Nehalem to become Core i7 processor

I wouldn't care if they called it CoreTurd as long as it performed...

(well, maybe I would, but I'd get over it... :p)

btw if any one is wondering why i7

Core and Core 2 are based on the P6 that dates back to the Pentium Pro
the Pentium 4 was a totally new architecture called NetBurst
there for i7 makes sense here making this the ‘P7′

"Hey guys what's up? Not much, just bought a Core i7 processor... *ahem* *ahem*"

Why not just call it "Nehalem".

That way we won't need to learn new nams at launch.

No way it would be called i7, Apple would throw a shit frenzy over it. They'd prepare their army JiHadist Lawyers to sue Intel to the death for "copyright infringements". Now if it was I7 that'd be a different story...

Lame name.

LOL, didn't even think of the Apple connection.

They're going to call it an iCore2 ! :)

No way it would be called i7, Apple would throw a shit frenzy over it. They'd prepare their army JiHadist Lawyers to sue Intel to the death for "copyright infringements". Now if it was I7 that'd be a different story...

lol....... um.....

intel was using the "i" way before this. for example, in the first letter of the word "Intel"

and the first letter of their chipsets "i875" etc.

as far as your "Jihadist" lawyer argument- there are so many things inherently wrong in that statement, that it is difficult to even begin to comment on it. so I won't.

edit: oh, just to make it clear, I don't like apple at all, so I am not defending them.

If this keeps going, we'll have to ban the letter "i". Am I the only one that's sick of everything starting with a lower case i?

If this keeps going, we'll have to ban the letter "i". Am I the only one that's sick of everything starting with a lower case i?

no, you are not. it is, in fact, rather annoying. I guess the whole "i" marketing campaign on the apple end goes to the whole "personal" "mine" "personalized" "me" idea....

but hell, intel is the one who started using "i" with their technical products long ago, so I would rather apple stop first, if anyone lol

And then Intel would stop selling to them and they'd go out of business in a quarter. Think much?

intel was using the "i" way before this. for example, in the first letter of the word "Intel"

"I"ntel has never used "i" before in nearly the same fashion as Apple.

as far as your "Jihadist" lawyer argument- there are so many things inherently wrong in that statement, that it is difficult to even begin to comment on it. so I won't.

Theres nothing to comment on, lighten up chief. Would you feel better if I said Crusaders instead? "They'd prepare their army of Crusader Lawyers to sue Intel to the death for "copyright infringements". Are we feeling a little less butt sore about all of this now?

edit: oh, just to make it clear, I don't like apple at all, so I am not defending them.

Your lack of being able to take several jokes, as the jokes that they were, could have fooled me along with several people on these forum boards.

OMG they will sue me !!! LMAO =P i like my i. LoL

But i dont see nothing wrong with i7, looks normal to me o_O apple got issues wanting to patent their i !!!

Can't have my i !!! Mines my precious i !!!

<snip>

Your lack of being able to take several jokes, as the jokes that they were, could have fooled me along with several people on these forum boards.

um..... dude.... I think you might need to chill out a bit. You did notice the "lol" in my post... right?

but yeah, reference the photo of the chipset that other guy posted...

edit: yeah, I know the "i" wasn't use in the exact same manner, but come on- intel did it first- if apple wants to put up a fight about it, let them- it will be fruitless! (apple-less, even!)

OMG they will sue me !!! LMAO =P i like my i. LoL

But i dont see nothing wrong with i7, looks normal to me o_O apple got issues wanting to patent their i !!!

Can't have my i !!! Mines my precious i !!!

The Supreme court ruled that you can't copyright numbers. No doubt they'd rule that you can't copyright a single letter alone.

The Supreme court ruled that you can't copyright numbers. No doubt they'd rule that you can't copyright a single letter alone.

Especially the letter "i". They'd own half the English sentences ever spoken if they managed to get that one through.

LOL doesn't mean these foolish people wont try LMAO

But back to the topic whats the new specialness about this chip ?

I would have liked it to be the Pentium 5.

Many of you Disagree but I would have still liked it ;)

um..... dude.... I think you might need to chill out a bit. You did notice the "lol" in my post... right?

but yeah, reference the photo of the chipset that other guy posted...

edit: yeah, I know the "i" wasn't use in the exact same manner, but come on- intel did it first- if apple wants to put up a fight about it, let them- it will be fruitless! (apple-less, even!)

i468 is not a chipset, it's a CPU:
http://www.intel.com/design/intarch/intel486/docs_486.htm
;)

But back to the topic whats the new specialness about this chip ?

The new specialness about this chip is that it's a completely new architecture with very good performance (~20% greater performance per clock than C2), and it also integrates a memory controller onto the CPU die and gets rid of the FSB in favour of a new high-speed point to point interface called QuickPath (similar to AMD's Hypertransport in usage).

Maybe not to the same extent, but looks like it's in the same fashion.

Not even close to how Apple uses the "i". Try as you all might there is no one in the industry that uses that little i the same way that Apple does.

Not even close to how Apple uses the "i". Try as you all might there is no one in the industry that uses that little i the same way that Apple does.

how is i486 not using the little "i" the same way Apple does? Also, what about the iPaq?

Why can't they just stick to basics and call it the Core 3 Duo/Quad/Octo/xxx just like AVT said?

Why can't they just stick to basics and call it the Core 3 Duo/Quad/Octo/xxx just like AVT said?

They should have called Core 2 Duo's Core 2's and Core 2 Quad's Core 4's or something like that. Core 2 Duo was never a good name as far as I am concerned.

They should have called Core 2 Duo's Core 2's and Core 2 Quad's Core 4's or something like that. Core 2 Duo was never a good name as far as I am concerned.

The 2 comes from the fact that it's the second generation Core product. Core(TM) Duo/Solo, Core 2(TM) Duo/Quad. Similar to the Pentium(TM), Pentium(TM) 2, etc. I can see how someone not in the know would get confused though. Had a conversation with a guy that thought he knew it all. He thought that a Core 2 Duo was just dual-core Core Duo. I was like "then what's a Core Solo?" He said there was no such thing, then threw the "I've been building computers for..." line and stormed off. This was before there was a Core 2 Quad, so I don't know if he ever learned any better.

Don't you just love the "I've been building computers for..."

LOL, got in an arguement with my uncle, about temps on my moms computer.. I said they were too high (58C), and I offered some ideas. He said the were fine, and nothing needs done (although it randomly shuts down, from heat). He said "I've been building computers for longer than you have been around, and you think you know it all". Basically, he couldn't admit that my ideas were better than his "temps are fine" idea.:D

But that was totally a thread- jack

Intel i7 is lame, should just be Nehalem

The 2 comes from the fact that it's the second generation Core product. Core(TM) Duo/Solo, Core 2(TM) Duo/Quad. Similar to the Pentium(TM), Pentium(TM) 2, etc. I can see how someone not in the know would get confused though. Had a conversation with a guy that thought he knew it all. He thought that a Core 2 Duo was just dual-core Core Duo. I was like "then what's a Core Solo?" He said there was no such thing, then threw the "I've been building computers for..." line and stormed off. This was before there was a Core 2 Quad, so I don't know if he ever learned any better.

I always knew exactly where the name came from. I just always thought that it sounded stupid.

Don't you just love the "I've been building computers for..."

LOL, got in an arguement with my uncle, about temps on my moms computer.. I said they were too high (58C), and I offered some ideas. He said the were fine, and nothing needs done (although it randomly shuts down, from heat). He said "I've been building computers for longer than you have been around, and you think you know it all". Basically, he couldn't admit that my ideas were better than his "temps are fine" idea.:D

But that was totally a thread- jack

Intel i7 is lame, should just be Nehalem

To continue the threadjack, if you think 58C is shutting down a machine, your uncle was pretty much right on spot. 58C is well within spec for any modern, or even ancient processor. Especially considering it's "mom's computer" which would logically indicate it being run at stock with stock cooling. People really need to unbunch their panties about temps. It's funny to watch people pontificate about shit they have *no idea* about.

To continue the threadjack, if you think 58C is shutting down a machine, your uncle was pretty much right on spot. 58C is well within spec for any modern, or even ancient processor. Especially considering it's "mom's computer" which would logically indicate it being run at stock with stock cooling. People really need to unbunch their panties about temps. It's funny to watch people pontificate about shit they have *no idea* about.

co sign +1

Back