Neo Geo X Gold

Its not a bad deal at all if you're a fan of NeoGeo. You get a handheld with 20 pre-installed games, some of which were very good, and you get an arcade stick and a docking station to charge the handheld which also has HDMI output to connect it to your TV. I'm very interested since the NeoGeo is about the only console I never owned growing up.

I would say a collector is going to own or buy a used Neo cart or CD system off eBay, not this thing.
The joystick is probably worth $50-$60 but I can't really say the dock, the handheld, or the roms included are worth the other $150.

I want a Neo system at some point....I'll actually buy a real Neo system though. These are going to have minimal resale/collector value, whereas a Neo cart or CD system (or even better a CDZ) is going to keep a lot of it's initial value down the road.
The other gripe I have about this is wondering whether or not the game list is non-changeable or if there is more memory available for more games....and if there is, what's it gonna cost to add games or can we add our own?
Essentially this is a handheld ROM machine with a joystick and a TV dock for $200 bucks. Neat, but I definitely think it's overpriced and the game list leaves a lot to be desired.

Last edited:
$200 bucks is Kinda pricey......considering most Neo-Geo games can be emulated with little effort.

You're looking at it all wrong, its not just about being able to play the games, you're also getting a handheld and an arcade stick. You can't emulate that for free.

I would say a collector is going to own or buy a used Neo cart or CD system off eBay, not this thing.
The joystick is probably worth $50-$60 but I can't really say the dock, the handheld, or the roms included are worth the other $150.

I want a Neo system at some point....I'll actually buy a real Neo system though. These are going to have minimal resale/collector value, whereas a Neo cart or CD system (or even better a CDZ) is going to keep a lot of it's initial value down the road.
The other gripe I have about this is wondering whether or not the game list is non-changeable or if there is more memory available for more games....and if there is, what's it gonna cost to add games or can we add our own?
Essentially this is a handheld ROM machine with a joystick and a TV dock for $200 bucks. Neat, but I definitely think it's overpriced and the game list leaves a lot to be desired.

That's a big question for me also, will there be a way to get more games and how?

To the OP... You made my day! Never thought I'd see this release. I used to own one of these machines back in the day and I absolutely loved it. I cried for 2 weeks when a so called buddy stole it from me. I can't wait to grab this and my only hope is that they release more roms for it. I would buy every single one of them.

Yes, I have emulators and most of the games already. I don't have space to keep a collection of games though. This is perfect for the digital age as I get to hold the joystick (goosebumps thinking about it) and have my collection on a compact device.

BTW this is probably the 2nd time I've been in the console section. I really ought to get out more. :)

You're looking at it all wrong, its not just about being able to play the games, you're also getting a handheld and an arcade stick. You can't emulate that for free.

Yeah I get that, but really the only thing your getting thats interesting is the handheld aspect, you can build a 2 player happ joystiq setup for around $50 bucks that would leave that arcade stick in the dust.

And honestly I would be suprised if there isnt a handheld available with a custom firmware that emulates neo-geo games.If you can get mame running on a psp "not sure if you can", which runs 99% of neo-geo games there your go.

Hummm, interesting...
The NEO GEO is, was and will always be the pinnacle of cool in video games.

Is it just me or does the little handheld look just like a neo geo pocket? I loved that system too.
I am not sure if I will spring for $200 for this, but it would be tempting.

I guess it depends on how well the thing is executed. Will wait for reviews.

Hummm, interesting...
The NEO GEO is, was and will always be the pinnacle of cool in video games.

Because 98% of the gaming public couldn't afford them. :)
$600 consoles and $200 games? No wonder the thing was a complete bust.
The idea of having arcade games at home is a great idea, but the handcuff of staying with cartridges too long didn't do them any favors.

I lost count of how many times I walked into Babbages and touched the giant NeoGeo box and tried to imagine how many lemonade stands it would take to be able to buy one. :D

The only thing that had a chance was the CD (and moreso the CDZ because the CD was ridiculously slow due to being a 1x drive) but even then it came out too late and was never sold in the US anyway.

IMHO the "pinnacle of cool" was the TurboDuo, which is still one of the sleekest looking consoles I've ever owned. ;)

I'm actually seriously thinking about getting this. WTF is wrong with me..

Bust? sure, but still the longest lasting system in history. :) (1990-2004)

IMHO the "pinnacle of cool" was the TurboDuo, which is still one of the sleekest looking consoles I've ever owned. ;)
I remember spending hours at incredible universe in 1994, playing Gate of Thunder on the Turbo Duo, which was kept in the back area of the video games. I couldnt fathom why all the people were crowded around the Atari jaguar, SNES, Sega Genesis, all the while the clearly best machine in the house sat in the back untouched. The rocking CD music, the 512 colors on screen at once..... I wanted one so bad.... Couldnt justify the purchase, while already owning the base Turbografx unit, $299 was pretty pricey at the time. Dad was not having it. Had to settle with Donkey Kong Country instead..... :(

Now days, I want to get my hands on a true PC engine/Super CDrom2/interface unit/System card 3.0. They are so hard to come by now, used to be easy to find on ebay a few years ago...... My favorite console of all time.

Last edited:
The idea of having arcade games at home is a great idea, but the handcuff of staying with cartridges too long didn't do them any favors.

I lost count of how many times I walked into Babbages and touched the giant NeoGeo box and tried to imagine how many lemonade stands it would take to be able to buy one. :D

The only thing that had a chance was the CD (and moreso the CDZ because the CD was ridiculously slow due to being a 1x drive) but even then it came out too late and was never sold in the US anyway.

So I got my Neo Geo gold way back used from some california used games comany. this is long after the Neo Geo was in its prime. It was still a lot, maybe 250 and $50 each for games. But it was acceptable.

Now the TurboDuo, was preceded by the Turbo Grafx CD. Now when the Turbo Grafx CD drive came out I got it and it was fricking super expensive. I think around $500. I was insane to buy it but up until then it was the only thing around that was like it. I remember playing Ys on it, man...
Later on when Lechmere went out of business (Like Best Buy will some day) I remember walking past STACKS of TurboDuo machines which were brand new and featured BONK on the front of the box. They were $35 each and I did not get one. I wish now I had bought all they had and stored them somewhere. Always regreted that one.

MY POINT, because I am really on-point here is....Yes the TD was very cool. The TG16 is very underrated in geek-lore. But, the price was not prohibitive later on if you shopped around and back then anything really cool cost bigtime. Until the Sony PSX came along.
The 3Do was $599 at launch time also. I know, I am ashamed to say I bought one of those too. I still have one just for fun, not hooked up though.

If it wasn't for arcade perfect SNK ports on the Saturn I would have probably owned a Neo by now.

My NEC stuff I got a used TG-16 for $20 and eventually got a used Duo for like $50 without a power cord which cost me like $10 on eBay. Ended up buying a box of used games from someone on a BBS waaaaaaaaaaaay back in the day for like $100 that included a boatload of CD games including the 4 pack that the Duo originally came with as well as Y's I & II, plus a bunch of Hu cards including Dragon Spirit, Bomberman '93 and Military Madness. Made a CD-R of DraculaX from a friend of mine. Ended up a few years later selling the whole lot for like $450 on eBay. Semi-regret it, only for nostalgia's sake.

Out of the game systems I used to own, I miss my modded Saturn and Dreamcast the most. So many great fighting games.....oh well. Most of them have been HD-ified and re-re-re-released anyway in compilations or DD along with online play (which neither of those systems had back then; the DC had online play but the fighting game DC online play was basically Japan only).

I remember buying a new Jaguar at KB Toys for $20. Eh, if it's cheap enough and it's gaming related, I'll buy it. Damn that thing sucked though! Cybermorph didn't even have any music....ugh. Wanted to check out AvP but never got the chance to.

I regret never getting a Saturn. I still have a Dreamcast and it was a great system.

Almost picked up a TG16 myself on ebay, but just couldn't do it.

Funny I think I picked up a Jaguar at KB for $20 as well. :) Sucked so bad. So bad. However, Tempest was the balls. Not sure why they couldn't do any other good games.

I live by the same creedo, if it is cheap enough and gaming related I will get it. Mostly this applies to Steam sales and Target Clearance now though.

Funny though, after the SNES I was not much of a Nintendo guy. Had a N64 for Mario and link but never really loved it. Had to get the SNES when SF2 came out on it though...man my thumbs still hurt.

So I got my Neo Geo gold way back used from some california used games comany. this is long after the Neo Geo was in its prime. It was still a lot, maybe 250 and $50 each for games. But it was acceptable.

Now the TurboDuo, was preceded by the Turbo Grafx CD. Now when the Turbo Grafx CD drive came out I got it and it was fricking super expensive. I think around $500. I was insane to buy it but up until then it was the only thing around that was like it. I remember playing Ys on it, man...
Later on when Lechmere went out of business (Like Best Buy will some day) I remember walking past STACKS of TurboDuo machines which were brand new and featured BONK on the front of the box. They were $35 each and I did not get one. I wish now I had bought all they had and stored them somewhere. Always regreted that one.

MY POINT, because I am really on-point here is....Yes the TD was very cool. The TG16 is very underrated in geek-lore. But, the price was not prohibitive later on if you shopped around and back then anything really cool cost bigtime. Until the Sony PSX came along.
The 3Do was $599 at launch time also. I know, I am ashamed to say I bought one of those too. I still have one just for fun, not hooked up though.

Very true. Its seems its time has passed, however.
Ebay used to be loaded with Turboduo/PCengineSCDrom2 machines. It was around 2007-2008 I started noticing less and less machines being sold. TurboCD was $399 on release. That being 1989, I had no chance in hell of acquiring one.

I still want a PCengine/SCDrom2, but I'm starting to think it will be just to have around for nostalgia. I play all my favorite Super CDrom games on Magic Engine...... I cant imagine how it would look having to hook up by RF switch/RCA cable to my 40 inch LED HDTV, but it sure looks awesome upscaled with graphical filters running on my PC.

I regret never getting a Saturn. I still have a Dreamcast and it was a great system.

Almost picked up a TG16 myself on ebay, but just couldn't do it.

Funny I think I picked up a Jaguar at KB for $20 as well. :) Sucked so bad. So bad. However, Tempest was the balls. Not sure why they couldn't do any other good games.

I live by the same creedo, if it is cheap enough and gaming related I will get it. Mostly this applies to Steam sales and Target Clearance now though.

Funny though, after the SNES I was not much of a Nintendo guy. Had a N64 for Mario and link but never really loved it. Had to get the SNES when SF2 came out on it though...man my thumbs still hurt.

HEH.. Dont know.. The system had some potential. Aliens vs Predator was neat and graphically decent at the time. Doom jaguar was actually very good, and I think it was the closest of all the consoles versions at the time to the pc till Xbox arcade version came out. It also allowed system link, but I had some issues with that. Kept dropping connection :)rolleyes:). Though that could have been because i was using 2 50ft cables with a couple. It still did it with one 50ft. It was also programmed by John Carmack. It was still fun playing in two different rooms across the house!

Very true. Its seems its time has passed, however.
Ebay used to be loaded with Turboduo/PCengineSCDrom2 machines. It was around 2007-2008 I started noticing less and less machines being sold. TurboCD was $399 on release. That being 1989, I had no chance in hell of acquiring one.

I still want a PCengine/SCDrom2, but I'm starting to think it will be just to have around for nostalgia. I play all my favorite Super CDrom games on Magic Engine...... I cant imagine how it would look having to hook up by RF switch/RCA cable to my 40 inch LED HDTV, but it sure looks awesome upscaled with graphical filters running on my PC.

Hell yeah, i still have a turbo graphics 16.

Thats one thing i really love about my awesome CRT tvs. I have a sony 36XS955 with super fine pitch and it treats the old systems nicely. Probably not as nice as an upscaled emulator, but ill never have to worry about lcd/plasma not native resolution distortion. :( the weight of moving these bastards about outweighs any picture quality i get.

Bust? sure, but still the longest lasting system in history. :) (1990-2004)
Actually I think that title goes to the Atari 2600... late 1977 to 1992, it -just- edges out the Neo Geo for sheer longevity.

I do remember the Neo Geo when it was in the stores... just so gi-enormously expensive that it could never enter into any serious consideration, especially with my parents who were footing my home entertainment expenses when I was a teenager. But I did play most of the games in the arcade, which was far cheaper to just blow through rolls of quarters to get my fix. It might've not done so well in the home consoles arena but I think it did okay overall in the arcades.

Pretty cool that we can purchase the actual console, bundled with games, for the price of a single Neo Geo game way back then. Even though I can play them under MAME with my cabinet or a X-Arcade tankstick I might actually consider the standalone if it becomes available for sale in my area.

I'll wait on reviews to see how well it actually works, though.

The turboduo was one of my favorite systems I owned as well. I remember when the turbografx came out and the CD addon box at Babbages was enormous.

The Neo Geo was always really cool and seeing one in a store was I think also the first time I saw a Super Gun setup playing arcade boards. I still want a Super Gun to frame it on the wall for being the pinnacle of was that real when I was little. Yeah of course it was setup playing SF2 back when the arcades were 3/4 SF2 machines and always packed at all times of the day.

My Dreamcast, PS1 and PS2 are still sitting in a closet as I loved those systems. I threw everything else away for some reason. Like a SNES with probably some expensive games even now. I could pictures tossing my Wii eventually as well. They just don't make video games like they used to.

the fact this thread is now talking about TurboDuo also...I'm loving it! They look of it was so sleek even by today standards. Hopefully they do a Turboduo release like they did with NeoGeo and I would totally buy it again. I still have my TurboDuo. But lets face it, the stupid cables were never long enough unless you bought an extention.

I can still remember the very first time I cranked up my Neo Geo Gold System for the first time.
Something about the sound. I think because all prior systems I played had vastly inferior sound tech.

Blew me away.

In retrospect I can say that the TG16 also had a lot of wow factor for it's time. Someone here mentioned the colors. It was brighter and better.

I think the last system that really did something great was the DC. I remember being adamantly against buying one because I thought the Windows CE element would ruin it. Then I saw it and the awesomeness therein. It definately had something the PS2 didn't have, but alas, The Sony Behemoth could not be stopped. SEGA going software only was a sad day.

I don't play much games anymore. I think for the first time in my life I can safely say I pray more than I play video games. Maybe I should pray for video games. Nah. not worth it.

I purchased just about every console ever made when they were new going all the way back to the Atari 2600 and Intellevision, even at their outrageous prices. My Panasonic 3DO was about $800 new. The only consoles I never really owned were anything Commodore, the Neo Geo, and the Sega Saturn and 32x. I still have almost every one of the consoles that I purchased originally, all in storage now.

I purchased just about every console ever made when they were new going all the way back to the Atari 2600 and Intellevision, even at their outrageous prices. My Panasonic 3DO was about $800 new. The only consoles I never really owned were anything Commodore, the Neo Geo, and the Sega Saturn and 32x. I still have almost every one of the consoles that I purchased originally, all in storage now.

$800?
I bought a 3DO on launch day and it was $599 I think. You must have got "bundled".

What brand did you pruchase? I vaguely remember the Panasonic versions costing more than the others.

I am pretty sure at launch the only version they had was the panny. I think goldstar and Philips came in a month or more later at least.

I suspect if you paid more then you may have been roped into some bundle or something at one of the Video Game rip off retailers of the time.

I am guessing the games were at least 59$ each.

The 3d0 was really turd in the final analysis. I remember waiting FOREVER for Way of the Warrior. When it finally came out I couldn't believe the bad reviews it was getting until I went and got it. I should have listened to them... Worst game ever.

3do, in a lot of ways, it wasnt a bad system at all. It had too high a price which led to low install base and lack of exclusive great games. It still had some great gems though. ones i recall, captain quasar, shockwave, gex, battle sport, and wing commander 1,2,3. I recall having great fun playing battlesport and captain quasar with friends.

Ah crap, forgot i never beat captain quasar!

FYI...

$200 ‘Neo Geo X’ Handheld Also Available As $130 Basic Package

New details about the Neo Geo X, a handheld revival of the Neo Geo platform from the 1990s, have emerged.

As previously reported, the Neo Geo X will be available on December 6 as a $200 “Gold” bundle which will include the handheld device, 20 pre-installed games, a docking station that connects to a television and a joystick reminiscent of the original Neo Geo controller.

However, the handheld unit will also be sold by itself for $130, according to the official website.

The website now also confirms that, when connected to a television, the Neo Geo X supports local multiplayer. This is significant, as nearly all of the included games support two players. A second player will require a second joystick, to be sold separately for an as-yet undetermined price.

Hardware specifications have also been revealed, thanks to an announcement for the Japanese market. The Neo Geo X runs on Linux with a 480 x 272 pixel display (about the size of the screen in Sony’s PSP). The battery is estimated to last for six hours on a single charge.

Japanese consumers will also receive a special “Ninja Master Game Card”, containing an extra game title. No such offers have been announced for other territories, however.

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2012/09/neo-geo-x-standalon/

3do, in a lot of ways, it wasnt a bad system at all. It had too high a price which led to low install base and lack of exclusive great games. It still had some great gems though. ones i recall, captain quasar, shockwave, gex, battle sport, and wing commander 1,2,3. I recall having great fun playing battlesport and captain quasar with friends.

Yeah GEX was probably the most polished game I can remember on it.

Also I remember a game called the horde? I think? I think Kirk Cameron was in the game as well, and it was pretty decent.

I suppose there were a few good games.

FYI...

$200 ‘Neo Geo X’ Handheld Also Available As $130 Basic Package

New details about the Neo Geo X, a handheld revival of the Neo Geo platform from the 1990s, have emerged.

As previously reported, the Neo Geo X will be available on December 6 as a $200 “Gold” bundle which will include the handheld device, 20 pre-installed games, a docking station that connects to a television and a joystick reminiscent of the original Neo Geo controller.

However, the handheld unit will also be sold by itself for $130, according to the official website.

The website now also confirms that, when connected to a television, the Neo Geo X supports local multiplayer. This is significant, as nearly all of the included games support two players. A second player will require a second joystick, to be sold separately for an as-yet undetermined price.

Hardware specifications have also been revealed, thanks to an announcement for the Japanese market. The Neo Geo X runs on Linux with a 480 x 272 pixel display (about the size of the screen in Sony’s PSP). The battery is estimated to last for six hours on a single charge.

Japanese consumers will also receive a special “Ninja Master Game Card”, containing an extra game title. No such offers have been announced for other territories, however.

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2012/09/neo-geo-x-standalon/

130$ is not bad. For 20 games, come on! Looks so muchlike the neo geo pocket!

The Neo Geo X runs on Linux

So it's sporting a free OS with an emulator and roms, basically. :eek:
Ugh...I hate to be "the guy".....but come on. $130 base or $200 for the package if the thing had every Neo game ever would be a real close thing to an 'instant buy'....as it is though, maybe I'm the only one but I'm not really seeing the nostalgia as much as I'm seeing potential price gouging?

Neo stuff's always been expensive, don't get me wrong. I think the brand name and the mystique though has kept the value higher on their stuff than it really should be. (But not ashamedly I will freely admit to still wanting a Neo cart system, or rather a 4 cart MVS system.) :D

It's only 20 games. Oh...20+1. The problem is, a lot of these games are available as "collections" on recent systems with the same games for like $20 bucks. I'm not saying this hardware isn't nice, or that something shouldn't be paid for the portability....I dunno, maybe I'm just playing 'devil's advocate' and maybe I'm the only one thinking it's a hard sell. It'd be different if it was like 20 more recent games from the Neo library, or like 10 old (Mag Lord, Ninja Combat etc) and 10 new (KOF 2003, SamSho 4, Metal Slug 5, Last Blade II, and Garou:MotW etc).

Last edited:

And how can you forget Need for Speed, and Mad Dog Mcree? I loved Way of the Warrior too but I may have been biased with White Zombie's soundtrack.

And how can you forget Need for Speed, and Mad Dog Mcree? I loved Way of the Warrior too but I may have been biased with White Zombie's soundtrack.

I never played theres, and might should try to get ahold of them.

Back