Need to stick some i7-8700's (non-k) into something

hardware_failure

[H]ard|Gawd
I have handful (3) of i7-8700 SR3QS CPUs just collecting dust.

Calling all super smart budgeters - what is the cheapest barebones I could seek out to house these in? A Dell or HP on ebay? (the limited PSUs make me cringe) something else?

Thanks for reading / help.

Something like an Optiplex 5060. I’m pretty sure that’s the right series for 8th gen at least

Do you live near a Microcenter? They occasionally have older motherboards hanging around on heavy discount in the open box area. You can always call and ask to save yourself a trip if it's a long way.

Do you live near a Microcenter? They occasionally have older motherboards hanging around on heavy discount in the open box area. You can always call and ask to save yourself a trip if it's a long way.
No, I WISH - kills me to see all of those Microcenter deals posted everywhere.

Used to have a (well two!) Frys near by before... well ya know. bought countless MB/CPU combos from them, even forgot about some of them and dug them up years later! lol.

If you're not overclocking (non-k parts so I assume you aren't) and not using a dedicated GPU then the PSUs in those Dells or HPs should be perfectly fine.

I have handful (3) of i7-8700 SR3QS CPUs just collecting dust.

Calling all super smart budgeters - what is the cheapest barebones I could seek out to house these in? A Dell or HP on ebay? (the limited PSUs make me cringe) something else?

Thanks for reading / help.
I would gladly take one off your hands for the right price! I have an optiplex 7060 I'm about to bring online ith an i58500, wouldn't mind an extra little oomph!

maybe use them to practice modding?

You can try to mod a Z170 motherboard to support 8th gen and 9th gen CPU.

Back