Need Work Laptop Recommendation

prne10

Limp Gawd
I need a recommendation for a laptop that is going to be used mainly for work. Long story short, I spilled water on my laptop and it looks like it is fried. I haven't purchased one in nearly 5 years, so I'm not sure what to look for right now. However, I do have to get a new one fairly quickly (within the next 5 days), so shipping one is probably out.

I'm basically looking for a laptop that isn't too bulky, has good battery life, is durable, and one I can get 4-6 years out of before having to replace. Like I said, this is a work laptop so it is mostly for typing papers, opening / editing PDFs, and browsing the internet.

I'm in the City of Chicago, so I know there are a few electronics stores (Apple Store, Best buy, etc.). To recap:

I need:

1. light weight
2. good battery life
3. durability
4. longevity (4-6 year life cycle)
5. Screen size ~13-15"
6. Price range $500 - $1200

I haven't kept up with laptops, but would an Macbook Air be a viable option?

I would order a Thinkpad X, T, or W series laptop. Those are the high quality ones.

The T430 series is probably the best bet with your requirements.

Alternatively a Macbook or a Dell Latitude/Precision.

If you need it asap, mac is your best bet to fill your needs mmost of the higher quality pcs tend to be business machines, and are rarely available locally in my experience.

Your requirements aren't that demanding on a computer. I would look for a Thinkpad. If you spend $750 and up the quality is much better than the budget $500 units (in any brand).

I always buy used gaming laptops. They are built with better components. When they are built to play current games they generally serve business needs for several years. The con to them is they tend to be heavier. In terms of battery life look for as many cells, in the battery, as you can afford. Read reviews!!!! My last two laptops have been used Asus gaming machines. They have been flawless.

OrangeWolf's recommendations are spot on as well.

Don't buy a cheap Dell, Asus, HP! I repair and work on more cheap HP's and Dells then any other brand. Partly because they sell more but they aren't very good period. I have found cheap laptops are just that.

Back