Need Your Advice and Opinion This Build...

davidtran007

[H]ard|Gawd
Newegg Wishlist

Building a midrange system for a friend. I know you can get several of these parts from other vendors for a lot cheaper but he wants to make payments on it with his Newegg Preferred Account. Comes out to $1100 after shipping and tax.

Will be running stock for now and maybe some OC'ing in the future. He is looking forward to playing Crysis on decent settings w/ 22' LCD.

Several issues that I had running into this build:

PSU - Debating between the modular 620HX and 750TX. Chose the TX at the moment since I know the Antec P182 has very good cable mangement.

Memory - I've owned several G.Skill HZ sticks and they have been superb. Was wondering if I should choose another brand like Corsair or Crucial

Case - Debating between the Antec 900, P182, or the Lian Li PC60BPLUS

Any advice, comments, or thoughts will greatly be appreciated. Looking to purchase in the next couple days. Thanks :)

Something is wrong with Newegg's wishlists, It's listing every part twice.

PSU: Get the 750TX.

RAM: Don't bother with DDR2 1066 RAM for the Q6600, even with overclocking in mind. All you need is DDR2 800 RAM:
G.Skill F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ 2 x 2GB DDR2 800 RAM - $80

Case: Ditch the Lian PC60BPlus since it still uses loud and inefficient 80mm fans. Ditch the Antec 900 because it's cooling and quality is matched by the significantly cheaper Antec 300, Coolermaster RC-590 and RC-690 cases.

And since he's planning on overclocking in the future, best to get the HSF installed from the start to avoid taking apart the PC again later on when he does decide to OC and needs a 3rd party HSF. I recommend this HSF:
ZEROtherm Nirvana NV120 120mm HSF - $50

If you really feel froggy about the RAM, the Egg has the DDR2 1000 version of what Danny Bui mentioned for the same price. I just bought 8GB's of it.

The ZeroTherm is nice, and you can also look at some of the Thermalright units, Sunbeam, Tuniq, and Arctic Cooling. They'll range anywhere from $30- $100.

Back