Need wireless to reach 300ft.

• Thread starter Deleted member 88227
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 88227

What's the best hardware that I can buy for cheap to get a wireless signal ~300ft. Only thing blocking the line of sight is a bush/shrub.

Just needs connectivity and at least 1Mbps connection speed.

If you are talking about a point-to-point link:

2x MikroTik Routerboard RBSXTsq5nD

2x MikroTik QuickMount Pro

They’ll get you 100Mbit+ easy for about $130 for the whole project shipped to your door. At 300ft they won’t care too much about the bush.
Not too many cheaper (and reliable) options.

If you are talking about a AP/client setup then your limiting factor is going to be the transmit power on the device you are using. Best option would be a Routerboard RBQRTG-2SHPnDr2. You’ll get a good signal to the device but you may have issues with communication back to the AP.

If the other end has power the best option would be using the point to point for the link and then an AP for the clients to connect to.

Last edited:
Thanks.

I just need a point-to-point. The location with Internet will have it's own AP, router and switches for the immediate location while the other location I need will have it's own LAN setup as well. Though most of all those will be wired only.

I second the Loco M2s as I almost pulled the trigger on them for a wireless bridge project that never happened.

But one question is do you have any type of wire between the two locations? coax, phone wire, chicken wire? Anything at all?

Even with that bush in the way? How can you beat the $100 price/performance ratio of the Loco M2s?

I've had very bad luck with ubiquitis wireless products, so I no longer recommend them. To me, it's not worth the headache and useless/clueless support when you have an issue.

I've had very bad luck with ubiquitis wireless products, so I no longer recommend them. To me, it's not worth the headache and useless/clueless support when you have an issue.
Oh wow, that's terrible to hear. But who do you know that does 'cheap' and 'reliable' with great service too? It's like we're always having to choose two--cheap, works right, or great support.

Oh wow, that's terrible to hear. But who do you know that does 'cheap' and 'reliable' with great service too? It's like we're always having to choose two--cheap, works right, or great support.

This was paying 200$ for the UAPs, so it wasn't cheap or reliable. Replaced with a single asus RT66 and it covered the same area with no more issues. Spent weeks working with ubiquiti support upgrading controller software/UAP firmware and clients still had unstable connections when they were less then 30' away...

Wow, that's horrible. The Asus RTxx and TP-Link Archer series definitely pack a a lot of bang for the buck for sure, excelling in almost all 3 areas at once. I've never had to reboot our Archer c5 to restore wireless access. I've had to with other brands...

I've been using the M2 solution for about 4 years now, maybe 5. Never had an issue.

This was paying 200$ for the UAPs, so it wasn't cheap or reliable. Replaced with a single asus RT66 and it covered the same area with no more issues. Spent weeks working with ubiquiti support upgrading controller software/UAP firmware and clients still had unstable connections when they were less then 30' away...

As somebody that operates a network of thousands of Ubiquiti devices, I'd have to say you had some unfortunate luck. Was this very early versions of the unifi hardware/software?

We regularly hear from customers about how great our product performs. I don't work for, nor am I affiliated with Ubiquiti in about way, we just buy a lot of their products.

OP: A couple nanostation m5 would probably fit your needs just fine. Be sure to update to the latest firmware, and you should never have to worry.

Back