Needed: a very simple email app

evilsofa

[H]F Junkie
Scenario: mother-in-law, computer phobic. Yahoo email is too complicated and the interface changes too often (yes, I know I'm doomed from the start). Even the slightest change in interface will throw her off completely, and part of the problem is that using a web browser is too complicated, so the wife has directed that I set her mother up with an email application that at least won't have a changing interface. The wife wanted me to set her mother up with Outlook (my response was "you think that is less complicated?"), but her mother doesn't have Microsoft Office, so hopefully I'll find a free email client that works for her.

My first attempt will probably be to simplify Mozilla Thunderbird as much as possible, though I have never used Thunderbird before. Any suggestions for other email apps or methods of simplifying Thunderbird would be appreciated!

Sounds like the beginning of a maintenance headache for you -- excessive phone calls, endlessly repeating the same details, having to write word-for-click instructions, etc.

Root cause is her paranoia/phobia. See if any libraries or educational institutions nearby have free or nominal-charge computer classes available. It'd give her a chance to open up and learn among like-minded peers.

I would say Windows Mail...although for some reason I see her unfortunately ending up with IncrediMail.

Sounds like the beginning of a maintenance headache for you -- excessive phone calls, endlessly repeating the same details, having to write word-for-click instructions, etc...

On a side note, how do you 'combat' this? I've been stuck in way too many situations being Level 1/2/3 tech support for all sorts of crazy computer problems. How do you get out of that tech support loop?

-Cool-

On a side note, how do you 'combat' this? I've been stuck in way too many situations being Level 1/2/3 tech support for all sorts of crazy computer problems. How do you get out of that tech support loop?
Usually depends on a variety of factors: if this is a new app or an upgrade, typical user education level, global reach of the site, etc. So I'll just toss out a handful of things I've incorporated in the past:
- inline instructions
- "how to" videos
- onsite training demos
- a "sample" site that users can mess with (to a degree) that gets its data refreshed nightly or as needed
- another "sample" site available only for sales people to demo things on their own as needed (the sales people generally maintain this one)
- developing a core customer group that handles the information dispersal and training (ie: training the trainers)

For the "how to" videos... These have generally been on small topics, and really staying focused on the happy path. One video per "How do I do this" that streams in the browser.

Of course, there's the user documentation... But assuming that it exists and is written well, sometimes it's still not read often enough ;)

Last edited:
Pen and paper. ;p

Personally, I think gmail has the most simple/ intuitive interface.

Sounds like the beginning of a maintenance headache for you -- excessive phone calls, endlessly repeating the same details, having to write word-for-click instructions, etc.

That's already the situation. The wife mandated that I try to solve it with an email app instead of an email web site. Whether or not I think it's doomed to failure is irrelevant - I have my orders!

Personally, I think gmail has the most simple/ intuitive interface.

...which Google (and every other email web site) just can't resist changing every now and then, which messes her up (aside from the problem that just getting to gmail is too hard for her).

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try Thunderbird first and see how simple it can get. If that doesn't work, then I'll try Windows Live Mail. I'm not sure what YeOldeStonecat meant by unfortunately ending up with IncrediMail but I'll try it if all else fails.

-Cool-

Figure out how to explain the issue well then write short documentation with funny pictures for fairly basic stuff.

Most phobias in this area are caused by information overload. They see too many options and freak out.

Simply writing something stupid like "A goblin will bite your face off while you sleep if you stray from the above written words [insert pic of flesh hungry goblin]." goes a long ways. Creating tunnel vision by humor is a reasonable solution if you aren't the author of the software you're trying to teach someone.

what I would do:

1. get account on gmail
2. install mozilla thunderbird
3. install custom theme on thunderbird with big ass fisher price style buttons
4. set thunderbird up for pop dl through gmail
5. point her to download/compose buttons, everything else will be naturally intuitive

not just easy but a practical solution for anyone, and not that the original thunderbird ui is bad, but a proper theme with nice big easily recognised buttons will make it easier to learn, since even gmail ui changes from time to time (are we still in beta?). this should be a set and forget type deal, but who knows what kind of crazy problems people can come up with.

Also consider getting her a keyboard with a dedicated "email" button. It really simplifies things when all she has to do is hit the email button to get started.

Outlook Express or the Vista/7 equivalent. They are pretty freakin' simple to use IMO and don't have too many bells and whistles, and only change when you update...

Back