Nekkid boxen q's

magnusvir

[H]ard|Gawd
I need to run a boxen nakid b/c the case is cause a short somewhere I don't have the time to figure out what is shorting out the mobo so I will run it naked and have a few questions.

If I have a spare mobo plate can I just stick the mobo on it and put the plate on the desk and run it?

Is it safe to run the hard disk and optical drives placed on the desk or is there some protection required?

Same question above for the PSU.

If you guys can answer these questions ASAP, a new box for the [H]orde satrts folding tonight!! :D

Kids/animals around? Drink often?

If no, have a ball. I've more often than not, just slapped the MB/PSU/HD/CD on a somewhat flat surface and lite it up.

I always worry needlessly about thermal issues, the MB getting too hot or something. Never gonna happen, me worry wart. Sticking the MB on your plate would solve this one.

Just don't drop stuff. HD's no likey dropping, MB's don't care for it much either.

I just have everything sitting on a wooden shelf. It runs perfectly fine, the mobo is right at the edge of the shelf so the PCI/AGP cards can hang down. Runs like a dream.

altight i will check it out and see. there is always RMA if something going FUBAR on the HD.

magnusvir said:
If I have a spare mobo plate can I just stick the mobo on it and put the plate on the desk and run it?

Is it safe to run the hard disk and optical drives placed on the desk or is there some protection required?

Same question above for the PSU.

I ran my main system a few years back for proabably a year or two nekkid. I had no trouble with it at all. My main reason for doing so was for better cooling. Later on it was because I had way too many hard drives to fit in and around the case. Running two PSUs didn't help that much either. Yes, I ran an AT PSU for several of the hard drives. Luckily several of the drives were SCSI so I had extra long cables I could use.

marty9876 said:
Sticking the MB on your plate would solve this one.

Just don't drop stuff. HD's no likey dropping, MB's don't care for it much either.

I recently relocated two of my machines into a closet and they run bare. One is on a shelf all by its lonesome while the other has a nice tray that I pulled out of an old box. I mounted the motherboard with standoffs and then zip tied the hard drive and the PSU to the rest of the tray - works like a charm.

Even ordered another empty motherboard tray off of eBay for a computer that is not running at the moment due to a power supply that I nuked when I tried to run two computers off of it - those 20 pin splitters are nice only if you have the power to run 2 computers (350W isn't good enough - especially a cheap 350).

Good luck in your endeavor. I love having the two machines in the closet - much quieter in the room. Moving the third in when the motherboard tray arrives. All hooked up via KVM to one monitor, mouse & keyboard.

I've been thinking about using a piece of plywood as the base, and using threaded rods with nuts/cardboard washers as spacing..... supposedly you can use a BIC pen as a ready-made spacer.... I've been kicking around a handful of ideas, can't convince myself to do any of it though.... my practical, must save for a house, side keeps convincing myself just to leave well enough alone.....

Keep on Folding!! For the [H]orde!!

OSUguy98 said:
I've been kicking around a handful of ideas, can't convince myself to do any of it though.... my practical, must save for a house, side keeps convincing myself just to leave well enough alone.....

K* would be best to chime in here, but I believe the investment into the threaded rod project was minimal. If anything you just end up with a single boxen on the base with room to expand upward.

OSUguy98 said:
I've been thinking about using a piece of plywood as the base, and using threaded rods with nuts/cardboard washers as spacing..... supposedly you can use a BIC pen as a ready-made spacer.... I've been kicking around a handful of ideas, can't convince myself to do any of it though.... my practical, must save for a house, side keeps convincing myself just to leave well enough alone.....

Just google for 6-32 threaded rod.
cost should be less than $10.00 each - I'd be suprised if you couldn't find it locally for less than $5.00 each. And we're talking 3 foot long sections here. so 2 of them could be cut to build a 1.5 ft tall rack.

I hadn't thought of the bic pen idea for spacers.... neat!

rodsfree said:
Just google for 6-32 threaded rod.
cost should be less than $10.00 each - I'd be suprised if you couldn't find it locally for less than $5.00 each. And we're talking 3 foot long sections here. so 2 of them could be cut to build a 1.5 ft tall rack.

I hadn't thought of the bic pen idea for spacers.... neat!

4x 3' 3-32 rod, 1box 100 3-32 nuts, washers = 16.??$ at HomeDepot.

Alright I ran it and something wrong with AGP port. Card is powering up but no display. And yes I tried 2 different cards. Looks like I will be hitting the parts swap thread.

KodiakStar said:
always helps to have a spare pci vid card around :)

does it have onboard video?

none. But I picked this thing off literally from the garbage so I was not expecting anything. Oh well, still have a fully functional 1700+ proc. Now someone needs to fix capacitors on my other Socket A motherboard since my soldering/electronics skills are no good.

The problem with the "investment" is that I want to make a worthwhile tower.... and that requires buying more boxen :D read: Tower of X2s........ mmmm.... folding goodness.... mmmm......

That and I have to convince my better half that nekkid boxen are better and not "ugly"

OSUguy98 said:
The problem with the "investment" is that I want to make a worthwhile tower.... and that requires buying more boxen :D read: Tower of X2s........ mmmm.... folding goodness.... mmmm......

That and I have to convince my better half that nekkid boxen are better and not "ugly"

Nekkid is beautiful.

I set my nekkid boxen on their Fedex boxes from shipping. Provides enough clearence room for the AGP cards to hang over the edge and not cause problems.

Now to see if I can resurrect my MSI K7N2 Delta motherboard that was having BIOS problems.

Now where is that Duron 600Mhz that overclocked to 933Mhz?

Fold On!!

HoosierDad said:
I set my nekkid boxen on their Fedex boxes from shipping. Provides enough clearence room for the AGP cards to hang over the edge and not cause problems.

Fold On!!
I just removed the plates from any PCI or AGP cards and they no longer need any clearance room over the edge. Makes everything a bit easier. Even though I do have clearance on my one nekkid box with the motherboard tray, it's not needed any more.

Thanks for the idea. That would be a cleaner method and less risk of knocking the AGP card out of it's slot.

Fold On!!

OSUguy98 said:

Show her K*'s pics of his tower.

Looks pretty spanky to me.

rodsfree said:
Show her K*'s pics of his tower.

Looks pretty spanky to me.

Do you really want to show off K* TOWER, he does a pretty good job of that himself from the looks of things!!! :p
Not sure that pics and K* should ever be put together in the same sentence! ;)

Mayhem33 said:
Not sure that pics and K* should ever be put together in the same sentence! ;)

Just append the words "hot korean nurse" to any mention of K* and pics, and you might be pleasantly surprised! ;)

Back