Need (tw) hose clamps on each elbow joint?

cornelious0_0

[H]F Junkie
This is just a quick question I've got for you guys. I'm gonna be ordering some more peices of my watercooling including a different bayres, the Maze4 for my XT-PE, a Z-Chip block, some Zerex...and a few other things.....and what I wanted to know is if i should order two extra hose clamps for each elbow joint (4 in total) that I'm planning to use in the system. I'm thinking I should, but I just thought I'd get some extra input on it first.

i think its best to leave them unclamped and then you can let us know how long until it leaks

j/k clamp every fitting

thewhiteguy said:
Turn off sigs and you don't have to look at people's stupid lines.

Now now, the point still stands that you're only alloud 10 lines max....and I look at them in 1280x960.....if its at 10lines in 800x600 i really coudl care less, as you shouldnt be forced to adjust for ppl at low res's.....but if you're still over 10 lines at 1280 res or higher then something's gotta go. :p

Hopefully I'll be able to order the rest of my watercooling stuff on the 10th.....so yeah, I'll let you guys know how it goes. :cool:

HeThatKnows said:
Why the elbows? They're terrible for your flow...

I've got such a small loop that I really don't think it's going to have a WHOLE lot of effect, and I'm most likely going to be adding a second SP-750 in series, which will double my max head length, and basically eliminate any hinderance that the elbows might present.

It's because I'm doing as much as I can to keep the tubing very neat, and I'm using two elbows to come off the Maze4 for the XT-PE and point up, so it's easier for the tubes from my NB block to get to the Maze4, instead of making that ridiculously large arc around the card with my 1/2" ID tubing.

Each eblow is roughly equal in pressure loss to two feet of tubing. Not a huge drop, but... Yeah, I can see how looks count too.

I've heard that the CSP's shouldn't be in series. Or at least not one right after the other. Apparently the seal that separates the motor from the impeller doesn't handle high pressures. ymmv.

Consider using copper water pipe elbows. The have a raidus to the curve. Much better than the plastic ones that have an hard 90 deg. turn. There are some plastic ones out there with barbs that are nicely curved as well but I cant remember where I saw them.

Clamp everything, I hate those plastic clamps. Use automotive ones or the like.

If the elbows come after your block, they probably won't have any affect since the pressure has dropped quite a bit. But still, if you can, use radius elbows.

I do realise how much resistance the 90degree elbow joints can/will add, and that they are equivalent to a fairly decent length of tubing...but with two CSP-750's my head length is going to be/would be so ridiculously long (twice that of the Eheim 1250) that I hardly think it'd matter.

There was an earlier revision of the CSP-750, which is what I think those comment were initially made about, as with the newer revision I haven't heard really any negatives.

EDIT: And yes, I do plan on actually using aluminum automotive clamps....I've got some really nice screwdown silver clamps on my h2O setup right now, and I think a few more'd actually look pretty cool. :D

thewhiteguy said:
If the elbows come after your block, they probably won't have any affect since the pressure has dropped quite a bit. But still, if you can, use radius elbows.

It doesn't matter where they are, they still behave the same way. Pressure drop is still going to be divided amongst the blocks/other restrictions in the same ratios, it's basically the same principle behind electrical circuits in series.

zer0signal667 said:
It doesn't matter where they are, they still behave the same way. Pressure drop is still going to be divided amongst the blocks/other restrictions in the same ratios, it's basically the same principle behind electrical circuits in series.

And either way it wouldn't matter, because I've decided to only go with 3 elbow joints. One of them will be coming off my 3.5" bayres to go straight down to the inlet on the first CSP-750.....and the other two will be coming "off" the Maze4 GPU so that the "barbs" for the XT-PE point up towards the top of the case, making it MUCH easier to get the tubing from the Z-Chip block to the card.....and with those two clamps between two blocks it was gonna "hit" one or the other.

I realise it'll cut things back a bit, but again...with the second pump I'll be in more then good shape for the 3 block loop with 3 90 degree elbows.

Back