Need to upgrade memory, already running dual channel on my Abit IS7.....

Urraca

Gawd
Hey guys, I've been missing out on the scene recently, so i'm a little behind. Basically, I just received a new 6800 GT for Christmas, but am still only running 512MB of ram. I am looking to upgrade to 1Gb. Right now, I am running Corsair TwinX pc3700 (512x2) for dual channel. If I am looking to upgrade to 1gb, do I have to buy that exactly? Or do just the 2 new sticks have to be identical? Do all the sticks have to be rated as the same speed (even though they will all run natively at pc3200 speeds, but with OCing I will up them)?

Also, what has changed in the ram world recently, what should I look for? I remember vaguely about how my current sticks of RAM use a newer CH5 chipset, which had problems when using a 3:4 ratio while overlocking (ie it hit a hard wall for no good reason). What should I look for with ram, is their newer low-latency stuff? Any links to products would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance. System specs are below.

Check your motherboard manual. Some boards support more than three sticks in dual channel, other's don't. There usually is a special order in which to seat the sticks in the slots. If your board supports it, you can use 256x2, 512x1 in dual channel. In fact, thats exactly what I am doing now.

No, the sticks don't have to have the same specs. A faster stick will automatically slow down to whatever speed you set. Ofcourse, it you oc, the slower sticks may not be able to hit the speeds that the faster stick would have on its own.

Though its not nescessary, I reconmend you get memory from the same manufacturer you have now. It will probally play better with the other sticks in dual channel that way.

I'm sure someone else can answer your questions about newer lower latency stuff. I'm not that familiar.

Back