Need Wireless Router (with Vonage) Recommendation

Puterguru

2[H]4U
Well I'm taking the plunge into wireless and I need a good wireless router that works with Vonage. The only thing I can find on the Internet is the Linksys WRTP54G. I would have no problems purchasing that if I haven't read soooo many post about how crappy it is. Since I am a "Wireless Newbie", the less headaches the better.

So my question is:
What other wireless routers will work well with Vonage? (Googling Vonage+Wireless router only seems to bring up the WRTP54G)

OR

Does anyone here own the WRTP54G and are all of the problems exaggerated? Are the problems with the router now fixed?

Thanks in advance for the help.

I have a wired vonage router and seperateWireless Access Point. Try that combo for more flexiblity in your choices.

You dont have to have a Vonage enabled router, you can have whatever kind you want and put the vonage box behind it.

Indeed. I have a Belkin F5D7230-4 , which is wireless 54g, and have no problems with our vonage system. For that matter, this belkin replaced an older linksys wired-only router, and cleared up other network / internet problems we had as well.

Great so I would go from Modem to new Wireless router, and plug in my existing wired router to the Wireless since these usually come with a few ports for accerories?

Well, here's how mine is set up.

Motorola cable modem --->> Belkin 54g Router w/ 4 wired ports
...................................................X..........X.........X.........X........
...................................................|...........|..........|..........|........
..............................Vonage System..........|..........|..........|..........
..................................X............................|.........|..........|..........
...........Phone splitter / amp............Attic Switch....|..........|.........
..........................................................................|........Main Floor Switch
.......................................................................Open................

Plug your vonage directly into the the router that will be main (wireless i assume). I would suggest that, unless you need to use your Wired router for extra ports (like just using it as a switch), don't bother using two routers.

r00k said:
Well, here's how mine is set up.

...................................................X..........X.........X.........X........
...................................................|...........|..........|..........|........
..............................Vonage System..........|..........|..........|..........
..................................X............................|.........|..........|..........
...........Phone splitter / amp............Attic Switch....|..........|.........
..........................................................................|........Main Floor Switch
.......................................................................Open................

Plug your vonage directly into the the router that will be main (wireless i assume). I would suggest that, unless you need to use your Wired router for extra ports (like just using it as a switch), don't bother using two routers.
Ok, I understand that but my current router is a Linksys Wired Router with Two Phone Ports. Don't I have to plug that in to whatever wireless router I buy in order to use the phone ports for Vonage?
So in your example above my system would be:
Motorola cable modem --->> New Wireless Router w/ 4 wired ports
...................................................X....................X.........X.........X........
...................................................|......................|..........|..........|........
........................Linsys Wired Router 2 phone ports..........|..........|..........|..........
..................................X......................................|..........|..........|..........
...............................Phone..................................|..........|.........
..........................................................................|....................
.........................................................................................

Correct. I'm sorry, i was thinking in slightly different terms.

In my situation, the vonage system is a Linksys model PAP2 , which has 1 ethernet and two phone ports.

I mistook what you said, i think. I thought you meant using your old wired router, such as one with a WAN and 4 ethernet ports, in addition to your new wireless router.

..............................Linksys PAP2............|..........|..........|..........
..................................X.....X.....................|.........|..........|..........

My main concern was that by using two routers piggybacked you'd have a double-NAT situation for some or all attached nodes.

Thanks r00k, I appreciate the help. I guess I'll just start soing a little digging now for the best wireless router.

well, it depends on who you ask, but I say you should go for a Linksys WRT54G. Or you could also go for their newer slightly more fancy versions - WRT54GS or WRT54GX4

NETGEAR WPNT834 RangeMax 240
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833150023

or

D-Link DGL-4300
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833127158

Best SOHO performance routers under $250.

Check froogle as these guys are often on sale and/or may have rebates at different retailers.

Don't forget to disable DHCP and the Firewall on the Vonage router when you put it behind your gateway router. Also, stay away from the WRT54G, they are not what they once were and have not really aged well (read: slow processor/slower performance). If you want to go with a WRT54x line go with the WRT54GL, which is able to make use of the custom firmwares out there.

Puterguru said:
Thanks for the suggestions r00k and Orinthical.

Orinthical - I started looking at the D-link router you listed and it looks pretty good.
I was wondering what you think of the 802.11n(draft) RangeBooster router they also make?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833127077

Looks like it doesn't have WEP. Is that ok?

Is there a reason why you'd need preN? The range increasing technology and such that they are offering really doesn't work unless you pair that up with matched adapters. It looks like that's a pretty new product judging by the lack of articles from a brief trip to google however from those I've read it appears there are some problems with that model and it is not living up to its promises.

I'd stick with either of the two I recommended above; If wireless is more your thing than get the Netgear, but if you only need wireless for the occasional laptop or what-not, grab the DGL-4300.

Orinthical said:
NETGEAR WPNT834 RangeMax 240
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833150023

or

D-Link DGL-4300
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833127158

Best SOHO performance routers under $250.

Check froogle as these guys are often on sale and/or may have rebates at different retailers.

Don't forget to disable DHCP and the Firewall on the Vonage router when you put it behind your gateway router. Also, stay away from the WRT54G, they are not what they once were and have not really aged well (read: slow processor/slower performance). If you want to go with a WRT54x line go with the WRT54GL, which is able to make use of the custom firmwares out there.
I would go with the netgear

Puterguru said:
Thanks for the suggestions r00k and Orinthical.

Orinthical - I started looking at the D-link router you listed and it looks pretty good.
I was wondering what you think of the 802.11n(draft) RangeBooster router they also make?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833127077

Looks like it doesn't have WEP. Is that ok?

watch out with the pre-n and draft N stuff its not in FCC spec and can fuck with any thing else wireless nearby drowning out other ppls wi-fi

as to WEP its no in N any way WPA2 with AES is what you want to use any way

Well I have been doing lots of reading before responding to this thread since I don't like sounding like a n00b. :)

A few more questions:
The D-LINK doesn't support WPA2, however the Netgear does. So after reading some reviews I decided on the Netgear however their PCI card that supports WPA2 is $100! A D-LINK PCI card (WPA) is $33.

Question #1. Is the extra security of WPA2 worth it or should I just get the D-LINK?

Question #2. Since my main rig will be right next to this new wireless router can I just stay wired (to save money from having to buy a PCI Card)? I'm getting a wireless router so that two other machines can get on the Internet.

Thanks.

Puterguru said:
Question #1. Is the extra security of WPA2 worth it or should I just get the D-LINK?

Question #2. Since my main rig will be right next to this new wireless router can I just stay wired (to save money from having to buy a PCI Card)? I'm getting a wireless router so that two other machines can get on the Internet.

Thanks.

Answer #1: Yes, for the corporate environment or if your home networking gear supports it.

Answer #2: Absolutely - in fact, anything that can be wired... go wired. Ideally you should always have at least one wired device in order to do firmware upgrades, etc. - you don't want wireless going down in the middle of a flash. :)

Orinthical said:
Answer #1: Yes, for the corporate environment or if your home networking gear supports it.

Answer #2: Absolutely - in fact, anything that can be wired... go wired. Ideally you should always have at least one wired device in order to do firmware upgrades, etc. - you don't want wireless going down in the middle of a flash. :)

yup what he said

but if you have to use the wireless laptops and what not use WPA2 with AES is if you can

Thanks guys, I'm gonna look around some more. Hate having to spend $100 for a wireless PCI card, I don't mind the expense of the router. But if I don't find anything I guess I'll get the Netgear since it is WPA2.

I have three computers at home (no laptops) and thought it would be nice to get them all online to do some LAN games with my wife and son.

Back