Need to upgrade cable modem on Xfinity - what to pick?

metropole

Limp Gawd
I need to upgrade my current Motorola SB6120 cable modem which has been great, but is limiting my speed now.
I want to buy and not to rent.
Since I appear to keep my HW for a long time I am assuming it is good to choose a DOCSIS 3.1.
It needs to be a Comcast approved modem. What should I pick? Looking for something reliable. Only modem function, no router, wifi, or VOIP. I am planning to go to 600Mps for now.

MB8600 or a MB7621 or MB8611? or other brand?
Netgear CM1000

Yeah, no reason not to go DOCSIS 3.1 now. Comcast is phasing out earlier versions, even for lower-bandwidth plans.

Arris is still considered the standard for cable modems, AFAICT. FWIW, I've had good experience with a Netgear unit (CM1150V, at the time I picked it up the only option that also supported Comcast's phone service (eMTA)). IIRC Motorola modems now are not the same lineage as the older units, which were rebranded Arris units, no idea how the current models perform.

Key differentiator in models now looks to be whether it comes with one/two gigabit ports, or a single 2.5 Gb port, the latter being newer/pricier. If you expect to hold on to the modem for long enough to see >1 Gb service I'd consider getting one with a 2.5 Gb port.

Looks like the Netgear CM1100 is currently the cheapest. My current Motorola SB6120 is actually an Arris as well.
I was thinking to get a MB7621 or CM700 as it would be sufficient, but are DOCSIS 3.0

Looks like the Netgear CM1100 is currently the cheapest. My current Motorola SB6120 is actually an Arris as well.
I was thinking to get a MB7621 or CM700 as it would be sufficient, but are DOCSIS 3.0
I have had a MB7621 for about a year with the blast package and have had no issues so far.

Back