Need WRT54G Firmware

jbog91

Limp Gawd
I have a linksys wrt54g router and I need a hacked firmware that can do the following thing.

I need more advanced logging of incoming and outgoing. I would also like it if it would automatically resolve dns addresses. Could someone point me to some good firmware that can do this?

Thanks

For customized, or 3rd party firmware, I like dd-wrt.

Hyper-wrt is another popular one...very similar to standard Linksys firmware, basically it's just modified a bit. dd-wrt is all fresh from scratch, totally different look 'n feel.

I know about some of them but I don't know if they do what I want. I know about talisman, alchemy, dd-wrt, hyper-wrt, and it seems like a remember another good one. But which one does what I need? :confused:

Each of the firmwares has a webpage dedicated to it with a full features list. Read the features list and decide what's best for you.

DD-WRT is the most feature packed. And it is running linux and has a CLI available to you that you could write a custom script for if you really needed to.

If you want super heavy duty logging you might look into setting up a dedicated SNORT box.

jbog91 said:
I know about some of them but I don't know if they do what I want. I know about talisman, alchemy, dd-wrt, hyper-wrt, and it seems like a remember another good one. But which one does what I need? :confused:

Try hyper and dd...takes on few seconds to flash your router...a minute to two to configure it. Try them for a few days each, see what works for you. Saying "I need logging, and DNS resolving" doesn't really say anything past what default firmware can do. Try 'em out.

The default firmware does not resolve the dns addresses of the ip addresses in the log that I can acces fromt the web portal of the router.

I'll try some of them though and see which one I like. Thanks yall.

anyone got anything good for the v5? My v2.2 died on me, even though I tried dd-wrt, I had to put it to rest :(

Ive done googling, no dice, was wondering if anyone had personal experience.

We should start a thread "how do you lay your router to rest." I remember when my last router died and I put it to rest. It involved some explosives (cherry bombs, rockets, etc.), an assault rifle (borrowed), and a bit of anger. :D

jbog91 said:
We should start a thread "how do you lay your router to rest." I remember when my last router died and I put it to rest. It involved some explosives, an assault rifle (borrowed), and a bit on anger. :D

:LOL: I haven't decided what to do with/to it yet. It did give me a good run. Massive usenet connections were probably the cause of death. But I'm sure I could do some nice destructiong to it :D

Are you going to shoot it 50-70 feet in the air and try to shoot it as it fell down? :rolleyes: Oh the joy.

ERL857 said:
anyone got anything good for the v5? My v2.2 died on me, even though I tried dd-wrt, I had to put it to rest :(

Ive done googling, no dice, was wondering if anyone had personal experience.

Isn't v5 the first version that was running the propritary OS (not linux)?

Malk-a-mite said:
Isn't v5 the first version that was running the propritary OS (not linux)?

yea thats what ive heard, but imsure theres gonna be some people to come up with 3rd party for it

not at this point. The firmware is now close sourced so it probably won't happen.

What about the WRT54GS v2.0 (I think thats what I've got). I've never heard a definate answer as to what firmware will and won't fry it.

0ldman said:
What about the WRT54GS v2.0 (I think thats what I've got). I've never heard a definate answer as to what firmware will and won't fry it.

dd-wrt is very good

Back