Need to upgrade from X800XT - Dell 24" just came

Brav

Limp Gawd
Actually I am looking to upgrade my whole system, if need be.

Anyhow, the current card has worked very well for me with my old POS 5 year old Sony 17" LCD. @ 1280x1024. Playing WoW, I got about 60 FPS most of the time, and 45-50 in busy areas. Now I am about 30, sometimes 20 :eek:

I dont mind spending the money if its worth it, but not twice as much for a 5-10% gain. What card should I get? I hear the X1900s are loud, and quietness is important to me. If an aftermarket fan will quiet it down for reaonable price, I'm game. I've always had ATI, but dont really have loyalty per se. Also, I am only running 1G of RAM, which I will soon be upgrading to 2G (with new Mobo and 840 chip).

I would wait for newer cards, but this massive monitor is chugging along. My base CPU temps have risen from 31C to about 37C at ide, and another 8-10 increase at load. .

Pretty funny, my Lappy runs much faster than my desktop now at the same exact settings :) (1920x1200)

If anyone wants my X800XT (PCI-E), I'll let it go for a reasonable price. Never been OC'd

edit: another thought - is it possible to buy another card and go SLI since I will be upgrading my mobo as well? if so, which would be better performance wise? I plan on playing other games besides WoW, other FPS, etc.

well honestly, with some games I find my XTX lacking for the 24" monster but i turn on Eye candy =p Of u can sacrifice some u should be ok with most high end single cards

Brav said:
So should I really be leaning towards SLI/Crossfiire?

if ur picky and want all eye candy maxxed yes, I havnt been able to use AA in alot of games with this screen but AF still ok

Alright. Can anyone else chime in that has experience with this monitor or other 1920x1200?

GRAW on the 2405FPW comes alive when I upgraded to a 512mb graphics card.
other games I play in apect ratio mode.

My friend has a X850PE and works well on his 19" but games like GRAW look stunning
on a 2405FPW in 1920x1200 everything on which was only possible when I went 512Mb GPU. ;)

You don't need crossfire or SLI for this monitor ..I tried with 1x 7900GTX and no diffrence in play or quality...

If your currect card is a X800 you may want to 7900GTX or X1900XT etc..

best of luck...

Alright, thanks. Trying to decide between X1900XT and XTX. Willing to OC if thats the main difference.

Brav said:
Alright, thanks. Trying to decide between X1900XT and XTX. Willing to OC if thats the main difference.

for 90% of the cards it is the only difference, the other 10% use 1.2NS ram over th 1.1NS ram found on all the XTX cards, if u want to risk a bit of Mem oc go for the XT and save the 40-50bux, drop it on a nice heatsink instead =p VF900

Brav said:

XT will easily achieve XTX speeds so it is really up to you. Save the 100.00 and get better RAM or power supply.

I would upgrade the ram to 2GB first... i think you're going to see a significant difference from just that, and you may not even need to upgrade the GPU, at least not just for WoW.

OK, ordered the XTX for 469. XT was 435.. Also going to get 1Gx2 - any recommendations for good ram that I can OC in the future?

Back