Nero Problem

The Realyst

Limp Gawd
Everytime I try to burn it tell me "Could Not Perform Fixation" I'm running XP. What should I do to get this to work?

Well, it's not the software. I downloaded some free CD burning software and it still doesn't work. I used one program and it said something about Power Calibration. Maybe I need a better power supply? Mine is 400W. I'm running 2 CD Drives. One is the burner and the other is a DVD Drive. A Hard Drive, a floppy drive, a zip drive and a 9800 NP. Could that be it?

Are you trying to burn an ISO? If so, it could be corrupt. Check that and report back.

I've experienced this problem a lot with various configurations.

Here's the short version. It's a combination of your media and your drive.

First troubleshooting tip. Make sure your burner is getting an adequate data rate. I've seen this problem happen A LOT when the burners are slave drives IDE channels (espescially slower IDE channels like ATA/33). What happens is that Nero sees the 'signal' that it's reached the end of the burn queue and starts trying to write the LeadIn/LeadOut data but there is still data in the IDE queue that needs to be written. Try throttling back the writting process to something really slow like 4x or 8x. If that fixes it, then this is your problem and you need to give that drive a better situation in your IDE rig. You can also try bumping up Nero's burn cache. Normally, I don't use anything less than 10MB for my cache.

Second troubleshooting tip. Make for damn certain that the media you are using is specified compatible with your drive. Most people don't pay attention to this. On my ex-GF's laptop, she went through nearly two spindles of coasters until I convinced her NOT to use the $0.99 spindle for 50 CDs. They're cheap spindles because the CDs are cheap. Nuff said there.

Third troubleshooting tip. double-check for newer firmware. While this is a very rare thing (since nero uses it's own native communications layers), it can help in some cases.

A final note is to make sure that you have the latest version of Adaptec's ASPI layer installed. Nero makes extensive use of the ASPI layer to treat IDE drives as SCSI devices internally for queueing and drive communications.

**editted after reading new information**

Just saw your note about the power calibration error. My ex-GF had that problem, too. If you're running this on a desktop, then you need to disable the power saving features of ACPI. When nero gets to the end of a burn session, it sends a power-down signal to the drive. ACPI catches this and treats it like a power-down signal for the whole bus. I think you get the picture from there...

Ok, I have an hold Burner, but it worked with Nero until I went WinXP Pro. When I had home, it worked. I burn at 1x or 2x so it's not that. The media I use, I used before and it worked. Now it's not. I turned the power saving crap off. I don't know what else to do. I don't know anything about Fireware so if you can help me with that....

Back