Need to simulate various latencies and bandwidths in virtual network

KarmaPoliceSTL

Limp Gawd
So here's the plan... I need to do some testing of software across varying network link types... the basics are as follows:

4 primary network links... each "link" needs to be configurable for bandwidth and latency ranges (i.e. 5mbps @ 60-100ms)...

1) Client - Main Server
2) Branch Office Server - Main Server
3) Branch Office Client - Branch Office Server
4) Branch Office Client - Main Server

I don't want to do a bunch of client (being server or client machine) settings, instead I would like to handle it at the network layer... for example having a pfsense router with the routes above setup and being able to assign the bandwidth and latency attributes to each route...

I know that pfsense can handle bandwidth through traffic shaping... however I can't seem to find any note of it doing latency...

A company I used to work for had a device they used to do this called a "network nightmare" (not sure if that was the brand or just a fun name)... however I want something virtual that I can plug into my vmware setup as an appliance or build as an instance...

I've come across WANem, but I'm not sure if that's the best tool for the job yet... looking for other thoughts/ideas.

Thanks in advance!

hmm, think i answered my own question via research... apparently there are delay settings in pfsense traffic shaper limiters as well... i'll go that route.

Vyatta can do this as well, or VyOS now I guess. I believe the shapers can even be applied to bridge interfaces.

Back