Needs some serious help with OpenIndiana + napp-it please

So, a quick back story...

I needed to swap domain controllers because I wasn't too happy about a few things... so I moved OI to a workgroup temporarily called HOME, and then when the new DC was up I joined OI to it again. Great.

Went and removed all the idmap links, and all the shares had the users/groups removed... awesome.

One place I'm having a big issue with is my home directory since I cannot gain access anymore (the others work fine since I've idmap'd the accounts from the new domain with basic permissions).. It was locked down to me only + root, I had removed my user just in case and while I can still access it via the cli using root (sudo) I cannot for the life of me seem to be able to chmod anything on the whole system, like any share/dir/file.

It's like the command chmod and ls went stupid.

ls -vD directory/ from what I remember normally shows the directories current ACL's... that doesn't work anymore.

chmod A+user:blah:wpdDxra:fs:allow, etc... that doesn't work either.

I can't seem to add my local user via napp-it either... when I select ++add local user, the username field is blank and there is no way to change it. Also even though my napp-it is registered (eval PRO), it complains about not being registered and all that nonsense as well, so I cannot seem to do anything ACL wise system wide.

Really need some help here guys, it's a little unnerving to be in this situation.

Last edited:
Solaris CIFS use Windows Security id's (sid).
This is perfect as you can move/ import pools anywhere with ACL intact.

If you join another domain, you must reset all ACL

Solaris comes with the GNU tools. They are used first.
Addtionally there are Solaris version with some extras like ACL
In you case, you must use the Solaris versions from /usr/bin/
/usr/bin/ls or /usr/bin/chmod

about napp-it
If you change hostname, your key is invalid, delete it at menu Extension - register - edit
You can request a new eval key at http://napp-it.org/extensions/evaluate.html

what do you mean with add-user field empty?
You can there create a new local Solaris user.
AD users are created on your Domain and known on OI after first connect.

If you like to reset ACLs completely, you can use the ACL extension
(for large pools you need the current napp-it 0.9 where this is done in background)

Solaris CIFS use Windows Security id's (sid).
This is perfect as you can move/ import pools anywhere with ACL intact.

If you join another domain, you must reset all ACL

Solaris comes with the GNU tools. They are used first.
Addtionally there are Solaris version with some extras like ACL
In you case, you must use the Solaris versions from /usr/bin/
/usr/bin/ls or /usr/bin/chmod

I understand all that, but what I was trying to say is that it seems I can no longer set ACL's at all... I cannot view them, I cannot set them.

Would you mind giving me an example of how to reset the ACL's @ that command line?

I believe it should be chmod A- target but like I said it no longer lets me do that system wide (logged in as root even via sudo -s):

Code:
root@batcavefs:/tank_z1# chmod A- Users/
chmod: invalid mode: `A-'
Try `chmod --help' for more information.

about napp-it
If you change hostname, your key is invalid, delete it at menu Extension - register - edit
You can request a new eval key at http://napp-it.org/extensions/evaluate.html

what do you mean with add-user field empty?
You can there create a new local Solaris user.
AD users are created on your Domain and known on OI after first connect.

If you like to reset ACLs completely, you can use the ACL extension
(for large pools you need the current napp-it 0.9 where this is done in background)

I changed the hostname a while ago and the PRO version stopped working. As my PM to you I requested a new vkia via your website a few months ago and never got it, last night I tried it again and got a new key and napp-it says it is valid and that I am running the PRO version of 30 days. But the ACL extension when I try to use it (to reset ACL or add domain ACL) it says I need a full version.

Unfortunately I feel there is something very wrong system wise, but unsure why. Everything was working when I first setup OI a few months back and didn't have to touch it until now.

Here are some screen shots showing napp-it is registered and what happens when I try to use it to reset the ACL's (due to the command line not working for me).

2yxhg8o.jpg

2edazk3.jpg

I see what you mean about the tool in /user/bin as they works as expected... although I could have sworn previous to this I didn't have to specify the path to use them before.

That said, the napp-it issue is still there no matter what I try (acting like the PRO version is not active).

Any help with that would be appreciated.

Thanks!

- reset ACL to modify is free or
- try an update of napp-it to 0.9b2 (includes a bugfix for ACL extension)

http://napp-it.org/downloads/changelog_en.html

Tried upgrading... same thing... it says I need a valid agreement or license.

Quite strange

On the bright side I was able to recover everything correctly and reset all the ACL's... so all my shares are working correctly once again. Just strange about the napp-it extension(s) not working correctly for me.

Oh well, they're not really needed. But I'd still like to get the the bottom of it even if it's something you would like to see why it is happening to me for yourself/troubleshooting.

Last edited:
Back