CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor
Motherboard: Asus - ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Monitor: ASUS MG248QR
Video Card: XFX Radeon RX 580 GTS Black Edition 1405MHz
PSU: Corsair CX750M

After installing Windows 10 Pro (HDD not connected) and updating, it would freeze randomly. Mouse doesn't move the cursor, no input from keyboard to PC. When pressed the light for the Num Lock and Caps Lock keys turn on and off. PC must be reset or restarted using case buttons.

Made sure all updates were installed, updated drivers and BIOS. Random freezing would occur. Changed RAM timings.
Changed RAM to G.Skill Flare X16GB (2x8) DDR4-3200. Random freezing.
Tried to repair using Windows tool, didn't work.
Clean install of Win10 and updates, updated drivers, HDD connected, same issue. BIOS RAM settings set to defaults.
Clean install of Win10 Pro not connected to the internet, default drivers. Still freezes at random.

Double checked all connections. Reseated RAM. No oozing paste visible. No other overclocking. No overclocking at all, now.

Clean install to different SSD, random freezing still happens. Losing my mind. NVMe 970 still connected, HDD still connected.

Removed HDD, SSD boot issues. Sometimes will ask where to boot from, sometimes asks for CD or media, sometimes BSOD error 0xc00000e.

Clean install to 970............FREEZING at random.

Hope this is readable. So tired.

Need help, please.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Did you try mem one stick at a time? Also try disabling XMP and running mem at 2133. What do temps look like? What power supply are you using?

Did you try mem one stick at a time? Also try disabling XMP and running mem at 2133. What do temps look like? What power supply are you using?

Sorry PSU is the Corsair CX750M.

I will do the sticks one at a time and look at XMP next.

I will get the temp info too.

Is the ram running at 1.35v like it should? Hop into the BIOS and set the voltage manually if needed to test

That error code has something to do with the master boot record / boot configuration data....

*Shot in the dark*
------------------------------

Follow the instructions below closely in order to repair the Master Boot Record:

1. Insert the Windows 10 bootable media (USB stick or DVD) and restart your PC.
  2. Set the bootable media with the Windows 10 installation as the primary boot device. Change the boot order by either entering the Boot menu or within BIOS settings.
  3. Press any key to boot.
  4. The loading process of the installation file should commence.
  5. Select preferred language, time/format, and keyboard input. Hit the ”Next” button.
  6. In the following dialog box, select ”Repair your computer”from the bottom left corner.
  7. Open Troubleshoot from the selection menu.
  8. Choose Advanced Options.
  9. Open Command Prompt. If prompted, select your account and enter the password.
  10. In the command line, type the following commands and press Enter after each:
    • bootrec /FixMbr
    • bootrec /FixBoot
    • bootrec /ScanOs
    • bootrec /RebuildBcd
  11. Exit, remove the installation drive and try starting the system in a normal manner.
-------------------------------

Also, I knew I should've recommended you replace the PSU during the build!!

That would be my next move.... (swap the power supply)

^I'd bet 5 bucks this'll fix it honestly.

That error code has something to do with the master boot record / boot configuration data....

*Shot in the dark*
------------------------------

Follow the instructions below closely in order to repair the Master Boot Record:

1. Insert the Windows 10 bootable media (USB stick or DVD) and restart your PC.
  2. Set the bootable media with the Windows 10 installation as the primary boot device. Change the boot order by either entering the Boot menu or within BIOS settings.
  3. Press any key to boot.
  4. The loading process of the installation file should commence.
  5. Select preferred language, time/format, and keyboard input. Hit the ”Next” button.
  6. In the following dialog box, select ”Repair your computer”from the bottom left corner.
  7. Open Troubleshoot from the selection menu.
  8. Choose Advanced Options.
  9. Open Command Prompt. If prompted, select your account and enter the password.
  10. In the command line, type the following commands and press Enter after each:
    • bootrec /FixMbr
    • bootrec /FixBoot
    • bootrec /ScanOs
    • bootrec /RebuildBcd
  11. Exit, remove the installation drive and try starting the system in a normal manner.
-------------------------------

Also, I knew I should've recommended you replace the PSU during the build!!

That would be my next move.... (swap the power supply)

^I'd bet 5 bucks this'll fix it honestly.

Might just grab a new one (PSU) tomorrow morning.

** NEW**
Also top case fan not spinning/trying to spin and failing. (It's now unplugged).

Last edited:
did you try a barebones build just the cpu 1 stick of memory and gpu outside the case?

just to see if it freezes?

! stick of RAM it ran for ten minutes and crashed. Blue screen said PC ran into problems and needs to restart. No error code give.

Something sounds like it is trying to spin but can't. Not sure what it is. HDD unplugged, no CD in DVD drive.

What should I use to measure temps?

Not sure why your default ram voltage is 1.2v, I was under the impression 3200mhz ram was 1.35v default. For shits and giggles, you should raise to 1.35v and see if you still get the lock-ups.

It's either motherboard or PSU....

tenor.gif

Not sure why your default ram voltage is 1.2v, I was under the impression 3200mhz ram was 1.35v default. For shits and giggles, you should raise to 1.35v and see if you still get the lock-ups.

Went with default settings got freezes. Changed to rated timings got freezes.

Ram is installed in the A2 and B2 slots? (Manual calls for that configuration for 2 rams)

I'm very partial to Seasonic… FWIW.

Another note: when you installed Windows, you only had the OS drive physically installed, right? If you had another drive connected, Windows will stick part of the OS on the non-targeted drive. That will create a lot of odd issues. Ask me how I know.

I have Seasonic in my machine. But they are not sold locally anymore.
The EVGA is available in store.

Yes. The HDD was not plugged into the MoBo. Only the SSD. I've made that mistake in the past as well.

Ok.

New power supply is in (Corsair RM 750X Gold). Others not in stock.

I only have 1 stick of RAM installed and was able to play 10 games of Solitaire over approximately 10 minutes. Last night after 2 or 3-ish minutes the PC would freeze.
I'm in the process of running the Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool.

How should I test the machine? Should I use Prime95?

Last edited:
Ok.

New power supply is in (Corsair RM 750X Gold).

I only have 1 stick of RAM installed and was able to play 10 games of Solitaire over approximately 10 minutes. Last night after 2 or 3-ish minutes the PC would freeze.
I'm in the process of running the Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool.

How should I test the machine? Should I use Prime95?

Like, for stability?

Prime95 is ok.

Aida64 stability test is better IMO.

Run a loop of Firestrike or Heaven for an hour *shrugs

Really after half an hour of Prime and the same for Aida64, you should be ok.

(I really think it was the old PSU. You're probably fine now etc)

So I should just put both sticks of RAM in and run Aida64? Or one at at time?

Thanks again for all the help.

I agree that it was most likely the PSU. But just want to test the machines stability a little before giving it to my nephew.

So I should just put both sticks of RAM in and run Aida64? Or one at at time?

Thanks again for all the help.

I agree that it was most likely the PSU. But just want to test the machines stability a little before giving it to my nephew.

Since it already appears "cool".

Go ahead and put in everything, clock in the RAM using XMP etc etc. (both sticks for dual channel)

Then run tests.

Windows update 1803 at 31% and using 99% of disk according to task manager.

Just went to 32%. Interesting.

Was just looking at OP's list and the link for the memory says it is 2666 mhz not 3200 mhz.

I am not a huge fan of the ripjaws sets since most of them are made for z170, I had issues with a 3000mhz kit even in a z370 board. Switched to the trident z and had no issues with XMP on intel. If its only 2666 you should be fine with that 1.2v setting as well i also have had issues in a first gen ryzen set up with ripjaws and could only hit 2933 figured it was the first gen ryzen though.

There were no 2600x in stock at the time.
I've always been curious about overclocking but never have.

I think the other RAM set that I bought was G.Skill 3000.

3.9 Ghz is just setting the multiplier to 39 and the voltage to 1.25v.

13% more performance for 5 seconds of effort.

*done and done*

(no real testing neccesary, that'll just WORK)

Back