Negative Experiences On Facebook Linked To Increased Depression

HardOCP News

[H] News
Attention young adults! If Facebook (or anything else for that matter) is making you depressed, STOP USING IT! How can anything make you depressed if you don't use it? Also, I had no idea there was an acronym for a "negative Facebook experience."

One of the study's most basic findings is that 82 percent of the 264 participants reported having at least one negative Facebook experience (NFE) since they started using the service, and 55 percent had one in the year before they were surveyed in 2013 or 2014. Among the participants, 63 percent said they had four or more NFEs during their young lifetimes. Meanwhile, 24 percent of the sample reported moderate-to-severe levels of depressive symptoms on the standard Center for Epidemiological Studies Depression Scale.

depression also skews your view on events. This could cause a bias as said persons view most of life as sour or flavorless and missing color/excitement.

thats nothing if you dig deeper 100% of all depression patients breath!. the correlation is unmistakable!

(in other words, you can make numbers say pretty much anything)

So anyone have a 'negative Facebook experience'?

I can think of a few:
That drowned toddler on a beach picture that kept popping up on my newsfeed (thanks for that humanity);

Fucking Harambe;

My father's constant sharing of anti-Muslim imagery, anti-Trump imagery (you'd think they'd have something in common), and constant 'like'ing of 'Thick N8v Curves' collection of plus size native American women.

Instead we should clearly strive for a world where no one ever experiences anything negative or anything they disagree with!

Safe zones for EVERYONE! o_O

Attention young adults! If Facebook (or anything else for that matter) is making you depressed, STOP USING IT! How can anything make you depressed if you don't use it? Also, I had no idea there was an acronym for a "negative Facebook experience."

One of the study's most basic findings is that 82 percent of the 264 participants reported having at least one negative Facebook experience (NFE) since they started using the service, and 55 percent had one in the year before they were surveyed in 2013 or 2014. Among the participants, 63 percent said they had four or more NFEs during their young lifetimes. Meanwhile, 24 percent of the sample reported moderate-to-severe levels of depressive symptoms on the standard Center for Epidemiological Studies Depression Scale.

Feeling depressed is normal. Having depression is an illness.

Initialism. Acronyms spell a word like ISUP, which stands for ISDN (an initialism) User Part.

As for just "stop using it," that's like telling an alcoholic to just stop drinking (and alcoholics tend to suffer from depression): it's easier said than done, especially since they often don't realize they're depressed and if they do they may not know why.

Does no facebook experience count as negative? I remember when it was for college kids only, and still don't use it to this day.

Experiencing something negative because you engaged in communication is called life. It is important and valuable for us to confront negative emotions, and learn to deal with them. That's not to say it's valuable to communicate with toxic people--it's reasonable to separate yourself from constant communication with people who only contribute negatively. Negative emotion is also not the same thing as depression, which can be very serious. if you struggle with depression (as I do) and your depression is worsened by Facebook (mine isn't, at least not directly), then drop Facebook like a hot rock.

this day and age with our generation, i am not surprised how emo they are with being politically correct, selfies, look at my FOOD, and so much fun pictires. being a jelly fish due to lack of social skills beyond the internet can cause stage 3 depression instantly. live life and learn to move on FB users. don't hate because that ain't you in that post.

Does that mean I am dead inside that I have neither highs nor depressing lows from social media? At best I once and a while I get a burr on the ol' behind which causes me to go on a tear haranguing folks about their shitty posts, but that's about it.

Am I too far gone?!

1329248036365_6756660.png

Back