Needed room for 2 HD's - so made it happen (pics) included

alumar

[H]ard|Gawd
I was updating my vivo computer and wanted to keep the case simple. But I needed room for my (2) 80.0gig ATA133 Raid0 drives and wanted to keep them cooled.

Figured armed with a dremel, $2.57, 45min... I could make it happen.

Went down to ace hardware and purchased some 1 1/4 inch brackets (10pack) to hold the hardrives ...kinda suspened like a bridge together. Figured using motherboard tower screws I could suspend the hardrives off the bottom of the case yet give me enough room to get other items in the computer.

Using a few spare brackets I was able to bend them to form the angle I needed on the fan, to get good airflow over the drives.

Check the pic's

6594inside1.jpg

6594closeup.jpg

6594fullview.jpg

6594cpu.jpg

:)

That is some of the cleanest hard drive brackets I have seen. Would be nicer if they were solid to the case. Would be a problem to take out the motherboard where they are located though.

Actually its only 4 screws from coming out...

See the motherboard tower screws are screwed in backwards...that way I take normal screws from the bottom and screw into the tower screws...

4 screw's later the 2 HD's come right out, still attached to each other.

That's pretty clean. I just wish I had room to do that in my case(I'm poor so I have six hard drives in my computer right now. I could replace it with a 250 gig and end up with more storage than I have now).

damn nice work, I like the inverted stand-offs

(yeah we all want 250gigs Id love 6 in my server... ::shivers with joy::)

good mod!

Surely if the case encounters some sort of front-back force, the drives are gonna pivot on those struts you've got. A neater solution would be to have longer struts going diagonally across on each side (ie instead of front of drive 1 to front of drive 2, go front 1 to back 2 and front 2 to back 1). That way you don't rely on the friction generated by screwing the screws in tight.

Nice work though. I used the inverted standoff method in my ServerInADrawer (tm).

Did the same basic thing is a couple rackmount servers i built- except each case had two little 'towers' of 4 HD's in each tower. It worked great and was very sturdy.

Back