Need websites that test & compare cases

HardyOne

Limp Gawd
I am looking for websites that test and compare hardware, especially cases, so I can do some reseach in finding the perfect case. I found bit-tech.net and they do a good job comparing cases for cooling, and that is just what I am looking for, except I would also like to see some noise testing. My computer room is average to above average for dust, otherwise I might consider the HAF 932 case. This one also has a problem for me with the mesh drive bay covers, as I have some switches I need to mount in the cover. The other case, the ATCS 840, seems like it would also be ideal, and looks a bit better, but didn't do too well in the cooling tests. The Corsair 800D looks like a perfect case also - would like to see some comparisons on it!!

So, anybody know of good "research" sites?

BTW, I am planning to use the following: Asus P6T deluxe MB, Corsair 750 PS, an i7 920
(overclocked to about 3.8 to 4.0), and a Thermalright IFX-14 CPU cooler with a fan in the middle of it. Haven't picked a fan yet, but something like a Noctura maybe.

Go to youtube and look for user 3dGameMan. He has extensive (maybe too extensive) video reviews on almost every case. He goes into great depth about each feature. If this is too cumbersome for you, you can also check out http://silentpcreview.com, although they mostly review HTPC / mini-itx cases. LegitReviews.com also reviews cases.

Because of often entirely opposite components it's very little use to do comparison between reviews on different sites. Also they never test cases for example with number of HDDs they're supposed to be able to hold... or take into account often wastly differing fan speeds etc. And often neither they do find problem with "high end enthusiast" cases which loose all working space if you have more than basic components.
So don't search reviews just for the sake of reviews but for pictures for how case is designed, how much there's space, what's component layout and what features it has and how easy things like cooling are to improve.

And most reviewers couldn't hear the difference between error beep of PC and stick of dynamite going off even if they were sitting on it so for noise aspect they're all useless (except SPCR) at the latest because of different fan speed of different cases and not even knowing what features quiet case must have.
So also in that you have to look for pictures for seeing is there: Any direct noise escape paths to other directions except back of the case; That HDDs are mounted with rubber grommets and that mounting doesn't involve any extra parts; Airflow inside covers all areas of the case with components in need of cooling and is laminar for maximum effectiveness with least fan speed instead of Charlie Foxtrot with fans fighting against each others for creating airflow short circuits and distracting airflow away from components. Also oversized non standard fans makes finding acoustically good replacements hard/impossible.

When you have list of requirements in two categories, those which are must have, and those which are just nice to have start looking for minimum requirements fulfilling cases and keep list of them with links to product page/reviews you've found.
And while doing that start looking for what features are missing and what can be corrected and is there anything which can't be corrected: Fans can be changed (if standard size) and lightness of aluminum is thing which can be rectified with bitumen mat while open noise leaking design is terminal disease.
When you've done that for three to four months you should be getting to somewhere and have a list with couple best fitting candidates.

Google is your friend. I don't know of any site that specializes in cases, but for the most part they're reliable because all you really need to put a system together in it and do some temp testing. There are some bad ones just open the case, look at it, write their thoughts, and call it day.

Honestly, I find it far more useful to ask people (like on this forum or xtremesystems) for similar setups to the one I'm going for to get the best impression.

Back