Need ur HELP forum :)

Zer0Cool

Limp Gawd
Hello everyone,

Its been a while since I had anything to post, but it seems that im stuck here and can really use your help.

I have SONY VAIO VGC-LT18E All in one PC
I'm trying to upgrade the RAM on it to at least 6GB
This is what crucial suggesting; http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-memory-for/Sony/vaio-vgc-lt18e

The PC has 2 RAM slots (it uses laptop size memory) so I would ether need 3 or 4 GB X2 sticks of RAM giving me 6 or 8 GB total. According to Crucial I need to use (DDR2 PC2-5300) not exceeding for then 4GB total, but I know from experience some PC's will let you use more then the specified specs, (Running windows 7 64 bit) so my questions are;

1) Would you say that I can use more then 4GB of total ram ether 6 or 8 total
2) Can i use different herz memory and not only 5300?
3) if someone can link me to the chippest 6/8gb kit i would appreciate it.

Thank you

The Sony PDF says 4GB maximum:

Type: DDR2
Installed: 2GB (1GBx2) PC2-5300
Maximum: 4GB
Speed: 667MHz

I don't think you're going to get more than that out of it. Most recent Bios update was 2008, didn't really need more than 4GB then.

Probably wouldn't go above 4GB because I doubt it supports more than 2GB per DIMM. Best to look at a different laptop if you really need more than 4GB.

Crucial seems to be pretty good at this. You could try contacting Sony support (not hopefully).
Possibly there is a Sony user forum?
You could try to find used memory 2x4 GB and see if it works, than try to sell it if not. No idea compatibility issues involved. DDR2 PC2-5300 is expensive new ($140?) and not much available used.
But 2008 BIOS, makes doubtful.

Back