Need to update my HTPC Graphics card, resolve HDMI issues

Rock&Roll

[H]ard|Gawd
Hello all,
My current HTPC is just a recommissioned C2D gaming rig with an 8800GTX...

I'm looking to upgrade to something that uses less power, and would have native HDMI video and HDMI audio. I'm hoping a native HDMI card would resolve issues I'm having currently.

My TV is a hand-me down I refurbished--A 2008 model Toshiba 32av500u. Presently, this is hooked up via a DVI -> HDMI cable. I have to use HDMI, as the TV does not display VGA properly. Problem is after the PC wakes up, it hardly ever can detect the TV without a full shutdown and restart.

Could I count on my display detection issues to be resolved by switching to a HDMI video card? As well, who makes the best drivers for HDMI? I'm not sure if I should choose nVidia or AMD....TV's max resolution is 1366x768, so tons of VPU power isn't really required.

As a side question, would I be better off just getting a motherboard with integrated graphics and HDMI rather than a GFX card? Changing out mobo's would be no problem.

I have no experience with NVIDIA cards in an HTPC, but my 4670 handles its HTPC duties with nary a problem (occasionally I have to mute then un-mute to get sound, but I'm not sure if that's an issue with the card or the TV), so I can give AMD cards a somewhat general endorsement.

As for going with a mobo with integrated graphics, that's certainly an option, but most integrated solutions don't have the required grunt to drive a lot of the video post-processing effects that make HTPCs so worth it.

I use NVIDIA for my HTPC, no issues.

I use a GT 240 DDR5 with HRMI (older card, can't bitstream DTS-HD or Dolby True-HD bluray audio, works fine on standard DD or DTS audio)

A GT 430/GT 520 will allow bitstreaming DTS-HD and True-HD audio if that is important to you.

I picked up a 5570 (Passive) and it has worked awesome. That would be cheaper than replacing motherboards. I am using a Sharp LCD in the same vintage of yours and it works all the time every time.

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I picked up a MSI 5450 from Microcenter, since they had a MIR that makes them like $25.

Hooked up to my TV's HDMI. Works perfect. Always recognizes the TV.

9w idle power consumption...big step down from 130w of the 8800. Though, the passive heatsink does get pretty toasty. Reminds me of the old passive HS on my Voodoo 3000.

As well, the image quality is A TON better. SD cable signal looks substantially smoother. Colors are nicer. Though, I've noticed blacks and whites are little less defined on lagom lcd-test. Not sure why that is, just yet, as I have full-range 0-255 on. It could just be the TV, since it's not running in a "PC mode" anymore.

I don't like ATI drivers for gaming. But for HTPC, I think they're better than nVidia's. :)

Last edited:
I don't like ATI drivers for gaming. But for HTPC, I think they're better than nVidia's. :)

Have to disagree here. I have had a 5450, 6450, 6770 as well as Nvidia 8500GS and GT430 in my HTPC. The ATI drivers constantly break things whereas Nvidia has been much more solid. This really becomes exacerbated if you are using Windows Media Center, but if you're not then ATI should be ok.

aside from having some small issues with resolution scanning (resetting itself several times upon initial setup then fine), I've found ATI's drivers to be perfectly fine with WMC, which I use all the time on my ceton rig.

I would go with either a 430 or 6570 anything lower is really limiting yourself for little gain in the money saved. I would not get the 520. I have the card and after much finagling i got it to be acceptable, but nothing more than that. Any post processing whatsoever introduces way too much stutter on high bit rate content.

Though, I've noticed blacks and whites are little less defined on lagom lcd-test. Not sure why that is, just yet, as I have full-range 0-255 on. It could just be the TV, since it's not running in a "PC mode" anymore.

Just to update, did find out this problem was caused by my TV, not the video card. My TV is goofy, in that the OSD brightness and contrast don't really seem to work they way I've known them on other TV's and monitors. It's like no matter what you do, you always have too much saturation and/or contrast.

Easily solved by adjusting the controls in the drivers. Had to do this with both nVidia and AMD. So, no fault of either side.

Back