Need your help with my 48tb Server

Depends on your redundant PSU.

Mine (for a 2U system) needs 2 cables... only the internal connectors are linked from a single place.

hmm, well then what are the double sets for?
Not sure.
Depends on your redundant PSU.

Mine (for a 2U system) needs 2 cables... only the internal connectors are linked from a single place.
Doesn't really make sense. Having independent power cables from certain power supplies is counterproductive. If they are directly connected, you could not hot-swap the power supplies and if they were not, then they might as well have used a common backplane since the main ATX and EPS cables are always going to be shared.

Well I was talking to my IT Guy at work and he actually has the same Supermicro case at his home and has done the exact PSU Mod that I was talking about. I couldn't beleive it. He told me not to touch the PSU and that he will do the mod for me. He says he has had it for about a year and no problems. He said it cuts the noise down half but does VOID the warranty. I'm excited!!!

I decided not to go with the Supermciro Case. I wasn't comfortable with the mod.

I ordered the Norco RPC-4220 and 2 of the Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8 cards. I wasn't sure on which cable to get so I can connect the 4 SAS ports on both cards to the backplane. Do I need to order this cable http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816133034 ? I also have 6 on board SATA ports so I ordered this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816133033 I just want to make sure I ordered the right ones.

I have a couple of questions about RAID.
1. I read the Supermicro Motherboard manual and it states to install 2 drivers for the OS. If I am doing a Hardware Raid am I still setting up those drivers.

2. Do I need to install the Intel Matrix Storage Manager?

3. I am not doing Raid on the Supermicro Add-On cards. Do I still need to install their drivers. When I was playing around on the Supermicro install everything installed and was working even though I never setup any Raid Drivers.

Last question. Who do I contact for the 3 Fan Mod?

Thanks.

Not sure.

Doesn't really make sense. Having independent power cables from certain power supplies is counterproductive. If they are directly connected, you could not hot-swap the power supplies and if they were not, then they might as well have used a common backplane since the main ATX and EPS cables are always going to be shared.

They are hot-swappable. Just:
unscrew it (busted one).
Unplug the power cable
pull it out
slide in new one
plug in power cable
screw it in.

Nothing new to see here.

1. Not sure.
2. No.
3. Yes.

As for the fan mod, I'm not sure, I bet someone else can answer that though. You should PM me again by the way. :)

They are hot-swappable. Just:
unscrew it (busted one).
Unplug the power cable
pull it out
slide in new one
plug in power cable
screw it in.

Nothing new to see here.
So they have 2 backplanes instead of one. Kinda silly. The Supermicro power supplies go up to 93% efficiency because of their backplane design.

Mine... is some sort of Portwell rebrand. Oh well. It's been working for 5 years now.

How about answers to my questions:D

So do I need to connect power to 5 or 10 connectors to the backplane?

I believe only 5 are necessary, but if you have 10 molex plugs, might as well use them all. I did answer your questions btw. :p

What about the connectors I talked about a couple of posts up.

Thanks.

The Corsair 620HX is actually a single rail design. If you look at the innards and actual testing, it's been shown to be a single rail PSU with a mislabeling of it being multi-rail.
Still paying a premium for modular cables when you'll be using most of them anyway.

It's on sale for $80.00 from $179.99. It seemed like a good deal. I just want a solid PSU. Will the power be sufficient?

Still paying a premium for modular cables when you'll be using most of them anyway.

Good point. I assumed the OP already had the PSU on hand.

Anyway, yeah either PSU will do the job.

Well I already ordered it this morning. Should I return it? Blue Fox says it won't be enough but others say it will. Who is right?

Well I already ordered it this morning. Should I return it? Blue Fox says it won't be enough but others say it will. Who is right?
No, it will be. I didn't know that the specs were mislabeled.

Yes it will be enough.

A lot of PSUs are marked as three 20a rails when really they are just a single 60a rail.
This is Marketing BS that they use because most consumers are stupid and 3 > 1

I just started the installation of WHS on raid 1 and have some questions.

1. WHS does not ask me at anytime to add drivers. It does reconize the OS drive. Do I need to add them in windows since I am doing a Hardware Raid and not a software Raid?

2. I set drive 1 in the bios to ACHI. When installation is done I will add the 2nd hard drive and use Raid 1. Should I have set the Bios to Raid 1st? Somebody told me to 1st set it to ACHI or it won't reconize Hot Swap drives until I reboot.

3. I am going to have a total of 22 drives. 6 on the Motherboard. (2 OS), 4 Hot Swappable and 16 more Hot Swappable on 2 of the Supermicro cards. Even though the Motherboard will have 2 OS for raid will it effect the other 4. Will they be Hot Swappable?

Thanks.

for the os raid 1, you need to set it to raid and then setup the array in the bios. and load the drivers for 2003 or xp during the install.

Do I set it up to raid 1 in the bios then run WHS setup?

In the 2nd page of the post somebody said to set it to ACHI in the bios, run setup then switch it too Raid 1. He said If I don't set it to ACHI before setup then the Hot Swappable Drives won't work in WHS?

Which one is it?

Ok... 48TB? Geezus... I don't see no pics... ;) I gotta see a pic of that setup, pretty please...

Ok here are the pictures. Still waiting on some more hard drives. Let me know what you think of the setup. I know I still have to starighten out some of the wires by the rack. Too many wires.

12.jpg

1258066839230_1.jpg

1258066844921_2.jpg

1258066849473_3.jpg

1258066853186_4.jpg

1258066856386_5.jpg

1258066859488_6.jpg

1258066863792_7.jpg

1258066868311_8.jpg

1258066872407_9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

Last edited:
looks great.....

those are some serious racks...

sonoes systems..... like 9 Dish TV boxes

3 AVRs

too many HTPCs to count and media extenders..

what type of remote are you using to control all of this?

definately not a simple harmony 890 RF

a universal brand?

would love to see some file transfer benchmarks on that system

how are those 2.5" drives?

The share drives are great benchmarks

the 2.5" are good for a notebook drive

Did you buy the remote system from a dealer?

What are people getting typically on their WHS OD Drives?

yes, I bought it from a dealer.

my 750gb WD Blue drive non-raid

Max 94 MB/s
Min 46 MB/s
Avg 76 MB/s

as per HDtune

Do you think by adding a faster 3.5" HD in will get faster speeds or I am getting that kind of speeds becuase of the Raid 1?

probably the 2.5" drives are just slower.....

i dont think you will have an issue with that array.

since PP2 there is no landing zone so file transfers go directly to the drive that it will be stored on bye passing the RAID 1 array anyways.

Also with that much data you will not beable to migrate off the storage pool if you needed to reinstall and there are plenty of occurances of reinstalls going wrong, which then you have to fresh install and migrate your data off the storage pool drives

PITA.

just have to ask, why did you go with 2.5" drives for your OS? is that what the Norco 4220 has... my 4020 just has 1 3.5" OS drive (non-hotswap)

Back