that. The day it came out I went to 5 different stores and they were all sold out, they only receive 5-6 unit per store. So I decided to go online and then I saw people putting them at a ridiculously high price.

So I have no clue why you have to bash, but hey have a good day.

I think that was kind of his point...you were unable to get the NES Classic on day one (and all subsequent days after) but are assuming that you can pick up "a few" SNES Classics when try drop? What makes you think Nintendo is going to improve their supply chain?

I think that was kind of his point...you were unable to get the NES Classic on day one (and all subsequent days after) but are assuming that you can pick up "a few" SNES Classics when try drop? What makes you think Nintendo is going to improve their supply chain?
Because now I know how Nintendo works, they ship a very low amount of units per store. I'm going to find stores that aren't very popular and try to get there first. The only stores I visited when the NES classic was released are big name stores. To be honest, I had no clue they would ship 5-6 units per store. When I was younger, I worked at Toys'R'us when the Wii came out, and we would receive 40+ units every 2-3 weeks. I know I can get at least one if I camp early in front of the stores, plus I might get lucky and get more units if I'm quick enough. What I mean is this time I will be way more prepared than last time.

Back